Reply
Retired Moderator

What Song brings back memories

What song evokes the strongest memories for you Smile
20,993 Views
350
Report
Regular Contributor

"Never My Love" by The Association. It was my wife's favorite song of all time.

For me, personally, it was "Wooden Ships" by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

Regular Contributor

Temptations  ------ I Wish It Would Rain

Periodic Contributor

Since I am thinking of the Thanksgiving holiday, Over the River and Through the Woods.   Come on, sing it with me:  

 

Over the river and through the woods, to grandmother's house we go. 

The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh through the white and drifting snow.

 

Over the river and through the woods, oh how the wind does blow.

It stings the toes and bites the nose, as over the ground we go.

Contributor

Karen Carpenter- White lace and promises

0 Kudos
3,057 Views
0
Report
Bronze Conversationalist

"A Hundred Pounds of Clay" - Gene McDaniels. It described my second crush. (My first one was at age 5, too young to appreciate mature lyrics.)

Honored Social Butterfly


@DED46 wrote:

"A Hundred Pounds of Clay" - Gene McDaniels. It described my second crush. (My first one was at age 5, too young to appreciate mature lyrics.)


Well  then  let me add  

The End of the World   Skeeter Davis..   for one of those songs you play endlessly after a breakup : ) 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

My parents singing "Yellow Submarine", the radio was playing it every other something. My brother's favorite that I'd fall to sleep with...he had giant speakers in the basement " In the White Room" by Cream, takes me right back there..." Layla" too.

Honored Social Butterfly

 

Rolling Stones  Route 66

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0
Kudos
1021
Views
Gold Conversationalist

When the Horse Went Over the Mountain by Spike Jones.

Regular Contributor

I'm not overestimating when I say that I've heard Layla over a thousand times.I could hear it A thousand more times.
Newbie

Tie a Yellow Ribbon to the Old Oak Tree! by Tony Orlando and Dawn.
Regular Contributor

"Take Good Care Of My Baby" because it brings back great memories of when I moved to Florida in 1961, and this song was playing on the radio.It was recorded by one of my favorite singers, Bobby Vee, who, unfortunately now has Alzeimers Disease.


@loveabull wrote:

My parents singing "Yellow Submarine", the radio was playing it every other something. My brother's favorite that I'd fall to sleep with...he had giant speakers in the basement " In the White Room" by Cream, takes me right back there..." Layla" too.


 

Honored Social Butterfly


@ronpol1 wrote:

"Take Good Care Of My Baby" because it brings back great memories of when I moved to Florida in 1961, and this song was playing on the radio.It was recorded by one of my favorite singers, Bobby Vee, who, unfortunately now has Alzeimers Disease.

 

Hope you enjoyed being in Florida, after you moved here in 1961.  I have a fondness for the state, as DH & I are both native-born Floridians, from Jacksonville.  We currently reside in Tampa Bay area.

 

Bobby Vee was so popular "back in the day", but I rarely hear his name mentioned these days.  Did not know about his having Alzeimer's - am sorry to hear that.   Pam 

0 Kudos
2,680 Views
0
Report
Periodic Contributor

"Over the Rainbow", from "The Wizard of Oz", also sung, very Nani, ( beautiful), by "Brother Iz", from Hawai'i, before he had died! If one has never "heard Brother Iz", sing, "Over the Rainbow", bring it up, on "U-Tube", you'll never listen to it, the "same way", again"!

Periodic Contributor

OH, yes! Brother Iz's 'Over the Rainbow' is really a once-in-a-lifetime performance.  I am transported back to Maui, driving down the Pi'ilani Highway, trade winds blowing and the smell of plumeria trees. Lucky airline retiree; I've been many times. Aloha Bro Iz. 

0 Kudos
2,699 Views
0
Report
Periodic Contributor

OH, yes! Brother Iz's 'Over the Rainbow' is really aonce-in-a-lifetime performance.  I am transported back to Maui, driving down the Pi'ilani Highway, trade winds blowing and the smell of plumeria trees. Lucky airline retiree; I've been many times. Aloha Bro Iz. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I have really enjoyed reading all of these posts.. and all the memories that music brings with it...

and here is one of mine..    remembering those days and Bruce and his music!!

 

 Thunder Road   1975     https://youtu.be/x5kXnq5IjdU
  

A thematic companion piece to 'Born to Run' (see No. 1 on our list of the Top 10 Bruce Springsteen Songs), this soaring album-opening cut follows a similar narrative but gets there in an entirely different way. Beginning and ending with moments of quiet reverie, 'Thunder Road' builds to a moment of determined hopefulness in between, symbolized by the unforgettable image of Springsteen running into Clarence Clemons' arms onstage during countless shows in the 1980s.

 

ps  hard to listen to Clarence without a tear or two!  RIP Big Man!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Bronze Conversationalist

Harlem Nocturne by The Viscounts (1959). According to Wikipedia, the tune has been around since 1939 and has been recorded by just about everyone, but The Viscounts' version is by far the most earthy and moody instrumental I've ever heard. I challenge anyone to do a slow dance to this tune and not feel sexy.

Info Seeker

A Rose and a Baby Ruth -   George Hamilton  IV

Valley of Tears  -   Fats Domino

Troubles  -  Jackson Bros.

Someone Someone  -  Crickets

0 Kudos
2,342 Views
0
Report
Contributor

When I was in high school, the local hotel would shut down the dance hall to adults and let the teenagers have it on Monday nights.  Didn't make much difference what type, style, or category 

of music was played during the evening, the last dance was ALWAYS "Crazy" by Patsy Cline.

To this day, every time I hear the song it "takes me back" to a much simpler time.

0 Kudos
1,474 Views
10
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rr3992 wrote:

When I was in high school, the local hotel would shut down the dance hall to adults and let the teenagers have it on Monday nights.  Didn't make much difference what type, style, or category 

of music was played during the evening, the last dance was ALWAYS "Crazy" by Patsy Cline.

To this day, every time I hear the song it "takes me back" to a much simpler time.


Great memories!  thanks for sharing.   along with Patsy,  I remember Brenda Lee

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
1,692 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Brenda Lee brings back a lot of memories.  When we first got a TV so many shows were local,  We were lucky in Atlanta in that we had 3 channels and a lot of local talent.  One of our groups were called the "Peachtree Cowboys".  Of course everything in Atlanta is "Peachtree".  This was a country and western group that all played guitars and dressed like Roy Rogers.  They were on Saturdays along with all the other westerns on Saturday mornings.  About once a month they would have a little girl on with them.  I remember blonde hair in a "poodle" hair cut and she wore a cowgirl outfit with fringe on the vest and skirt.  She must have been about 10 years old, which made her a bit younger than I was.  When she opened her mouth everyone was amazed at the sound that came out.  I would have given anything to sound like her.  We all felt like "we knew her when" a few years later when she hit the national stage.

Honored Social Butterfly


@PattyDiane wrote:

Brenda Lee brings back a lot of memories.  When we first got a TV so many shows were local,  We were lucky in Atlanta in that we had 3 channels and a lot of local talent.  One of our groups were called the "Peachtree Cowboys".  Of course everything in Atlanta is "Peachtree".  This was a country and western group that all played guitars and dressed like Roy Rogers.  They were on Saturdays along with all the other westerns on Saturday mornings.  About once a month they would have a little girl on with them.  I remember blonde hair in a "poodle" hair cut and she wore a cowgirl outfit with fringe on the vest and skirt.  She must have been about 10 years old, which made her a bit younger than I was.  When she opened her mouth everyone was amazed at the sound that came out.  I would have given anything to sound like her.  We all felt like "we knew her when" a few years later when she hit the national stage.


Wow  great story!   thanks for sharing.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
1,775 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I think if you are a music lover you usually appreciate all kinds of music and I went through a period of time where I listened to country... both old time and newer  and I still know lots of the songs and lyrics which surprises people  : )  

 

Those songs remind me of a different time in my life..  so here is one of my favs! 

 

Dottie West   Paper Mansions

 

http://youtu.be/aJ_gqtf44a8

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

I think if you are a music lover you usually appreciate all kinds of music and I went through a period of time where I listened to country... both old time and newer  and I still know lots of the songs and lyrics which surprises people  : )  

 ______________________________________________________________________________

 

Diane:   I like, and agree with, your statement about a music lover usually appreciating all kinds of music. Smiley Very Happy  I have been through two periods of heavy-duty country listening, and also like a good many of the country classics from way-back-when.  Pam

 

1
Kudos
4927
Views
Social Butterfly

OMG as you get older what songs DON"T bring back memories? First one that comes to mind-

"Good Thing"-The Fine Young Cannibals

A background song in the movie "Tin Men". A concert I went to maybe 7 months pregnant...and Roland couldn't dance to save his life, but my daughter was in there feeling the beat so strong my buddy thought I'd go into labor that night. Then fast forward to that daughter as a hyperactive infant who would only go to sleep with music playing..."My GOOD thing WHERE have ya gone...", then fast forward a decade plus and that daughter estranged " Where have ya gone, ya been gone so long..." . Still a timeless song despite all that.

Honored Social Butterfly


@loveabull wrote:

OMG as you get older what songs DON"T bring back memories? First one that comes to mind-

"Good Thing"-The Fine Young Cannibals

A background song in the movie "Tin Men". A concert I went to maybe 7 months pregnant...and Roland couldn't dance to save his life, but my daughter was in there feeling the beat so strong my buddy thought I'd go into labor that night. Then fast forward to that daughter as a hyperactive infant who would only go to sleep with music playing..."My GOOD thing WHERE have ya gone...", then fast forward a decade plus and that daughter estranged " Where have ya gone, ya been gone so long..." . Still a timeless song despite all that.


Great song and great memories!      and yes even the videos of FYC  are great...  I loved She Drives Me Crazy..  "that long blond hair"  !!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
2,157 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

I think if you are a music lover you usually appreciate all kinds of music and I went through a period of time where I listened to country... both old time and newer  and I still know lots of the songs and lyrics which surprises people  : )  

 

Those songs remind me of a different time in my life..  so here is one of my favs! 

 


Willie Nelson Arlo Guthrie and Dottie West     City of New Orleans

 

http://youtu.be/mOFP-jYCvyw

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0
Kudos
409
Views
0 Kudos
1,854 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Chubby Checker and "The Twist"

 

When I was a senior in high school my best friend was a freshman in college.  I was invited to spend a weekend that included a football game and a fraternity party with a blind date from Long Island, NY.  When I walked through the door to the party "The Twist" was being played and everyone in the room were "twisting".  I had never seen the dance before.  It had not yet reached my high school, but I learned it that night and on Monday morning when I did a demonstration for a few friends, I felt like I was a member of the "in" group.

Honored Social Butterfly

The Way We Were    Barbra Streisand

 

This song always makes me so sad... from the wonderful movie of the same name!  Just reminds me of my youth, and school and those early days..  and of course the movie. : )

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
1,686 Views
0
Report