Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What's your favorite Joni Mitchell song or album?

Retired Community Manager

Joni Mitchell, whose 75th birthday will be celebrated with two star-studded tribute concerts Nov. 6 and 7 at L.A.’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, is considered, along with Bob Dylan, the most significant singer-songwriter of the last half-century. (Read more...)

Regular Social Butterfly

She now has the Gershwin award: Joni Mitchell 

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

So hard to pick just one. Many great songs already mentioned.

I'll go with "Come In From The Cold"

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Chelsea Morning

0 Kudos
Contributor

Cary, "The wind is in from Africa, last night I couldn't sleep", is my favorite but all of her music is great!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

“Ladies Of The Canyon.”

Best album without a doubt is a out and Spark. Listen and see if you agree.she paints awesome pictures with her lyrics and voice.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

My two favorites have always been 'Help Me' and 'You Turn Me On I'm a Radio' with 'Free Man In Paris coming in at 3rd.  : )

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Album - Court and Spark

Song - Amelia

0 Kudos
Contributor

Court and Spark....love every song, still listen to it! Amazing talent!

Periodic Contributor

Too many to choose from ... BUT: Song to a Seagull and "Sisotowbell Lane".

Or maybe "Little Green".  Ooooh!  Just looked at my Joni playlist and here it is: "Urge for Going" wins!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'll second Miles of Aisles for album.

Chelsea Morning for song.

Contributor

The Circle Game. I used to sing it to my children when they were babies. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

One Tin Soldier (The theme from the Billy Jack movie, flawed as it is, can't forget it).

I miss the days of Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Peter Paul and Mary, and so many others.  Compare their music to what we settle for today.

bjedrick

Both sides now-there is a performance of early 2000s  with the wisdom of her life coming thru her voice that moves my soul 

I am so glad to hear she is doing well-i’d love to see her in concert-think my 22 year old son would too!

M

Blue Album

A Case of You

Retired Community Manager

Miles of Aisels album!

Gold Conversationalist

@AARPLynne wrote:

Miles of Aisels album!

That's a great one too, with Tom Scott and his band.

I was thinking the other night too of "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" (I had googled what all her albums were and had forgotten about that one). I remember that had some good tracks too.

I have all her albums through around 1990, on LP's. I still run through them from time to time. And Carole King's LP's as well.

I have to say that I have discovered so much great new music as well since YouTube and various internet streaming sites have come up. The kids these days ...putting out so much good music! I suppose that back in previous decades there was (almost) as much good music but back then it was very difficult to find and things were tightly controlled by the record companies.

Honored Social Butterfly

So many great songs, but I'll go with Woodstock. I love the lyrics and beautful cover version by CSNY.

We are stardust
Billion year old carbon
We are golden
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
back to the garden

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Contributor

Joni's BLUE album one can listen over and over again, living the imagery in her compositions and lyrics of songs that reveal much about her feelings and experiences at this time in her career and life. She's a gift to the world of music, often elusive as one having a "River" to skate away on. Love you Joni! (Graham Nash and JT too)

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hard to argue with "Song to a Seagull" being the best. I remember - vividly - the first time I heard it. Utterly spellbound in my freshman dorm room.
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

The Blue album.

And Hejira. Many great tracks on that.

0 Kudos
Contributor

The first album (Song To A Seagull), which they eventually renamed just to Joni Mitchell.  I think they did that because most people couldn't find the album name anywhere on the LP cover--it was only in the pattern of seagulls in her artwork.

Favorite song, hmm.  Probably "Marcie"

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP