Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: 5 Ways to Stop Spam Calls

Message 11 of 20

Scam experts say that even answering these calls can be harmful. I have a cell phone only & if a caller isn't in my contacts, I don't answer. If a message isn't left, I block the number. There are several good apps for this & I use "Should I Answer." 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20

If the phone rings and I say hello they better say hello quickly or I hang up. This morning I got the computer virus phone call and I responded with "What's your problem?" No response and I hung up.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

On my cellphone:

Set special ringtone for family and friends. All other calls go to annoying default ring. Don't even have to see the number. If it does happen to be legimate or important, they will most likely leave a message.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

Save your voice. Use a whistle!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

We don't answer our landline phone anymore.  We have the answering machine tell them we will call back if it is a legitimate call.  We barely use our cell phones very much so not enough experience having to block a call.  What others have stated so far they are doing the right thing.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

If the call is on my cell and I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.  If they leave a VM I'll check listen.  If not, I google the number.  I block all numbers that leave a scam-like message or are listed as spam when I google.  If the calls comes on my l landline, I just hang up.  On a few occasions when I am feeling quite irritated, I have pressed 1 and either screamed (no words, just a scream) into the phone when a human answers or wasted their time by acting as if I were interested and keeping them on the line as long as possible.  I have not had any "your computer has an virus" since keeping some guy on the phone for almost 20'.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20
Hi as a fugitive from justice the IRS is going to put me in jail I have to say your advice is sound except for one thing DO NOT use * 69 to return ANY calls all that does is giving your phone to the scammers. The same advice goes for dead air calls. The criminals are hoping you use that call back tool to take over your phone. Be very careful
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

I have a similar routine on random calls. I only have a cell phone and when a call comes in if it's not on my list I don't answer. If the caller doesn't leave a message then it's obviously a spam call. It works great most of the time but a couple of times my daughters called from their work numbers, which I didn't have so I didn't answer, and they didn't leave a message. Later they called and asked why I didn't answer, after that call their work numbers were added onto my contact settings so I would know if they called it was them. Now they know to leave a message if they call from a random number.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20

I don’t have a landline, cell only.  I have no recorded greeting.  Tried a few screening apps, not impressed.  If I don’t recognize the number, even though it matches my area code and prefix, I don’t answer.  I Google the number after the disconnect and decide whether to return the call or Block the number and delete the call.  My choice has virtually always been Block/delete.  The only voicemail I’ve saved is the one threatening me with arrest for unpaid tickets....from a state I’ve never driven in!  

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

5 Ways to Stop Spam Calls

Message 20 of 20

Inundated with unsolicited phone calls? You might not be able to stop all of them, but these five ways to reduce spam calls can help stem the tide. 

What would you add to the list of do-it-yourself defenses?

Kudos
Views
Replies