Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

"I have a dream..." - remembering MLK, and "Dream" playlists

Conversationalist

"I have a dream..." - remembering MLK, and "Dream" playlists

“I have a dream…” “Four score and seven years ago…” “When in the course of human events…” These speeches are indelible landmarks in the history of the United States and its battle against oppression and the evils of tyranny, slavery, and racism. Each furthering the belief that “we hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.” On this, Martin Luther King’s birthday January 15th, the weekend of Civil Rights Day, I thought I’d pay tribute to MLK.
While mundane compared to the profound work and legacy of MLK, today’s blog will focus on 3 playlists, in honor of the 3 momentous speeches referenced above. They play off of MLK’s “I have a dream” speech, with playlists including songs featuring in their titles the words “dream,” “dreams,” and “dreamer,” though the last playlist further includes songs featuring the words “dreaming,” “dreamboat,” “dreamlover,” and “daydream.” They are among my earliest word themed playlists, and I think you’ll really enjoy them.
Surely this music was not quite the dream of MLK. He, and visionaries like him, our founding fathers, Gandhi, Mandela, Shakespeare, Mozart, Da Vinci, and others like them all had vision and dreams and changed the shape of the world around them. Our dreams may not be as lofty or world-changing, but they are no less important. If you dream it you can do it.
I hope that this music and my blog truly serve as a “revival: a new presentation of something old,” a springboard to return to the music of your youth, or perhaps to find artists you want to discover anew. Rediscover the passion of music in your life.
Live in the moment. Enjoy the moment. Love the moment. Listen to the MUSIC!
Conversationalist

It does not have "Dream" in the title but it is in the lyrics and it honors his dream.

Stevie Wonders - "Someday at Christmas"  Some of the lyrics are:

"When we have found what life's really worth
There'll be peace on earth
Someday all our dreams will come to be
Someday in a world where men are free
we'll see a land
With no hungry children, no empty hand
One happy morning people will share
Our world where people care
someday there'll be no tears
When all men are equal and no man has fears
One shinning moment one prayer away
From our world today
Someday all our dreams will come to be
Someday in a world where men are free
Hate will be gone and love will prevail
Someday a new world that we can start
With hope in every heart"
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Absolutely love your playlists! Such a great

topic and a great tribute to MLK. There are

so many songs on there I love but I must

say the song that honors his beliefs the best is the greatest “Dream”  song of all time, which is

“If I can dream” by Elvis. All these years later,

this song gives me chills and makes me cry

EVERY time I hear it 🎼💜

Honored Social Butterfly

Same here! Elvis greatly admired Dr King, so it meant a lot to Elvis, as well. Story goes that when he recorded it, there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP