If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ancestry.com changes your credit card information to make unauthorized charges

Message 21 of 25

I looked them up, just for grins. I found nothing but hundreds of complaints, going back 5 years or so, explaining this practice. Nothing new, apparently, for this website. Based on overwhelming negative reviews, I don't know why anyone would use them.

They are not the only company that does this...................... 

Here is info allowing this practice:

Visa Account Updater For Merchants

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ancestry.com changes your credit card information to make unauthorized charges

Message 22 of 25

@sinkcar - If that's the response you got from Ancestry, I would go to Visa & get their side of the story .. because it may not match! If you don't want the renewal, I would make clear to both Ancestry & Visa, that you knew the card was set to expire X date, you were sure the auto-renewal would require your approval .. and you didn't intend to give it, and you want the charge reversed!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25
We used a regular VISA card. I have never had that luck with Ancestry, but have always renewed online.  

And yes, absolutely, I am saying they changed the expiration date on my credit card. They don't deny it. I was told on the phone by Ancestry, that they are a 'trusted' merchant with the bank and can therefore change the expiration date. This is becoming a fairly common occurrence and not just by Ancestry.  See http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/subscription-auto-renew-guess-expiration-date-1585.php 

As many Ancestry members, I am a senior citizen (age 65) and my mother is 86. Although this change of expiration dates does not directly target senior citizens, I can see where we might fall prey to this practice far more often than others. 

This is very frightening.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

@sinkcar

I have never heard of such a thing.

What type of credit card did you use when you purchased the 2015 membership? Are you saying they changed the expiration date on your Visa or Mastercard?

Did you purchase your membership online or by telephone.

We have purchased Ancestry's memberships off and on for years and never have they forced us to accept their auto-renewal policy.

You can order a membership by telephone and instruct them that you DO NOT want auto-renewal. They will start your subscription but they will also send you a cancellation notice for the same subscription, at the same time, showing the date of the subscription's end. But, you have to make it very, very, very clear to the Customer Associate that you DO NOT want auto-renewal.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Ancestry.com changes your credit card information to make unauthorized charges

Message 25 of 25

For years, I have been purchasing a membership to Ancestry.com for my mother. 2015 was the last year I had planned to do this. Because Ancestry.com does not let you be a member unless you accept their auto renewal policy and provide a credit card for the account, I knew that I had to make sure my card would not be charged.  When I purchased the 2015 membership, I used a card which was due to expire in September 2015.

Going into the 2016 membership year, I was confident that the membership ($300) would not auto-renew as my credit card on record had expired. Imagine my shock when I found that ANCESTRY CHANGED THE EXPIRATION DATE on my card and processed the renewal anyway. And apparently they are allowed to do this. 

This must be stopped! What protection do we have against this unethical violation? AARP leaders, can you investigate?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!