Community Manager
Community Manager

Your Favorite Musical Artists of the 80s

Who were some of your favorite musical artists of the 80s? Michael Jackson? Madonna? Whitney Houston? Prince? Share a memory of listening to your favorite.

Kudos
Views
Replies

Prince Madonna Frankie Goes to Hollywood Boy George.

I used to dress like Madonna in my club hopping days of the 80s

0 Kudos

OH SO MANY!! The 80’s: My Forever Fave Decade for Bands/Tunes..& Definitely Greatly Missed Videos.. Pft, Well, Just being able to turn on the RADIO and hear REAL MUSIC.

Firstly, There’s ROD (who transcends decades). There’s: Tom Petty, David Bowie, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, U2, INXS, Cheap Trick, Blondie, Simple Minds, Big Country, Billy Idol, (True) Van Halen, Roxy Music, Cyndi Lauper.. Soo Many!!

Gold Conversationalist

How bout doing this for the 50's?

0 Kudos
Contributor

MTV  music videos were the best!

The REAL MTV.. when actual MUSIC/Music Videos were played! 

EC3782BA-6BA5-4AA1-B6DD-4F89DACF1776.jpeg

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

John Cougar/John Cougar Mellencamp/John Mellencamp

Cyndi Lauper

Contributor

Oh WOW, I have so MANY!  EWF, Gap Band, Parliament Funkadelic, Lakeside, Dazz Band, Zap, One Way, SOS Band, Midnight Star, Atlantic Star, Con Funk Shon...

The Whispers too.  I know this group was from the 70's but they did songs in the 80's and that was Earth, Wind and Fire.

Awesome groups and the best dancing music.

Regular Contributor

Chicago, INXS, and Duran Duran were my top three bands of the 80's. Listening to anything by Chicago, songs like "Notorious" by Duran Duran, and songs like "What You Need" by INXS, along with many more of their hits, were the sounds of the 80's for me. I still love hearing them!

Bronze Conversationalist

While I had to listen to some of the ‘80s music where I worked from November 1980 forward, I bought myself a personal cassette player and listened to Beach Boys and several others to help drown out the piped in stuff on our company’s PA system.

One night would be tuned to the then current rock and the next would be a country station, which I did enjoy, sometimes, and usually more than the rock station.

I always loved Dolly Parton, sometimes Kenny Rogers, and others on the country and cross-over charts, along with John Denver. I even managed to get used to and even enjoy some of the ‘80s rock with Blondie, Kim Carnes, Eddie Rabbitt, Madonna, and even a tune or two by Boy George and Elton John, and so on, from the year-plus that I worked in that department.

Stay well and enjoy!
-Lynn

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Lynne  I love the music of the 50s 60s and 70s but the 80s had alot of groups I listen to. Among my favorites were SHA-NA-NA  The BeeGees and ABBA.  My girlfriend at the time tried to teach me how to dance what a disaster that was. I lost my balance tripped a cocktail waitress I was immediately was tossed from the club told never to come back. I was accused of being drunk  but I don't drink never have.  Then I lost my girlfriend to the disco duck at the club. Come to think of it I really hate the 80s

that's cute, so funny Gary T...

Social Butterfly

Have to dispute @tinyrey Queen was astronomical mid- to late-70s, not 80s... (but agree, Freddy was the BEST ever!).

80s I have to go with Mötley Crüe and Nirvana (with a little Jimmy Buffett on the side) 😉

Being flower child I have to write not impressed with the disco gogo pop trends of the 80s, but there were some high points...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Periodic Contributor

Springsteen, Dire Straits and Queen. Freddie Mercury was the best frontman ever, hands down!!

Periodic Contributor

Hey Lynne, I rocked to Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and The Boss!

Honored Social Butterfly

Tom Petty. When “Full Moon Fever” came out,

I think I listened night and day. Another rocker

gone too soon 😢

From the early to late 80s I enjoyed AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and others.  I'm still a metalhead.

Contributor

Simple Minds, Thompson Twins, Peter Gabriel, INXS, Depeche Mode, Thomas Dolby, Dire Straits, and Echo and the Bunnymen. I'm still a die hard Peter Gabriel and Mark Knopfler fan.

Kudos
Views

I'd have to go with U2, The Police and Michael Jackson (not the Jackson Five of the previous decade!)

Regular Contributor

my favorites are John Denver, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Loretta Lynn, & a host of others of country but my all time favorite is Mr. Denver.

My favorite was and still is Bon Jovi. 

Contributor

Queen! 

Honored Social Butterfly

kate.jpg

Kate Bush

with a 4-octave range, influences that range from Irish folk music to David Bowie and Roxy Music, one of the pioneers of the Fairlight, a CBE for her contributions to British music, songs that explore the lives of characters ranging from a bored housewife to a Vietnamese soldier to Hitler's dance partner, Kate is like no one else.  Numerous musicians, from Tori Amos to Big Boi, cite her as an inspiration and an influence.  She began writing songs when she was 13; her first hit record came at age 19.  Kate was the first woman to have a self-written hit song on the UK charts, the first to have a number 1 album; she is the only woman to have 8 albums on the charts at the same time.

I was introduced to Kate through a "Night Flight" showing of a film made during her only tour:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64YAWm1ZkKc.  40 years later, I, along with millions of other patient fans, await a new album, a new concert, a new film--anything.  Whatever Kate wants to do, whatever sounds or images she wants to explore, it's all ok with us.

Honored Social Butterfly

The 80’s were a continuation of my love affair

with Fleetwood Mac. I waited with

anticipation for the release of their
Greatest Hits in 1988, 
which I then

played to death. I have seen them 

in concert 3 times but not until the

2000’s. Their music still saves me
many a day 🎼💜

Honored Social Butterfly

What would the eighties have been like without Prince.

Honored Social Butterfly

Bruce Springsteen

I saw Bruce a few times with the most memorable time being at 

Hershey, PA. Thanks to the lottery system for entry, I was able to secure a spot right in front of the stage. During the playing of Born to Run, I was able to strum his guitar.

Honored Social Butterfly

I have a ton of favs from the 80’s but the one

who stands out the most is Madonna. I saw her

twice in concert in the 80’s and she did not

dissappoint either time. I sang and played her

music constantly and even tried to dress like

her lol

Silver Conversationalist

BeatleloverKT sez - "I sang and played her music constantly and even tried to dress like her"

I sez - "Pictures, we want to see pictures of KT Madonna Fan!"

1200px-Winking-smiley.svg

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry to disappoint but sadly there’s no 

pictures to show lol

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: Juggling Caregiving Amidst Coronavirus this Holiday Season

Join AARP's Family and Caregiving Expert Amy Goyer to uncover the best ways to navigate the holiday season with your loved ones. Ask and Learn Now.

AARP Members Only Games

Was Breakout your favorite Atari game? Ready to knock out some bricks? AARP Members, now's your chance.

Don't let the ball hit the ground!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Breakout
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg