Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What Song brings back memories

Message 61 of 347

Anything off the SWEET BABY JAMES album.

@AARPGuide wrote:
What song evokes the strongest memories for you Smile

Fire and Rain

bbqchop
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 347

How about 'Fortunate Son' by Creedence. 

The Viet Nam conflict  was so awful, I think many of us boomers have locked away many of our feelings around it. Seems like the primary goal of every young man was to somehow avoid being drafted. Such a time of confusion and disillusion, for our parents had been part of an unavoidable and necessary war, which we actually won.  We were a generation torn between a love of country and the realization that our leaders were making terrible mistakes, for which young Americans and their families would pay dearly. God bless all the Vets. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 347

@dchicks1 wrote:

The Doors were the best band in the USA then. Great organ riffs and, of course, Jim's amazing voice.

Glad you mentioned the organ riffs, dchicks1!  Jim's voice was indeed amazing, but it was the organ-playing that I loved best about much of their music.

A lot of local & regional bands felt the need to cover their song, "Light My Fire", back in the late 60's.

I remember one Saturday night being out on dance floor - I loved to dance - at a university*-sponsored event & the band was playing "Light My Fire".  It started off just great, but they dragged that song out, it seemed like 30 minutes or so, with their very monotonous instrumental cover.  I was so sick of "Light My Fire" when they finally ended it, I would have been thrilled to never hear the song again!

But I didn't give up on the Doors!  I particularly loved their songs, "People Are Strange" & "Crystal Ship", and their album, "L.A. Woman".  Smiley Very Happy

*University of Florida

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 347

OH, yes! Brother Iz's 'Over the Rainbow' is really a once-in-a-lifetime performance.  I am transported back to Maui, driving down the Pi'ilani Highway, trade winds blowing and the smell of plumeria trees. Lucky airline retiree; I've been many times. Aloha Bro Iz. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 347

I was in my twenties when the album "Born To Run" by Bruce Springsteen And The E-Street Band was released in the mid-70's. Every song on that album is just spectacular. I know every word of every song. I can even play a few of them on my guitar (just not as good as Bruce and little Steven).

Bruce has come a long way and still produces amazing stuff to this day. Listen to the "Live In Dublin" album; or better yet, watch the video. Bruce is one of rock's rennaisance men (along iwth Getty Lee of Rush). Speaking of Rush,....OMG, another amazing rock group. Kinda' got off of the subject didn't I?

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 347

OH, yes! Brother Iz's 'Over the Rainbow' is really aonce-in-a-lifetime performance.  I am transported back to Maui, driving down the Pi'ilani Highway, trade winds blowing and the smell of plumeria trees. Lucky airline retiree; I've been many times. Aloha Bro Iz. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 347

"Take Good Care Of My Baby" because it brings back great memories of when I moved to Florida in 1961, and this song was playing on the radio.It was recorded by one of my favorite singers, Bobby Vee, who, unfortunately now has Alzeimers Disease.

@loveabull wrote:

My parents singing "Yellow Submarine", the radio was playing it every other something. My brother's favorite that I'd fall to sleep with...he had giant speakers in the basement " In the White Room" by Cream, takes me right back there..." Layla" too.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 347

The Doors were the best band in the USA then. Great organ riffs and, of course, Jim's amazing voice.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 347

Admittedly, there was some "experimentation" going on in the 60's and early 70's, so "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane is still a favorite (and I seem to have some memory of those days, or maybe 60's flashbacks.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 347

The theme from film,  "Dr. Zhivago"...

I went off to college in fall of 1966.  In 1994 my dad finally got around to sharing with me that the theme from Dr. Zhivago always made him think of that first fall I went away, & how much he missed me.  Seems the song was playing on the radio a lot that fall.  Now, every time I hear the song, I think about my dad - he passed on in 1996 - & how much he missed me.  Kinda sweet & also bittersweet...  

Kudos
Views