Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Songs Would You Nominate for the Greatest Songs of All Time? And Why?

Honored Social Butterfly

What Songs Would You Nominate for the Greatest Songs of All Time? And Why?

So, probably everyone knows by now that Rolling Stone Magazine updated its list of 500 Best Songs of All Time. If you haven't read through it yet, here is the link:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/kanye-west-stronger-12...

The list is definitely more diverse than ever before. Some 254 songs are new to the list. The 60's and 70's still dominate the list, but not as much as the 2004 list. You will also find 50's and pre-50's classics on the list. You will likely find many surprises.

The Beatles still lead the way with 12 songs. Behind them would be Bob Dylan, and The Rolling Stones as artists with the most songs. (Sorry, I didn't count them). Prince is the dominate artist from the 80's, with a sprinkling of U2. The 90's onwards is a hodge-podge of mostly artists and songs that i don't know or never heard. 

But this isn't to rant about what was and wasn't chosen by RS. This is about the songs that YOU would nominate if we were making our own list of greatest songs of all time. You can nominate as many songs as you like. And if you don't mind, please briefly tell us why you chose it. And yes, you can nominate the same song as someone else, or just hit the reply to that song and add your own comments. However you choose to do it okay. You don't have to list them in any particular order unless that's the way you want to roll.

I hope this will be a fun topic and folks out there will join in with their songs and comments. 

My first nominee is:  Imagine, by John Lennon, 1971

What makes it great?

First and foremost: Beautiful melodic vocals by John

It has a message: Popularized as an anthem for peace, it maintains relevance even today (sadly)

Longevity: The song has been covered more than 200 times by artists from various genres, since 2005 has been played every New Year's Eve at Times Square to ring out the old year

Has won numerous honors throughout the music industry 

That's just a few reasons why I think it's great.

FYI . . . It came in at #19 on RS List

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Agreed. Many great songs, some that don’t belong in the top 50, some I’ve

never heard of. Good thing I don’t

work for RS! Lol

Honored Social Butterfly

I think that RS is going after a younger audience. I hardly find anything of interest there anymore. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I Want To Hold Your Hand - The Beatles 

This is the song that brought Beatlemania to the USA. It changed not only music, but left an indelible impression on pop culture forever!

Honored Social Butterfly

Dreams, 1977, Fleetwood Mac

The band were going through emotional

upheavals while recording the Iconic

Rumours album. I can relate to having

personal turmoil in my life. Stevie wrote

this song in about 10 minutes but had

to sell the band on it. Lindsey had to

put a lot of construction around it to

make it work. This song showcases

Stevies beautiful voice at its best.

Dreams sold over 1 million copies in

the US and was the bands only #1 single

in the country. One of my top 3 fav songs

of theirs 🎼💜

Social Butterfly

I have oodles for the list. But to pick one, I would have to say: 

The Sound of Silence, by Simon & Garfunkel 60's ( 64 or 65 )

Not only for the voices and music, but the words are just as relevant today as then.

Especially:

"People talking without speaking
 People hearing without listening"

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes! That’s one of my favorite songs. 😎 
BTW you can nominate as many songs as you like. I’m going to edit the rules for people who want to list several songs at one time. This is for fun!

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm breaking the rule:

Blowing In The Wind & Times They Are A-Changin:  Dylan

Two songs that affected a whole generation. Nuff said!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Agree. And both have been covered by many artists over the years. Blowing In The Wind was very popular when I was in school and we sang it a lot, but had no clue what it was really about. We simply thought of it as an anti-war song, which it was, but Dylan’s lyrics went much deeper than that. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Never been a big fan of Springsteen or Tom Petty, but in the name of open-mindedness, would submit that:

Breakdown and Night Watchman - Petty

and

Pink Cadillac - Springsteen

deserve some consideration.

(Never even heard of Springsteen until he made the cover of Time magazine...Literally)

Honored Social Butterfly

All you need is love, 1967, The Beatles

The Fab 4️⃣ signed a contract to represent

Britain on Our World, to be broadcast live

internationally on June 25, 1967. They were

asked to provide a song with an easily

understood message using basic words and

chose this song for its contemporary social significance. It has

a clear message that love is everything and 

is “Flower Power” at its best. There were

many celebrity musicians at the recording

including The Stones, The Who, and others.

Since 2009, June 25th is Global Beatles Day,

A celebration of their music and social

message and a tribute to their Our World

performance of this song. It is, hands down,

my favorite Beatles song forever 🎼💜

Social Butterfly

It would be hard to keep any Beatles song out of the list. There is one song that when I hear it, I want to sing it and cry (not sad but meaningful). Don't know what it is with that simple melody it just touches me. I think the words could have even been a grocery list. 😊  Although they are a good story. I don't think it ever made top ten, maybe somewhere in 100. There are a few songs of different artists over the years that did the same.

"If I fell". Beatles 64  ---  Not a nomination for the list, just my 4 cents (inflation ya know).

Honored Social Butterfly

Have to include "The Twist". 

It created a revolution and is the only song in rock history to chart #1 in two separate years.

Bronze Conversationalist

@MaVolta I have to nominate "Reflections Of My Life" by Marmalade. The words are so beautiful, the music is both soothing and sorrowful. It really makes one think of their life and how quickly time flies. It always gets me a little reminiscent and choked up. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Rainbow, not far behind

Honored Social Butterfly

My first nominee is:  Imagine, by John Lennon, 1971

What makes it great?

First and foremost: Beautiful melodic vocals by John

It has a message: Popularized as an anthem for peace, it maintains relevance even today (sadly)

Longevity: The song has been covered more than 200 times by artists from various genres, since 2005 has been played every New Year's Eve at Times Square to ring out the old year

Has won numerous honors throughout the music industry 

That's just a few reasons why I think it's great.

FYI . . . It came in at #19 on RS List

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP