Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Get your questions about fraud answered

Message 21 of 63

Yes, I've used nomorobo.com for years and have learned to not react to the first ring of the phone.  There seems to be less of those type calls (blasts?) and more and more of the spoofing my local phone exchange numbers.  Hopefully some genius will come up with a way to identify these callers and prosecute them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 63

Another GREAT, FREE service which blocks robo calls is "NOmo Robo" .com. According to one of their recently released news releases, they've successfully intercepted AND stopped more than a billion robo calls! Since signing up for this FREE service, we rarely receive unwanted calls!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 63

I get so many calls that go to voicemail but leave no message that it gets very time consuming to clear them from voicemail.  If I;m home and can check the caller ID and it's an obvious scam call

(crazy name - invalid area code/exchange combo etc.) I use the two thumb one second combo

(press on followed by off immediately).  Is this a bad procedure to follow?  I seem to remember a

comment about letting the scammers know that my number is an active one by responding in any way.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 63

@LindaS567836 Thank you for sharing the tips via your Facebook page. Have you checked out the Fraud Watch Resource center? There are about 50 different tip sheets on all the scams, here is the link. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see them. These are great to share. https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/?cmp=RDRCT-CON-FRD-FRDWCHNET_SEP2018

If you are using WiFi in your home and are required to use a password to get into it, it's most likely safe and secure, but if you are not sure, I would reach out to your provider and ask them to verify the security of it. Don't trust free public WiFi though, like the ones at the airport or coffee shops, that don't require passwords. These are NOT secure and your personal information could be stolen.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 63

@LindaS567836 The "Amazon" scam is one of the biggest email scams right now. We are hearing from hundreds of folks on our Fraud Watch Helpline about this scam. The scammers are sending out millions of emails in hopes that one of their recipients has ordered from the company recently. Which many people do use that service, so it works. They will usually say there is an issue with your order and click on a link to verify your account, which leads the unsuspecting victim to a fake website where they will collect your personal and financial information. If you get one of these emails and have recently ordered something, type the correct website into your browser and log into your account and verify there are not any issues.

Check out the fraud resource center tip sheet on phishing scams for more information. https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2019/phishing.html?intcmp=AE-FWN-LIB3-POS7

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 63

@ReTiReD51 I appreciate you and all of our online contributers! By sharing tips and education on how to protect yourself helps each other. I think you are spot on by saying education is key to stopping these scams! Let's keep up the good fight! Thank you for sharing your tips. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Get your css as calls about fraud answered

Message 27 of 63

@tn47614591 I have received one of those as well, with my OWN name, and it certainly caught me off guard. The scammers are using a spoofing technology to minic your phone number or a local phone number in the hopes you pick up, and it works for them. My best advice is don't pick up unless you absolutely know who is calling, let it go to voicemail. If it's important they will leave a message. Now that you know about spoofing, next time you see a phone number similar to yours, you can assume it's a spoof.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Get your css as calls about fraud answered

Message 28 of 63

We are getting spam calls now that shows our name and number on our caller ID. I picked up because I thought it was my husband calling home.  Where it was someone stating they were Microsoft. Today we received one with a local store on the caller ID.  Is there anything we can do about this.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 63
Can that be trusted?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 63
I again am just an older person here but also was worried about online interviews. They want you birthday which doesn't seem right or legal. And more personal info. Can that be trusted?
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.