Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

Message 301 of 308

Hey everyone! Keep the music coming. This is a running list so please post as many times as you like. I have a looooong way to go! Maybe others will join us. I love reading your posts and comments!

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 302 of 308

@WebWiseWoman  - Great choices! In A Gadda Da Vida was one of my brother's favorites. I remember it blasting from the 8-track deck in his car. Hadn't thought about that song in a while. I was mostly into folk & folk-rock, but he got me listening to hard rock, including these from my playlist -

By Steppenwolf:

Born To Be Wild (1968)

Magic Carpet Ride (1968)

It's Never Too Late (1969)

Jupiter's Child (1969)

Rock Me (1969)

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 303 of 308

The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore: The Walker Brothers

Silence Is Golden: The Tremeloes 

(and about 200 others)

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Message 304 of 308

Excellent topic, @MaVolta !!!!! tysvm for thinking of this!

So, # 1 for me is Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vita" (1968)! Lots of people didn't like it due to length, but for me it's still a great "stuck in traffic" song, as I can rock out and everyone enjoys the old lady in the car next to them smiling while rocking out, instead of angry at traffic 😉

Note: I used to listen to Metallica on the drive then realized when I walked into the office and announced I knew why Lars was so angry and everyone gave me a hug while laughing that I needed to change that out...

# 2 on the 60's play list is Janis and her "Kosmic Blues"; so powerful and poignant.

# 3 is definitely John Lennon "Come Together" especially this version which he has so much fun with his original composition, not the earlier released version.

I shouldn't go on as it will make the post too long, but, again, thanks for this great topic! Can't wait to read others so I can add to my play list!

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 305 of 308

I was a kid.  My dad listened to country, so I had to.  😄 

I still listen to:

Wolverton Mountain - Claude King

Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean

El Paso - Marty Robbins

Dang Me - Roger Miller

Harper Valley PTA - Jeannie Riley

Mamma Tried - Merle Haggard

Flowers on the Wall - Statler Brothers

Anything Johnny Cash, especially A Boy Named Sue

John Birch Society - Chad Mitchell Trio

Any and all of Tom Lehrer -- I wish he were writing songs today.  

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 306 of 308

Excellent topic choice @MaVolta!  I have many favorites from the 60's but I will start off with Five O'Clock world by the Vogues. (1965) Great song. Also anything by the Dave Clark Five- Glad all over (1964) is my fav by them. Also anything by the Animals, especially It's my life. (1965) We should have fun with this! 😎

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 307 of 308

To lead off, I will first qualify that The Beatles have a playlist all to themselves. (Bet many of you do too!)

One of my favorite songs of the early 60's that I still love toplay:

The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens (1961)

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

What songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist?

Message 308 of 308

The 1960's boasts a vast array of music styles and genres throughout the decade. Many genres crossed and blurred lines, and new sub-genres or were created.

Throughout the 60's, we had a variety of pop, rock, Motown / R&B and soul. There were all of those tragedy songs, muscle car songs, and surf songs playing on the radio. Then came The Beatles and the British invasion. Folk music evolved into folk-rock, and Bob Dylan became one of the most influential songwriters of the decade and beyond. Folk music became a popular genre for the counterculture and protest songs (anti-war, civil rights). Folk-rock segued into psychedelic rock and songs of the drug culture. Elvis made a comeback in '68. Later in the decade, progressive rock began to merge various genres and styles, including classical music. And by the end of the decade, blues rock was moving to hard rock and heavy rock territory.

So much happened? What did I miss?

Here's an article that I found for a memory refresher.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/60smusic.html

So, what songs from the 1960's are still on your playlist today?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users