Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What song could I listen to, to know more about you? Or what song describes the secret you?

Silver Conversationalist

What song could I listen to, to know more about you? Or what song describes the secret you?

Maybe I’m the only one but there have been times when I’d hear a song, like maybe Pinball Wizard and think to myself, especially if I happened to be playing pinball at the time the song was playing, I’d think, “YES! This one truly describes me! YES!” Not that it actually did, it was fantasy, a fabrication in my mind but it did make listening to the song a bit more fun. I’d say that sometimes, the song, Nowhere Man, describes me pretty well. So it’s maybe a strange topic that I’ve chosen but I’m curious about who you other people might be. I know all about me and truly nothing about any of you, save for what music you enjoy. But even that I don’t know for sure, because you may just post a song in regard to a topic theme, instead of one that touches your life. Here’s one to start your thinking about a song you can dare to share! Who Are You by The Who

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Honored Social Butterfly

That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be (Carly Simon)

a poignant reflection on the way a lot of us women felt in the 1970s:

"You say we'll soar like two birds through the clouds
But soon you'll cage me on your shelf
I'll never learn to be just me first
By myself

Well, O.K
It's time we moved in together
And raised a family of our own
You and me
Well, that's the way I've always heard it should be
You want to marry me
We'll marry"

Honored Social Butterfly

Library Girl (Reina del Cid):

"But please don't be afraid
Just 'cause I navigate the media
And use encyclopedias
It doesn't mean that I don't need
A boy just like you to talk to"
Silver Conversationalist

You can talk to me. I've always been a fan of the library and librarians too. They practically raised me in my childhood, elementary school years. It kinda gets lonely, sometimes, reading all these titles, listening to these songs, yet making no connection other than a click to send kudos to youdos.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Boot Scootin' Boogie  -  Brooks & Dunn

First of all, I picked this song for the title since the lyrics are clearly about a guy. So that said, I post a lot of rock song titles, so something people might not guess is that I do like country music. In the 70's, Austin had great dance halls. Artists like Asleep at the Wheel, Rodney Crowell, Jerry Jeff Walker, Beto y los Fairlanes, all played the dance hall circuit. It was a lot of fun to put on the boots and go boot scootin' on Saturday night.

The city has changed a lot since then and most of the dance halls are gone. The few survivors are struggling to get through the covid crisis, as are the city's musicians who depend mostly on bars to stay afloat. Local charities are doing their best to help them out.

Country music in the 80's and 90's was especially good. We went to a number of really good concerts including George Strait (at least twice), Clint Black (New Year's Eve performance!), Reba McEntire, and Alabama. (You always knew when you were at a George Strait concert because the most of the guys were wearing the crisp white shirt, blue jeans, leather belt with large silver buckle, boots, and a  big white hat, like George.)

So I'm a little bit country 🤠 as well as rock 'n' roll 😎.  

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Silver Conversationalist

Do si do, here we go, c'mon baby, let's go boot scoot!

I like that song too and I also like songs that are sometimes told from a woman's point of view. I had a friend that I worked with, years ago and he told me one time when we were discussing music, he said, "I like both kinds of music, Country and Western!" I like both kinds too but I prefer to call those kinds, what I know already and what I've yet to hear. Country is great for getting a body up on the dance floor and being social. I like Inna Gadda Da Vida but to get to know you, I'm much happier that you're a boot scoot kind of gal! Thanks for sharing!

Honored Social Butterfly

It’s all too much    Fab 4️⃣

Silver Conversationalist

Career Of Evil - Blue Oyster Cult

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

19th Nervous Breakdown  -  The Stones

Please pass the Xanax. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Silver Conversationalist

Good pick and here ya go, be careful out there!

xanax

Conversationalist

There are several songs that when I hear them: First is "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel, second is 
"Forever in Blue Jeans" by Neil Diamond, third is "Freebird" by Lynard Skynard (the original band).

Every time I hear "Uptown Girl" I remember my dreams and goals I had when I was younger, strange I know. LIstening to "Forever in Blue Jeans" is my true self..I live in them (well not currently as I seem to believe sweats and T-shirts are comfortable since I am going nowhere). "Freebird" is my song as I love being free and yet don't want to be forgotten...silly and selfish I know.

Shari
Silver Conversationalist

Thanks for sharing, Shari and you have the perfect name for sharing too!

You should listen to Uptown Girl every day then, if that's the only time you remember your dreams. Dreams are made for coming true, not to be forgotten. And Freebird, a great Karaoke tune! You're not alone in feeling those lyrics. I don't recognize the Forever In Blue Jeans but it does sound better than Forever In Sweat Pants and T Shirts. It just rolls off the tongue so much easier, I'd say. I'm gonna go look it up now but thanks for sharing!

And if you feel like you're "going nowhere", just remember that Life Is a Highway. You can always turn at the next intersection and go somewhere. These are our Golden Years. 😊

FIBJ, nice song and I think you'll find several other Neil Diamond fans here too! Have fun!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I Got The Music In Me:  Kiki Dee

Silver Conversationalist

Love it! I got the muuuuusssssiiiiccccc in meeeeeee! Great tune, thanks!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Solitary Man:  Neil Diamond

Silver Conversationalist

My uncle was a "Solitary Man" but I don't think it had anything to do with that song. He had a job making license plates, if you know what I mean? Thanks Bob!

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Happy Thanksgiving and happy every other day too, everyone! Let's rock! Here are a couple of songs that just sprang to mind that I hadn't thought of in a while. Anyone else relate to these?

Bullet With Butterfly Wings - The Smashing Pumpkins

(Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage)

Hey Bulldog - The Beatles

(You can talk to me. If you're lonely you can talk to me. Hey bulldog!)

And since it's the "getting to know you subject" here, how about this one -

Do You Feel Like We Do - Peter Frampton

Silver Conversationalist

I'm prettysure that I posted a different version of this song in a different topic heading. Anyways, the lyrics fit me fairly so, except that I'm not a vegetarian. Have a look at - Apeman by The Kinks

Social Butterfly

Brain Damage

Pink Floyd

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Silver Conversationalist

Good stuff that I haven't heard or thought of in quite some time. Those were made in the pre-internet era. Dark Side Of The Moon was one of my first album purchases so I remember those days fondly. Now they us the internet to keep the "loonies on the path." Thanks for the reminder!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I'm a Loser

The Beatles

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Silver Conversationalist

You're no loser, in my book, if you remember Shindig! Was that the one where Bobby Sherman got his start? And how about Hullabaloo, were you a fan of that show too? Classic stuff, Lou! You're lightin;' things up for me. You've also inspired me to post a song that I think just might let you know k,e better too. Look for it a little further up the list here. Thanks again for another great share!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Superman-Five for Fighting

I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane
I'm more than some pretty face beside a train
And it's not easy to be me

Silver Conversationalist

Uh oh, looks like I got to the party a little late. Almost 68M views on YouTube and I hadn’t heard it till now. What a nice song that one is, thank you! But I do have to say that I always figured you to be more than “just some pretty face”. That’s no easy feat for any of us menfolk, super or not, to pull off! Thanks, Buddy, good pick! 👍👍🤓

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Helplessly hoping   C,S&N

Silver Conversationalist

Another very nice song you’ve chosen. Thanks for sharing!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP