Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

What song reminds you of Mom?

Let's pay tribute to all the moms out there this Mother's Day! What song reminds you of Mom?

Contributor

Sloppy.....

0 Kudos
Contributor

• How Great Thou Art
Contributor

Rock of Ages, she would play it on the piano.

Contributor

Rock of Ages

0 Kudos

The Twist by Chubby Checker. In her youth she was the typical teeny bopper dancing away to music. My mom passed away on Aug 18, 2020. On the 18th of every month I light a candle near her photo, play The Twist and dance. I know she's dancing along as well. 

In The Mood by the Glenn Miller Band.  She always danced when I played that one for her.  I miss her very much!

Contributor

Wind beneath my wings, I danced with her at my wedding (instead of my father), because she was our everything.  She was truly the wings beneath my wings.  Supportive, inspiring, and moving me forward.  

Contributor

My dad's and mine favorite song was I love You Because by Al Martino because it was first released in May of 1963 right after my mom passed away. it makes me cry every time I hear it. Rose

Contributor

In the Garden. She sang this song often. It still makes me cry when I hear it.

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

Contributor

Vias con Dias

0 Kudos
Contributor

My mom loves the blues! One of her favorites is “Last Two Dollars” by Johnny Taylor🌹

The Wind Beneath My Wings was my Mama's favorite song for me to sing for her. She passed in Oct. 2017 but that song still makes me think of her with a  🙂

Contributor

My mom's favorite song was "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" by Marvin Gaye.  When she played that song, she would break out in her dance step and encourage us kids to join in the dancing; what great family fun it was!!!

Social Butterfly

"Why Do These Dang Kids Keep Misbehaving?"  by the Smokey Holler Posse was Moms favorite.

Contributor

You Are My Sunshine. She always sang that to me when I came home.

Regular Contributor

Unchained Melody will always remind me of both of my parents as it was 'their song' since they were dating in the 1950's when it first came out. My dad was in the Navy and mom was his girlfriend back at home. They wrote each other about the song when it came out and they figured their letters crossed somewhere over the ocean and it became 'their song.' If you look up Unchained Melody on Wikipedia, the picture of the musical score on the right is the exact picture on the cover of the sheet music that my mom bought as she used to play it on the piano. I now have that original sheet music that belonged to her. I miss them so much!

Periodic Contributor

Anything by Frank Sinatra, which we don't hear anymore.  My Mom died young - and I miss her. 

"Perfect Day."  On Sunday afternoons she would sit at the piano and play a variety of songs.  My favorite was "Perfect Day" and I do think it was her favorite because she played it with so much emotion.  My mother died in 1987 and I, myself a pianist, LOVE to play and sing "Perfect Day" because of the great memories the song brings of my mother at the piano.  

Contributor

Helen Ready's  You're So Vane.

Contributor

She told me she used to dance to the Pinetops Boogie when she was a little girl, back in the Big Band Era.  They had one of those giant tabletop radios that you could hardly lift. In her final years, I would always play that song for her when she was in my car. The BBC Big Band has made contemporary recordings of those songs, so you can get decent fidelity.

Contributor

"Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree."  

Periodic Contributor

The Bluebird Song (country western)

Contributor

Mom, by Earth Wind and Fire

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine", Marvin Gaye

Surprisingly, my Finnish mother liked Celito Lindo! She play the piano well and would love to play that song. She spoke English and Finnish and I’m sure did not know one word of Spanish! She was born in 1903 and sadly died in 1951.

Contributor

I’ll Be Seeing You - Bing Crosby

What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

Contributor

I love What a Wonderful World💖💖

Contributor

Mares Eat Oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy....

Contributor

You Raise Me Up!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP