AARP Opposes Attempts to Remove the ACA's Law Age Rating Limits and Pre-Existing Conditions Protections. Learn More!

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: Ancestry.com changes your credit card information to make unauthorized charges

Message 1 of 25

I had same problem with a gym and if you agree to being renewed anexpired credit card will not stop them they will call your bank show them your agreement and the bank will let them charge the amount due. Chase did this to my son twice. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: Ancestry.com changes your credit card information to make unauthorized charges

Message 2 of 25

I can understand your frustration.  I ran into something similar with Spotify, and it was very hard to cancel.  Have you tried calling Ancestry and telling them what happened?  If the renewal just took place, I would guess they would reverse the charge or at least give you a prorated refund.  It's a tactic to require autorenewal for subscriptions as it makes it more likely people will keep participating (paying?).  I'd call them up.  A lot of companies are trying to be more customer friendly and will cooperate.  They don't want to alienate people.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 25

I purchased 2 kits through AARP as Christmas gifts. Never authorized AARP to provide Ancestry.com with my CC number. I never clicked on auto-renew. Still waiting for test results from both kits and today I get a $149.50 charge on my CC. Then I receive an email for the same 6 month program for $99.00. This is the just first kit. How can I stop the second kit from auto-renew as it is a gift for a non-family member?

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 25

I am getting so tired of reading about people's expectation for things to be free. When you worked, did you donate your time or did you expect compensation for the hours you put in?  We have saddled our children and grandchildren with $20 Trillion dollars of debt and now we apparently going to start working on our great and great-great grandchildren.

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 25
ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT, LIKE THE "TERMS & CONDITIONS" (TNC) FOR EACH WEBSITE/COMPANY WITH WHICH YOU GIVE PERMISSION TO AUTO-RENEW. MOST OFTEN THEIR TNC STATE THAT AUTO-RENEW WILL CONTINUE UNTIL YOU ACTIVELY REVOKE YOUR PERMISSION THEN THEY EXPLICITLY STATE HOW THAT REVOCATION MUST BE DONE. THE MORE UNSCRUPULOUS COMPANIES WON'T ALLOW YOU TO CANCEL ONLINE BUT FORCE YOU TO CALL A SPECIFIC NUMBER DURING A SPECIFIC TIME TO CANCEL SO THEY CAN HAVE A LIVE HUMAN TRY TO TALK YOU OUT OF IT!
IT IS ALL LEGAL BECAUSE YOU AGREE TO IT WHEN YOU SIGN-UP.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 25

Auto-renew means you give them authorization to renew each year.  Why does that surprise anyone?  You can stop auto-renew, but it is very convenient for those of us who would prefer not to worry about renewals.  You don't want it any more?  Stop the auto-renew.  Good grief.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 25

Unfortunately, you didn't call them and tell them not to auto renew.  I have cancelled multiple times, and restarted, and have never had an issue.  But, you can't just assume a cancellation with anyone. 

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 25

I have been using Ancestry.com for over 12 years now.
Yes, they do require a credit card to be on record and will automatically renew every year unless you call them.
That said, they give you plenty of notice. At least 2 months prior to the end of my subscription I will start getting email reminders that my account will renew on the set date and when I use their site there are reminders that pop up that renewal is coming soon.
Have you tried calling their customer service for a refund? They are very good to deal with.
Like any membership - you need to read the fine print before you sign up. Ancestry spells out all of these details and you have to click to agree when you sign up.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 25

Once they suck you in, you're pretty much at their mercy. The Mormon Church is in control of Ancestry.com and they're a huge institution. They got a lot of my ancestral information wrong. I'd go with another site and check with the BBB!!!

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 25

That is very true.  Hulu has been charging my expired card for months and the credit card company lets it go thru.