Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What songs take you back in time?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What songs take you back in time?

Music can induce nostalgia quickly and easily!  What songs do this to you and how?  

There is an Irish song If You're Irish Come Into the Parlour, it immediately takes me back to my childhood where my parents would start dancing!

AARPTeri
Honored Social Butterfly

"Last Train to Clarksville."  I was 8 when The Monkees tv series debuted and this song was all over the radio.  My parents, taking the phrase "sex, drugs and rock'n'roll" a little too seriously, didn't allow me to listen to rock/pop, not even "I Want to Hold Your Hand" or "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" (instead, I was encouraged to listen to "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Honky Tonkin" and "Wild Side of Life" and the like--so much more moral an influence than "She Loves You", eh?)

But when The Monkees debuted and every pre-adolescent on the block raced to the record store to buy "Clarksville," I persisted.  A glance at the tv series convinced my parents that the Monkees were too sweet and innocent to do me any harm, so I was allowed to watch the show and buy the records and lunchboxes and puzzles and comic books and even Monkees bubblegum packs.

It was just a short jump from there to the Beatles, and thereafter I was a lost cause.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have memory of jamming to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" on my transistor radio 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

that nostalgic feeling is neuronic command, music we heard as teens binds more tightly than anything we'll hear as adults.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

"Some Velvet Morning" {Phaedra is my name} * N Sinatra & L Hazlewood

Still looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32tH1ujaCx4&ab_channel=HistoricusJoe

Conversationalist

Every Beat Of My Heart - Gladys Knight and the Pips 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Nancy With The Laughing Face - Frank Sinatra

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I Am Your Man - Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Fall of 1972, Chicago’s “Color My World” I love the lyrics, my husband loves the brevity of the song as it was our first dance at our wedding!

Social Butterfly

Hang On Sloopy - the McCoys

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

All I Know by Art Garfunkel. Great lyrics, beautiful song. Reminder of a more innocent time in high school in the early 70's, when being in love for the first time was more important than homework! Nothing is better than having grown up with the 60's and 70's music. Great songs, great bands. We could use more of that now! 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

That is a really beautiful song - I first learned it on One Life to Live soap opera!  Good choice.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This is a very beautiful song and the funny thing is, I first heard it on One Life to Live!  Good choice

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Saturday Night At The Movies - the Drifters

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

"You've Made Me So Very Happy"

By Blood Sweat & Tears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWWLd7eKjpM

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Dancing Queen by ABBA. Actually everything by ABBA. The best pop group that ever was or ever will be. Their music is honest and has a distinct sound, complicated simplicity even in this day and age lives on.

Gary

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Looking For An Echo - Kenny Vance & the Planotones

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Anything by the Spinners. An amazingly

soulful, talented and underrated group.
My all time fav 
of theirs has to be “One

of a kind (love affair)”,released in 1973

when I was in high school and fell in

love “every other day” according to

my Mother! It has lines that can drive

you to tears so give a listen if you

haven’t heard it before 💜🎼

Social Butterfly

Up On The Roof - the Drifters

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a lot of favorite songs from my teen years. One of my favorites, still fun to hear is Dan Fogelberg 'Part of the Plan'. Actually I love all of his music.

RIP

Social Butterfly

As a kid I always had my nose in a book and didn't care about music until I turned 13 and heard, I've Just Seen a Face and I'll Cry Instead.

They changed everything.

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Bronze Conversationalist

Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg. I love Christmas and New Years Eve and this always reminds me of my youth, my family, and my high school days in the 70's. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Standing On The Corner - the Four Lads

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love all kinds of music. Any music brings back memories for me. One of my favorites is Old Time Rock and Roll. When I hear this song I always get up and dance. It makes me very happy! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Leaving on a Jet Plane by John Denver because it came out just before I flew for the first time.  I also really like Scarborough Fair, Simon and Garfunkel.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Under The Boardwalk - the Drifters

0 Kudos
Contributor

The song that came to mind was Stevie Wonders, 'Ribbon in the Sky." A wonderful song and wording. Spiritual and beautiful 

0 Kudos
Contributor

There are many but one that stands out is "since I met you baby" by Ivory Joe Hunter. My honey and I danced many a dance to that tune.

0 Kudos

Any song from Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens.  My boyfriend and I about wore that album out in the summer of 1975.  We would put it on the stereo and listen to it for hours.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Reflections of My Life by Marmalade. Beautiful song that really does make you reflect on your life, your loves, and your own mortality. Time really does fly.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP