Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Your Favorite Smooth Jazz Artist(s) Past and Present

Trusted Contributor

Your Favorite Smooth Jazz Artist(s) Past and Present

Brian Culbertson, Marion Meadows and Jeffery Smith to name a few are some of my favorite smooth jazz artists.

Regular Contributor

I really love the sounds of Miles Davi, Kenny G., John Coltrane, Craid Chaquico, Art Blakey etc.This is the best style of music in my own opinion.

Social Butterfly

I like the 50s and 60s jazz of Coltrane, Miles, Fathead Newman, Jamal, Jazz Crusaders, Gerald Wilson, Ella, Horace Silver, Ray Charles band and many others.

Contributor

Hank Crawford

Periodic Contributor

That is going to be a tough question to answer. There are artist all around the world that you could name. Like Igor Gerzina from Croatia and Candy Dulfer from the Netherlands. Then you have some of the greats from the past Dave Brubaker, also could say Al Jarreau. David Sanborn and Dave Koz are some of my other favorites. I could go on forever. 

Chuck W.
Trusted Contributor

You have named some of my favorite jazz artists. And thank you for mentioning that many of these talented artists and musicians are from other countries.

Trusted Contributor

Wow! Chas3141, Gerzina and Dulfer are some of my favorite jazz musicians. I didn't know they were from outside the states. Thank you for that bit of information. You're absolutely right the world has great jazz artists and musicians from all over the world.

Contributor

I recently discovered Erik Leuthauser, a 22 year old singer/composer from Berlin. Erik is the 2018 winner of the annual Ella Fitzgerald Jazz Vocal Competition held in Washington, DC. His latest record, "Munschen" ("Wish"), was released this month.

He performs fine renditions of old standards as well as newer and original music.

Search to find his homepage, where you will find a wealth of video performances and interviews. Definitely worth a look!

Trusted Contributor

gallenmaines thank you for the information. Will check it out.

Regular Contributor

Artie Shaw - really smooth

Regular Contributor

Add to the list Denver's own Paul Taylor and also Euge Groove, Diana Krall, Sanborn, Koz, Botti, Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dulfer, Sade, Benson, John Klemmer. Michael Franks, Kenny G, Jarreau, Peter White, Spyro Gyra,M Mangione, Grover Washington Jr., Bob James, too many talented artists to mention...

Contributor

Brian Culbertson is so cool!  I actually saw Brian in concert this month on his new Color of Love Tour.  Excellent concert!  I highly recommend seeing it.   I also like Candy Dulfer and Mindi Abair for horns.  Any smooth jazz artist is my go to music.

Brian Culbertson - Color of Love Tour 2018Brian Culbertson - Color of Love Tour 2018

Regular Social Butterfly

I love Bรฉla Fleck and the Flecktones. They are a jazz fusion, progressive bluegrass, jam band, with Bรฉla Fleck on banjo, Victor Wooten on bass,  Roy Wooten (Future Man) on percussion/ Drumitar, & Howard Levy on harmonica & keyboards. Saw them live at the Smith Center in Las Vegas a few years ago. Amazing!

Periodic Contributor

Brian Culbertson for sure and then Keiko Matsui, Rick Braun, Peter White, Boney James, Mindy Abair just to name a few.  We are lucky to have a small jazz club in Oakland CA which brings so many smooth jazz artist to bay area!  We are able to see many of these artists!

Social Butterfly

Iโ€™m not an enormous Jazz aficionado but I do appreciate the many talented jazz artists.  I preferred โ€œBluesโ€ which is the roots of that genre.  

In the 60โ€™s I listened to โ€œtraditional jazzโ€ musicians like Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck. But the grayer I became I learned to enjoy the music of โ€œsmooth Jazzโ€ much more.  Iโ€™ve checked out the 3 artist youโ€™ve mentioned and enjoyed listening to their work.

Thanks for your topic it reminds a blues/rock devotee like me to take time to listen and enjoy other musical genres.

Contributor

My favorite jazz artists are: Pat Metheny, Dave Brubeck, Lyle Mays, Antonio Sanchez, Joshua Redman.

Trusted Contributor

You're very welcome ReTiReD51. I've always believed that enjoying a wide variety of music (all genres), especially jazz, is the spice of life. 

Honored Social Butterfly

https://youtu.be/7jiEcqrhtiY

Straight to the Heart.  David Sanborn

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

Misty                     Erroll Garner

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP