Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What song reminds you of Dad?

Let's pay tribute to all the Dad's out there this Father's Day! What song reminds you of Dad?
Contributor

I remember my Dad sitting on the sofa after work 1967 with a beer in one hand and a cigar in the other listening to Sitting On the Dock of a Bay by Otis Redding.  God I miss you Dad died way to young at 38 February 4, 1968.

Conversationalist

Wow, even younger than mine.  Sorry for your loss, so many years ago - though mine was almost 20 years after yours (February 7, 1986), there are times it seems so long ago, and other times it seems only yesterday.  Still have great memories, but faded...  Dock of the Bay is such a great song - actually released after Otis Redding died in a plane crash.  Tragic.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I made a whole Spotify playlist of songs that remind me of my dad - check out my blog post, and the playlist link: https://listentothemusicblog.com/dance-with-my-father-big-bad-john-tribute-to-dad/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Such a nice tribute to your Dad, lost so 

young. I love your John playlist as my

Dad is also a John (he’s 91!) as is my 

brother, grandson and my late husband.

Lots of Johns in our family 

Conversationalist

I'm glad you liked the playlists.  I have fun creating them, and hope they may bring joy to others.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

A Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash

0 Kudos
Contributor

My Way by Frank Sinatra 

Contributor

Anything by Glenn Miller, Woody Herman or Nat King Cole…

Honored Social Butterfly

Father and daughter    Paul Simon

0 Kudos

Start me up by the Rolling Stones.  My Dad had an afternoon news paperwork route with me because I wasn't old enough to drive.  The delightful AM radio in the car would play a good song here & there.  He would perk up & sing along & do is sitting down dance when this song came on.  How I long for those days.  He left us in Dec 1991.  Miss you Dad.  

Contributor

Dance With My Father by Luther Vandross

Super Contributor

When I was getting to know my dad at a very young age, he would break into "Deep In the Heart of Texas while he was driving us to town."  He would clap his hands 3 times and laugh.  Soon, my mom and I would join in, singing and laughing and having a good time.  By the time we got to town, my palms would sting from clapping so hard.

Contributor

My dad passed away last year, the song that reminds me of him is Wasted Days and Wasted Nights by Freddy Fender because my dad would always sing it out loud.

Regular Contributor

My father passed away 51 years ago.  When I was a little girl he would sing "You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine".  I will always remember how special that made me feel.  Now I sing it to my grandkids.  Love you dad. 

Periodic Contributor

My dad was a rough, hard working man.  I'd always known he was Korean Vet, but he refused to talk about his years in the service. It wasn't until the movie "Sniper" came out, that he finally opened up and let us know that he had been a sniper, told us about the night terrors he was still having at 80+ years old, and started wearing his "One Shot One Kill," pin on his Army Veteran's hat.  He passed away Nov. 12th, 2020.  Daddy's Hands is the song that reminds me of my dad.  I miss him dearly!! 

Contributor

So many of you had pretty hep dads! My father was NOT one of the cool kids. He loved singing, though, especially to Frank Sinatra and classic Broadway musicals.  I can’t tell you how many times we begrudgingly endured “Oh, What A Beautiful Morning!” first thing after waking up. Luckily, dad had a lovely singing voice so it wasn’t all that bad. 

Info Seeker

My father loved Greensleeves and Malaguena and tried hard to get me to love classical music. But he died in 1964, when I was 14 and naturally I only listened to rock and roll. Now that I'm 70, how I wish he could know that I now do love his classical music (as well as my oldies rock and roll!)

Info Seeker

Anything by Nat King Cole...my dad loved his music. And Luther Vandross's Dance With My Father because I miss being able to dance with him. He was a terrific dancer.

Contributor

One More Day by Diamond Rio. To have my dad for just one more day would be a blessing. He was such an important part of my life. Also, a song by the Winston's-Color Him Father. It tells a story of a man who stepped into an already made family and helped guide them to be the best that they could be. 

Contributor

I can't think of a specific popular song that my dad liked, my mom was more into music, all kinds.. so whatever she listened to he just listened also, But  he loved loved choral and choirs, and organ music. He was forced to learn to play the piano as a child and did play well. We had several pianos that belonged to my Grandmother and sometimes he would sit and play. Lots of old time songs and hymns.  Then he got a nice Organ around 1972 and was fantastic on it. He was so happy with it. When my mom and he moved to Portland OR they sold the organ and I sure wish I had it now.  But song..  I think I associate The Battle Hymn of the Republic  with him. 

He loved that very much and especially sung in a choir.  I can remember him saying that it gave him gooseflesh and he would point to the hair on his arms ..  lol.  My dad was a Wonderful man and even more special is I was adopted.  I miss him so much.  He passed in 1988.  He was very accomplished well liked and looked up to in every community we lived in. He worked his way up from a lineman for PP&L  to District Line Superintendent.   My siblings and I have fond fond loving memories of him.  My husband says "He was a man unlike many others" 

My dad was always fair and loved to observe people. "People watch" He could and would talk to anyone that piqued his curiosity..  RIP Dad we love you.   

Contributor

"Does the Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight" Irish Rovers recording:)

Fun-loving,  like my Dad!

Trusted Contributor

My maternal grandfather used to do that and laugh! I didn"t know it was a song!!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Daddy Rolling Stone by The Who.

Old Man, Neil Young 

Trusted Contributor

NORMAN! My dad"s first name was Norman but he went by his shortened middle name Gene for Eugene. Few people knew "Norman," and when a co-worker learned that in the '60's, she teased him with the popular song. My mother had the record that went to someone else when she passed away. I really wish I had it now, as I start remembering my grandfather's and an uncle's associated songs, too. 

Regular Contributor

My late dad was a big Glenn Miller fan. His favorites were "In the Mood" and "Chattanooga Choo Choo."

Contributor

One song that does and will always remind me of Dad is Red River Valley.  My Dad passed away in Nov 1982 but he’s always in my heart.  Once in awhile he would become nostalgic and play his guitar and sing Red River Valley.  It would make me cry every time because he did it so beautifully. Obviously it’s not a popular song these days but on days I’m missing him especially, I can hear him playing and singing that song.

my dad passed in 1992 and I still miss him so much. Every time I hear anything from the 1940's I am reminded of my dad. We had alot of musicians and good singers in our family. I miss you dad and love you always, kathy

Contributor

I owe my soul to the company store. A steelworker for 33 years. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP