Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: 5 Ways to Stop Spam Calls

Message 1 of 20

I HAVE STOPPED HAVING TO RESPOND TO 100% OF MY IPHONE SPAM CALLS BY USING THE ONLY THE IPHONE RING TONES.

1)  SET IPHONE BASIC RING TONE TO "CHIMES"    I CAN'T HEAR THIS RING TONE WHEN PHONE IN POCKET.

2)  SET IPHONE CONTACTS RING TONES TO "BEACON"  I CAN HEAR THIS  RING TONE  (THIS TOOK ME ABOUT 35 MINUTES TO DO CAUSE I HAVE A LOT OF CONTACTS AND YOU HAVE TO SET EACH NUMBER INDIVIDUALLY.   I'M RETIRED AND FED UP WITH UNSOLICITED PHONE CALLS)

3) CHANGED IPHONE VOICE MAIL MESSAGE TO "PLEASE LEAVE YOUR NAME AND NUMBER AND I'LL CALL YOU BACK ... UNLESS YOUR ARE ONE OF THE MANY ANNOYING TELEMARKETERS"

3)  CHANGED IPHONE VOICE MAIL ALERT TO A VERY LOUD RING TONE SO I CAN HEAR IT

RESULTS SO FAR:  GOT VOICE MAIL FROM 2 LEGITIMATE PHONE CALLS THAT I CALLED BACK AND LATER RESET RING TONE FOR THESE NUMBERS TO "BEACON".  NO VOICE MAILS FROM SPAM CALLERS.

THIS DOES NOT STOP SPAM CALLS FROM COMING TO MY IPHONE BUT IT DOES KEEP ME FROM KNOWING IT WHICH WORKS FOR ME.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

kudos 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

We do the same thing. We joined nomorobo.com - that stops about half of our span/robo calls. Due to robo calls we never turn on our cell phone unless we want to call someone. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

It takes a little patience but it works very well. When a call comes in, I answer if there is no response to my "Hello", I hang up, pull up the last number on my recent calls, block that number and erase/delete any and all calls from that number. It may take 4-5 weeks to block and delete but it works. Very seldom do I receive Spam or Nuscience calls nowadays. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

Agreeing to “...keep them on the phone as long as possible...”.  If just a few people do this it can use up their entire day making them unproductive with their venture.  

It can also be a lot of fun. Pretend to be interested. Give them a fake name and credit card number (for the fraudsters). Take a break and tell them to hang on. Say someone is at the door.

After speaking with one young lady about what she is doing and how she is interrupting people’s lives she said she had been feeling bad about this and was going to quit right away and go back to the university to study something meaningful.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

I am tired to spam calls. I mostly get this kind of calls daily. I have no idea why my number is easy to get them. I always need to 800notes.com, whophones.com, etc to check phone numbers. Make sure it is a real callers.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

nomo robo is one of the best out and really does work, however,  AT&T  traditional land lines can't be connected as of this date if we call this monopoly and really get on their nerves they may bring it in.after all this is the same group that sold these lists for a profit

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

In frustration, I decided to play a game with a caller.  I asked for their number so I could call them back in case my cell phone droped them (I was on my land line) and then held the phone out a ways and said I was having trouble hearing them. At first they wouldn't give me their number, but I kept up the game doing the same thing saying I live way out in the sticks and calls often drop and "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you.)  When they gave me their number then I quit the game by telling them "Good, now I am going to report you to the Oregon Attorney Generals Office and have them prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law because I am on the Oregon Do Not Call list".  They must talk with each other because my telemarketer calls have droped to near 0.  Hope this helps.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

My wife and I only have cell phones and the extra calls were driving us bonkers ! We went to an AARP coffee and one of the local sheriffs suggested we use an app called HIYA that he uses. We downloaded it and coupled with another app ZEDGE ( give your Contacts unique ringtones) the calls have dropped off dramatically. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!
Top Authors