AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Cyber Secure

Message 1 of 4

I've not done #2 with better authentication. We have gone over all our sites and changed passwords to more complex ones. I'm another luddite and the only e-device I have is a tablet, strictly used on travel. I follow the wi-fi advice on that. I only use it for email and travel related info, nothing else.

I would add that it's not enough to simply have good passwords. You have to go through the pita of changing those passwords regularly. Because major hacking is a weekly event now, you can't rest on your past laurels. We keep a document at home with all of our passwords, security questions, etc. We have that on a Word document. We store everything at home --- nothing on the cloud

We now go in regularly and change our passwords. Some sites force you to do that, most (in my  experience), do not.

And I have no interest in having anything in a house connected to the internet. The idea of house monitoring and remote device control is great, but too easily hacked. I'll continue to flip the manual switches on and off myself.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4

I follow these guidelines as well. Part-time Luddite that I am, though, I don't have a Bluetooth device.

We also turn off power to our smart TV monitor when not in use.

And we have our computer monitor cameras covered up.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4

#5 “Turn off your Bluetooth when not in use.”

I’m guilty forgetting about turning off my Bluetooth and it’s so easy to turn off too. The other tips I practice religiously.

Community Manager

6 Tips To Help You Stay Cyber Secure

Message 4 of 4

October is Cyber Security Awareness Month. Here are six tips to help you stay cyber secure:

1. Create strong passwords. In fact, instead of a password, create a passphrase. Make it something unique to you and easy to remember. For example, if you’re a pie lover, your passphrase could be Ilovechocolatepie. Like to golf? How about Golfismyfavoriteactivity. Think of something that would be easy for you to remember, but hard for a thief to crack.  
  2. Enable stronger authentication. Stronger authentication (also known as two-factor or multi-factor authentication) adds an extra layer of security beyond using a password to access your accounts. Most major e-mail, social media and financial platforms offer multi-factor authentication to their users. To learn more, visit www.lockdownyourlogin.com.  
  3. Think before you connect. Before you connect to any public wireless hotspot such as those in an airport, hotel, train/bus station, or café be sure to confirm the name of the network and exact login procedures with appropriate staff to ensure that the network is legitimate. Many fake networks have seemingly legitimate names. 
  4. Protect your money and your information. Do not conduct sensitive activities, such as online shopping, banking, or sensitive work, using a public wireless network or a public computer.  
  5. Turn off your Bluetooth when not in use. Bluetooth enables your device to connect to other devices. For example, it’s what allows you to operate your smartphone hands free while you are in the car. When it’s on, it can open you up to vulnerabilities. 
  6. Keep your software updated. Keep your operating system and other software strong by installing updates to improve your device’s ability to defend against malicious software, also known as ‘malware’.

When it comes to fraud, vigilance is your number one weapon. Do you currently follow any of these practices? What would you add to the list?