Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What are your favorite Bob Dylan covers?

Honored Social Butterfly

What are your favorite Bob Dylan covers?

Bob Dylan is often mentioned as one of the most influential artists and songwriters of the 20th century, and he's still writing and performing well into the 21st. He has an extensive catalog with many songs covered by numerous artists and bands from all genres of music, from multiple generations. 

Wikipedia has a list of artists with Bob Dylan covers here - (may or may not be completely up to date)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs

So what are your favorite Bob Dylan covers? 

Post as many songs by as many artists as you like, no limits! Songs by multiple artists is okay too. Whatever suits your fancy. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Chad Mitchell Trio's "Mr. Tambourine Man"--John Denver's clear and sweet tenor gives the song a different interpretation

Trusted Contributor

Blowin in the Wind - Peter, Paul & Mary

Honored Social Butterfly

Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts:  Joan Baez

Honored Social Butterfly

It Ain't Me, Babe by Johnny Cash and June Carter

Regular Social Butterfly

Oh my gosh, if you guys haven't heard about this, you gotta check it out! Chrissie Hynde and James Walbourne have been doing one Bob Dylan cover per week during the pandemic, then having Tchad Blake put them into videos, which are all on YouTube. 

She explains their process in the description post for the first video, "I was so buoyed up by the new Dylan songs that I talked to Pretenders Guitar playing hot-shot James Walbourne and we decided it’s a good time to do those Dylan songs we’ve always talked about doing. Every singer-songwriter in the world covers the master's songs and there is an endless supply of them. So we’ve started, and will do one a week until lockdown ends. The First one is off the Shot of Love album, In The Summertime. We did it from home on our phones. I did the rhythm - sent it to James, he added guitar, sent it back to me, i put on the vocal, sent it back to him, he put on some back up vocals and organ, then we sent it to Tchad Blake to tidy up. I know you don’t need the behind the scenes details so I won’t repeat myself on the next one."

They've done 8 great covers so far and the whole series is here:

Dylan Lockdown Series 

Honored Social Butterfly

Stevie Nicks' version of "Just Like a Woman"--Stevie, with her unique, husky voice, doing a Dylan imitation--😂  

Honored Social Butterfly

Man In The Long Black Coat:  Joan Osborne

Honored Social Butterfly

Knockin On Heaven's Door:  Warren Zevon

Very emotional. Recorded not long before his death.

Honored Social Butterfly

My Back Pages  -  The Byrds   

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Tangled Up In Blue:  Indigo Girls

Honored Social Butterfly

I Shall Be Released:  The Band ( From The Last Waltz)

Silver Conversationalist

Hey how about One More Cup of Coffee by: Robert Plant 

Honored Social Butterfly

Make you feel my love- both Adele and Billy Joel's versions

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

About Lay lay lady which I have to say is my favorite Dylan song. Some songs are just not meant to be covered and Lay lady lay is one of them! Like Hey Jude, some things are better left alone imo 

Honored Social Butterfly

@BeatleloverKT wrote:

About Lay lay lady which I have to say is my favorite Dylan song. Some songs are just not meant to be covered and Lay lady lay is one of them! Like Hey Jude, some things are better left alone imo 

Yep, I get that! My Dylan classic would be Like a Rolling Stone. Though it's been covered by several artists, the song is just pure Dylan, and no one can match that, much less top it. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Forever Young - Joan Baez (the classic)

Then in 2013, a Canadian group that I especially like, The Tenors, came out with a version of this song on their album, Lead With Your Heart. It was an unexpected, but wonderful surprise. And yep, I cried, it was so beautiful. Still do. They sang this on a PBS special, and I have the DVD, also. Hope you enjoy their performance.

Forever Young - The Tenors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6-AYce-_M

Social Butterfly

All Along the Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix 

Duran Duran covered Lay Lady Lay? What the heII did that sound like?

Honored Social Butterfly

@LouLit01 wrote:

Here ya go -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgIkiYks6dc

Nice! I like it.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

@LouLit01 wrote:

Here ya go -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgIkiYks6dc

Nice! I like it.

Thanks!

Honored Social Butterfly

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Eric Clapton (1975)

Dylan wrote this song for the soundtrack to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973). It has been used in several movies and tv shows since, and performed by artists around the world. 

In 1996, Dylan gave permission to Scottish songwriter, Ted Christopher, to add lyrics to the song as a tribute to children who were killed in the Dunblane school massacre. Christopher recorded the song with Mark Knopfler on guitar. It is a very beautiful and moving version of the song.

Dunblane - Ted Christopher and Mark Knopfler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AusSNaazGVY

Honored Social Butterfly

All along the watchtower- missed that on the list. My absolute favorite Hendrix song! Also I listened to the Duran Duran cover of Lay lady lay and I gotta say they should stick to their own music! 👎🤮

Honored Social Butterfly

I will lead off with this favorite - 

If Not for You - George Harrison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5J23P_8EYI

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta @ Agreed Love George's cover of If not for you
Also love- It ain't me babe by the Turtles

Mr. Tamborine Man by the Byrds

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP