Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What songs take you back in time?

Music can induce nostalgia quickly and easily!  What songs do this to you and how?  

There is an Irish song If You're Irish Come Into the Parlour, it immediately takes me back to my childhood where my parents would start dancing!

AARPTeri

I love that song also!  The lyrics are truly amazing!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been so lucky to have seen so many of the greats in person, and of course watching the early rock bands on shows like Ed Sullivan, The Smothers Brothers, Hullabaloo, and Shindig, to name a few. But the from the first time I heard Jack Bruce play the infamous bass line on Cream's, "SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE", there was no going back. Instantly hooked, and knew I had to start playing. \Cream is still one of my favourite bands.

0 Kudos

When we get married.  Don't remember who sang it  It was the 1st song I requested to be played for my than girlfriend!  Now my  wife of 47 year

0 Kudos
Contributor

25 or 6 to 4.  by Chicago. It takes me back to the first time I saw them in person. It was in Pittsburgh........ the Civic Arena, probably in 1976 or 1977. It was magical.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I like 25 or 6 to 4 as well- saw them first time in concert (they were my 1st concert!) about a year after you did and was mesmerized.  I got to see them live (of course not all the same people!) last summer  at an outdoor venue and it was so fun and so "summer".  Cheers.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Temptation Eyes and Midnight Confessions by the Grass Roots. Great songs to drive to as a teenager with the windows down in the summer in my 78 Camaro. Bring back the 70's music! 

"Dancing Queen" by ABBA.  So popular during my pre-teen years when everything was about music, radio, 8-tracks, and disco!

Contributor

I agree, and anything by ABBA

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin takes me back! The first lyrics are "It's been along time since I rocked and rolled!" And I always think,  yeah it has been! Then I start rockin out! Plus the music is fast rockin tempo that gets my adrenaline going! As for your Irish song, I really enjoy it. I married an Irish woman. I love listening to Van Morrison, U2, and Thin Lizzy. One of my favs is "Whiskey in a Jar."

Contributor

For me one of the most timeless of all music is "What's Going On" by the marvel of falsetto and lyrics Marvin Gaye. It has stood the test of time and is as significant in today intolerant times as it was during the seventies. It's my #1 song on my playlist in my life and I play it loud. #OLCCH

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

"Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen takes me back in time to when my children were born and I used to sing it to them (poorly) in place of a lullaby. By the time my son was 4 he was dressing up like Bruce from the cover of Born in the USA, and singing with his play guitar.

0 Kudos

Still Raining, Still Dreaming

Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland

takes me back to my trippin hippie days.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

"Thunder Road" by Bruce Springsteen takes me back in time to when my children were born and I used to sing it to them (poorly) in place of a lullaby. By the time my son was 4 he was dressing up like Bruce from the cover of Born in the USA, and singing with his play guitar.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

0 Kudos

Amy by Pure Prairie League

to my first love

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Oh I loved that song too and I think they spelled it the french way Aimee - still a great song!  A friend of mine used it as his phone machine answering music.  Great choice.

0 Kudos

Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel. I went to a concert of theirs in college. I could swear they looked me right in the eye as they sang. They always spoke to my soul, especially with this song. I still love their music. Runner up is Leaving on a Jet Plane by Peter, Paul and Mary because my boyfriend (now my husband) moved across country for a job after college graduation and when I visited I always hated to leave.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Anything by the Beach Boys - as a Jersey shore fan for many years, when I hear the Beach Boys I can picture a top-down convertible on the parkway, arriving at the shore, the sand beneath my toes, smelling the salt water (almost tasting it), hearing the surf, and dipping my toes into it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Jersey Girl, Bruce Springsteen, 1985.

Before I became an โ€œofficialโ€ Jersey Girl

in 1992, I spent a good portion of every

summer down the Jersey shore. This song,

my fav of Bruceโ€™s, defines what summer is

all about and makes me reminisce about

all those good times at the Jersey Shore.

FYI, I still spend a good portion of my

summers at the Jersey shore as I now

have a house to go to!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Spoiler
Unchained Melody reminds me of my teenage years. I loved that song!
Silver Conversationalist

Every song takes me back to a special time. Whether it be a song like 'And they called the wind Mariah' which will always remind me of my father standing at the sink in our one bathroom home while the 5 of us children waited our turn to scoot past him to 'go'; or any of a million songs that I harmonized to in the privacy of my own room dreaming of the day that I too could one day be a star; right up to and thru my time raising my children and would come thru the door each night with a song on my mind that helped me get thru a hectic day. 

Songs are seasonal, Hot Fun in the Summertime, Summer in the City, or In the Summertime will always bring back the taste of coolaid and the smell of suntan lotion and chlorine or the sensation of beach sand.

Its impossible to nail it down to one song, one genre, one singer, they are as much a part of each stage of my life as skin. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

My big sister introduced me to Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water when I was a pre-teen, and that was my start to a wonderful musical progression over the years. 

Alabama's Old Flame.  I had an all-time love for an old boyfriend, and every time I hear that song, I think about how much I thought about him and the time we spent together.  I really was nuts about him!

GOOD TIME CHARLIE'S GOT THE BLUES by Danny O'Keefe. Takes me back to my first radio listening days on the school bus.

Contributor

The Lion Sleeps Tonight by the Tokens. It was the first 45 that I bought and when I sat next to my record player to listen to my records, it was invariably the first one I played.

Periodic Contributor

Jessieโ€™s Girl by Rick Springfield  summer, great pop song to walk, dance or exercise to. The song is about lust and angst but itโ€™s a great happy summer song, and... handsome Rick!

'Groovin' by the Rascals.  Brings me back to my teens, friends and strolling around the park.  Just love it.

Contributor

Oh so many!!!  But I guess the one that means the most to me was "Sweet Home Alabama" by Skynard in 1974.  Also from 1968--Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride".  And of course Bob Segar's "Against the Wind" from 70's.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

If You Leave Me Now by Chicago. Always reminds me of my first love. Unfortunately at the time she did leave. But I still love the song!

Periodic Contributor

Shortly after graduating from college, my best friend (I thought) took my steady girlfriend and our dog and moved out of state with them ... when I turned on the radio at my apartment after getting the bad/sad news (as I was weeping), Positively 4th Street came on the radio station I was listening to and I sensed it was to become my Anthem for life.  In fact in did  ... I later had two similar occurrences in my life from other women I thought that loved me too ... one cashed me in for a co-worker and the other for a neighbor.  I'm now retired and living a blissfully happy life in Florida and have Positively 4th Street as one of my saved favorites on Pandora ... every time it plays; I get a reflective trip back to "what might have been" and thankful all three exploded before a final commitment was made. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP