Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Moderator

What Song brings back memories

What song evokes the strongest memories for you Smile
Contributor

Since I don't have you ... Skyliners ... for obvious reasons ...
0 Kudos

In Response to What Song brings back memories:
What song evokes the strongest memories for you
Posted by AARPGuide

can't help falling in love . one of many of my favorites by Elvis
Contributor

Let's Stay Together - Al Grren

Love is a many splendid thing.
0 Kudos

The word is splendored.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I hear ya, I have a radio in my woodshop, but the only music I can get is this modern stuff.  Don't know what some of these folks were thinking when they decided to go into music.  Patsy and Connie Francis and the Platters, oh yeah, now that was music!!!

0 Kudos

Sorry.  I was wrong.  Dug out my Barry Manilow CDs this morning and Barry is definitly the memory man!  From "Bandstand Boogie" to"This One's For You" and everything in between, his songs were the accomapniment to my life for over three decades and every one evokes a memory.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Different things for different times.  The Beatles" White Album" for my wicked college years.  The Beach Boys "I Get Around" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" for high school.  I can even remember songs from my sixth grade "prom", i.e. "He'll Have To Go" and "Hello, Walls"  For some reason, lyrics are like smells to me.  They evoke strong memories.  These are just a few of hundreds!  Did I mention I love music?

Contributor

I dig it.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

In Response to Re: What Song brings back memories:
In Response to Re: What Song brings back memories : Wow Very interesting this was before my time , thanks for sharing
Posted by AARPGuide

I am not sure how funny this is, but.........     Warning, this will get into your head, and stay there!

Julie Andrews Turning 79 -

To commemorate her birthday , actress/vocalist, Julie Andrews made a special appearance at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall for the benefit of the AARP. One of the musical numbers she performed was 'My Favorite Things' from the legendary movie 'Sound Of Music'. Here are the lyrics she used:

(Sing It!) - If you sing it, its especially hysterical!!!

Botox and nose drops and needles for knitting,
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Cadillacs and cataracts, hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,

When the pipes leak, When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,

Back pain, confused brains and no need for sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
When we remember our favorite things.

When the joints ache, When the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don't feel so bad.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>
(Ms. Andrews received a standing ovation from the crowd -That lasted over four minutes and repeated encores.

Periodic Contributor

My mom's favorite song is Spanish Eyes

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

A more cheery one "Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights)- Pat Travers Live

At the time I lived at home, first serious boyfriend and thought I had all the answers...of course..." Way up high,way up high above your HEADS...still a good ol' party tune on my IPod.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Light My Fire:  The first time I heard this song(Late 60's), I was in the car with my Family heading out to the Franklin Institute for the first time. Every time I here that tune this memory comes back to me.

Regular Contributor

The Doors were the best band in the USA then. Great organ riffs and, of course, Jim's amazing voice.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@dchicks1 wrote:

The Doors were the best band in the USA then. Great organ riffs and, of course, Jim's amazing voice.

Glad you mentioned the organ riffs, dchicks1!  Jim's voice was indeed amazing, but it was the organ-playing that I loved best about much of their music.

A lot of local & regional bands felt the need to cover their song, "Light My Fire", back in the late 60's.

I remember one Saturday night being out on dance floor - I loved to dance - at a university*-sponsored event & the band was playing "Light My Fire".  It started off just great, but they dragged that song out, it seemed like 30 minutes or so, with their very monotonous instrumental cover.  I was so sick of "Light My Fire" when they finally ended it, I would have been thrilled to never hear the song again!

But I didn't give up on the Doors!  I particularly loved their songs, "People Are Strange" & "Crystal Ship", and their album, "L.A. Woman".  Smiley Very Happy

*University of Florida

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sang by Johnny Mathis was just starting out in 1957 my boy friend took me to a club in Philadelphia

too see him as I am 80 years old now I don't remember the name of the club. But from then on until

my husband passed away after 44 years o marriage that was Our Song.

When I am down or for no occasion at all I play his song it bring backs so many many memmories

to me We danced to it at our wedding and it was played at his funeral.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@jg25893865 wrote:

Sang by Johnny Mathis was just starting out in 1957 my boy friend took me to a club in Philadelphia

too see him as I am 80 years old now I don't remember the name of the club. But from then on until

my husband passed away after 44 years o marriage that was Our Song.

When I am down or for no occasion at all I play his song it bring backs so many many memmories

to me We danced to it at our wedding and it was played at his funeral.

I was, and still am, a Johnny Mathis fan.  I never saw him in person but I had the album with "Chances Are" on it.  I think it was his first.  I loved the picture on the cover and thought he was so cute, one of those teenage crushes.  My all time favorite song was "Wonderful, Wonderful", but I've liked everything that I've ever heard that was sung by him.

Sounds like a dumb parody ๐Ÿ˜ž
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life"

I discovered this one in a book of music for the piano.  I don't know how I managed to miss it when it came out in the late 60's and early 70's, but it was like making a new discovery at a time when I was asking myself this question.  At the time there were so many decisions to be made that I knew would affect the rest of my life.

Trusted Social Butterfly

This is hilarious!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP