Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What songs take you back in time?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What songs take you back in time?

Music can induce nostalgia quickly and easily!  What songs do this to you and how?  

There is an Irish song If You're Irish Come Into the Parlour, it immediately takes me back to my childhood where my parents would start dancing!

AARPTeri
Contributor

Any song from the 70s or 80s.  The 70s were my high school years & the 80s were when I was going to nursing school, met & married my husband & had my son.  Babe by Styx is especially memorable because I used to sing it to my son all the time when he was an infant.

Contributor

Blue Velvet, Itsy Bitsy Polka Dot Bikini, Purple People Eater etc. Its been a long time since I've heard any of these.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I grew up in the 50's and so a lot of music takes me back.  I was never an Elvis fan but I did love the Everly Brothers,  My favorite some was of theirs was "Dream."  I wasn't even in my teens yet!  The one song that makes me sad is "Mr, Lonely" by Bobby Vinton.  The reason being  a close friend of mine had died in Vietnam, and it was on a tape recording that he had sent me before I got the news.

Periodic Contributor

For me it is All I Ask Of You from Phantom of the Opera. It stirs up the romance of the younger years that now eludes my worn out tired body. April Love by Pat Boone and Loving You by Elvis Presley also take me back along with Beach Boys music.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

ALL THOSE SUNG BY THE KINGSTON TRIO AT THE HUNGRY IN SAN FRANCISCO IN THE LATE 1950'S.

Regular Contributor

Anything ABBA or Supertramp take me back to long summers of babysitting and swimming. Also anything by Billy Squire. As I got older, older than 16, I started really getting into Adam and The Ants, The Go-Go's, Blondie, etc. I was definitely a 70's & 80's gal. I still listen to all these as much as I can along with new artists such as Pink, Adele, etc. I loved the era I grew up in. Times were definitely easier and kids could be kids. 

Super Contributor

I'm still wondering which girl Bob married ....Roseann, or Donna ? Fun reading.

Back to the 60's music:  My son was four yrs. old, and he loved Englebert's , '"Lonely is a Man Without Love".   He would put his ear right up to the phonograph !  Funny, because when he grew up his taste changed drastically.  It turned to Led Zeplin and others I cannot remember.  

I have to say that the music after the 70's changed for the worse. Disco was a lot of fun ( Sorry 'bout that for you younger folks.)  In our day we danced cheek to cheek and did the jitterbug along with disco dancing.. Nostalgia and Romance was in the air. It was a great time to be alive.not worrying about what was going on around the world.

Honored Social Butterfly

Come and get your love, Redbone, 1974. 
I have said before that the 70โ€™s were the

best time of my life. This song which hit

the airwaves in January 1974 is still a

huge favorite of mine. Redbone, to me,

is a very underrated band from the โ€˜70โ€™s

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

This is going to seem not on topic, but for me:

"Time After Time" - Ms Cyndi Lauper 

Our lives collided during similar medical issues at same time; she wouldn't know then but she healed me as she healed herself...

Since then, I've always gone back to those 80s events and thanked her silently for her words...

@cyndilauper

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Super Contributor

Chances Are  by Johnny Mathis.   First song I heard from his wonderful voice way back in the late 50's.

Then there is, Al Martino's , I Have But One Heart. and Look Around And You'll find me there.  

Both of these songs hold a special place in my heart.  Al's concert was my first date with my husband.

Today is the fourth anniversary since his passing.  : ( ๐Ÿ˜˜

Social Butterfly

See Me, Feel Me/Listening to you by The Who in my 1st car heading to Robert Moses Beach. I had put in some speakers and had wires spliced together all over the car and I cranked up that 8 track, oh it was magical. Whenever ever I hear that song thatโ€™s where I am. 

Kudos
Views
Contributor

In 1976 I was stationed at Naval Training Center, Great Lakes, IL, going through Hospital Corpsmen training. In the barracks, one of my roommates would play a cassette by Fleetwood Mac EVERY MORNING for a wake-up.  Loud as that little cassette player could go. My particular favorite song was REANNON (spelling may be wrong here). So, every time I ever hear this song it does bring me back to a time when I was a young future Navy Corpsman. By the way, after training, I was sent to Field Medical Service School at Camp Pendleton, Ca for training with the Marines. URR RAH FMF DOCS!

John R.
Honored Social Butterfly

Frampton Comes Alive, released in 1976.
I was in 
Nursing School and this is an

album I played to death loud as can be.
Everytime I hear a song 
from this album,

itโ€™s a trip down memory lane!

Somethingโ€™s happening
Doobie Wah

Show me the way

Itโ€™s a plain shame

All I want to be (Is by your side)

Wind of change

Baby, I love your way

I wanna go to the sun

Penny for your thoughts

(Iโ€™ll give you) Money

Shine on

Do you feel like we do

Social Butterfly

So true @MaVolta , Rolling Stone's list basically was a Who's Who of Rock n Roll. And who better to have the #1 spot but Bob Dylan (although I personally voted for Led Zepplin's Stairway To Heaven). The music is the soundtrack of the People. Not one musician today can't say that they were not inspired by the sounds & songs of the 60's and 70's.

Honored Social Butterfly

The album was simply called โ€œFleetwood

Macโ€ or as we fans know it as their White

Album. On July 11th it will be 45 years
since
it was released in 1975. I had

never heard any of their older stuff

but this album changed all that. The

first single released was โ€œOver my

headโ€ Once I heard it, I fell in love
with another band. Bought that album

that day. Played it to death in my room,

twirling and dancing like Stevie Nicks!

Love every song on it!

๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŽผ

Honored Social Butterfly

Simon & Garfunkel have long been a favorite of mine. I have always loved to listen and sing along with their music. When I graduated HS, a neighbor gave me their latest album, and it was a most highly cherished gift! One of my favorite songs of all time is on that album. From 1970  . . . 

Bridge Over Troubled Water  -  S&G 

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Social Butterfly

I was born in '68 and to me any music from the Sixties is awesome. Some of my favorite bands defined that decade.

@MaVolta that is one of my favorite songs along with; All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

Honored Social Butterfly

@OscarE1968  -  I agree, the music of the 60's was awesome, followed by the 70's. No surprise to me that when Rolling Stone published their list of the 500 best songs ever (in 2004) that 40% of the songs were from the 60's, and almost 30% were from the 70's. They updated the list in 2010 to add a few new songs, but it didn't change the big picture. Also no surprise, The Beatles had the most songs by a single artist with 23, and their choice for the #1 spot was none other than Bob Dylan, Like A Rolling Stone! Ha! 

โ€œWhen the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.โ€ - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Radar Love, Golden Earring. This song

was released in 1973 but it was all over

the airwaves Summer of 1974, the year

I graduated from High School. Every time

it starts I still get chills! Such great lyrics,

guitar and drums. Good times indeed
๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŽผ

Social Butterfly

For me " Space Trucking/ Maybe I'm A Leo " by Deep Purple always takes me back to my childhood. After the first chord of Space Trucking I knew right then Rock n Roll was my music. I think I was 5 or 6 at the time lol

Contributor

For me, songs from the 50s bring back floods of memories.

Honored Social Butterfly

Well it's now 1971, my senior year of college. I've been dating two girls (not an easy thing to pull off on a small campus). I'm in my apartment with one of the girls (Roseann) when the other girl (Donna) starts pounding on my door. Of course, I always had music on and at that particular moment, Chicago's Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is was playing.

I decided then that it was time for me to make a decision, which I did.

After 47 years of marriage, I'm at times not 100% sure I made the right decision. That's life!!

Honored Social Butterfly

This song blaring from my brother's 8-track, from 1968 . . . 

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida  -  Iron Butterfly

Retired Community Manager

Gosh it really depends on the decade. Whenever I hear Thunder Road, I stop everything I'm doing to listen and think about my dear childhood friends.

Honored Social Butterfly

I so agree @AARPLynne! Another song

that takes me back is โ€œAll my lovingโ€ by

the Beatles. It was  February 9, 1964

and my Mom, brother and I were in front

of the TV to watch the Fab 4๏ธโƒฃโ€™s  first

appearance on the Ed Sullivan show.

I had already heard and loved โ€œI want

to hold your handโ€, which had been

leaked to the airwaves. But seeing them

on TV playing that song, I fell in love

with them and still am to this day.

Their music truly changed my life ๐ŸŽผ๐Ÿ’œ

all the Beatles songs.They are the best๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

Honored Social Butterfly

I was also glued to the tv set to see The Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show that Sunday evening in 1964. There had been news coverage of them landing at the airport when they arrived in NYC. It looked like mayhem. I was always buying the fan magazines that had anything with The Beatles on it!

Social Butterfly

What makes me stop in my tracks is any doo-wop song from from the 50's and early 60's. Memories of watching the "Submarine Races", and going to the local drive in burger shop in my souped up Ford.
Honored Social Butterfly

Stairway to heaven, Led Zeppelin, 1971. 
I have always been a lover of Led, but 

this song when it was released, to me

was groundbreaking. It was long, but not

too long, had differing tempos and unique

lyrics. It places number one on so many 

record countdowns. Still to this day in my

top five of fav rock songs ๐ŸŽผ

Honored Social Butterfly

This song takes me back a bit further. I lived in a small town with a locally owned radio station, so the music was mostly country and adult centric pop, but they did play some songs for the kids, too. This son was very popular, even with the adults, so it played almost every morning while we were having breakfast or getting ready for school. I have it on an oldies playlist and still love to hear it. 

From 1961 . . .

The Lion Sleeps Tonight  -  The Tokens

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP