Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Moderator

What Song brings back memories

What song evokes the strongest memories for you Smile
Info Seeker

The super bowl shuffle takes me back to the 80's the greatest decade ever also the best time of my life period. Like Forrest Gump said that's all I have to say about that.
0 Kudos
Contributor

"You're Mine and We Belong Together" was a favorite but not sure who the singer(s) was/were. It was about 1959 and I had been going out with the first girlfriend for over one year (I was sixteen and she was fourteen). It's that time in a young relationship when you can't think about anything but her but one or the other start thinking about going with another and you're torn about your first love and moving on.

This was in Fullerton in the OC.

0 Kudos

"Chances Are"  by Johnny Mathis--At the OLD age I am now, I still get  all "woozy", thinking  about my FIRST LOVE.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Loaded question, wow.

Piece of My Heart. Janis Joplin.

Absolutely anything by the Beatles.

I was born in 1950 and they wrote the

soundtrack of our lives.

I didn't appreciate Brian Wilson then

but I really do now.

There's a album called "Pet Soul"

by Splitsville, which is a beautiful homage

to both Pet Sounds & Rubber Soul...Pet Soul!

It's on Spotify....you might love it, too.

All time fave album, "David Johansen"

..his first solo album.

0 Kudos

"Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers...memories of the one who got away.

Oh What A Night (late December back in 63) by Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons. If I have to explain why you have no imagination. ๐Ÿ˜œ
0 Kudos
Contributor

Every time I hear Eric Clapton sing Wonderful Tonight I get dreamy.  I think it is one of the most romantic songs ever.

"O happy Day" When Jesus wash your sin away
Contributor

Oh Happy Day was a great one, but how about "Spirit in the Sky" for a great cruising song?

0 Kudos

I agree with both choices...and for some reason brought to mind the song "I'll Take You There" by the Staples Singers...great groove!

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Up on the Roof

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Songs in general are one of the biggest triggers for memories that I have come across. Each has it's own special connections but perhaps one that really stands out is Patsy Cline singing " I fall to pieces" because it was one of the first old style country tunes that really rang my emotional buzzer.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When I was a teenager, we used to have what was called the "Monday Night Dances" mostly kids getting together at the local hotel and playing the juke box.  It was almost an unwritten rule that the last dance of the night was the one you mentioned by Patsy Cline.  I still play it on the computer from time to time and yup, I drift back to the GOOD days.

0 Kudos

Patsy Cline. The only CW singer I can stand. I Fall To Pieces, Crazy
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands. - - Douglas Adams
0 Kudos
Contributor

The song titles bring back memories, but don't rely on anyone's memory for factual info. For example, afer just a brief perusal:

"Earth Angel" is not by The Flamingoes. Same species, different bird; The Penguins did the 1954 hit.

And Tom Hanks' dad was not with The Diamonds, In a 1999 interview on "Inside the Actors' Studio," he said his dad died in 1992 and was an itineerant cook. No mention of The Daimonds.

And, it's "Love is a Many SPENDORED Thing," not "splendid."

0 Kudos
Contributor

The Way We Were from 1973.
0 Kudos

As a 5th grader it was hands down:  Petula Clark's "Downtown".  When my daughter heard it when she was 8 or 9 she loved it too!  After that - 7th grade it was The Turtles "So Happy Together".  In HS it transitioned from Iron Butterfly to Moody Blues by graduation with a big chunk of Led Zepplin, Santana, Crosby, Stills and Nash.  Then on to Carole King: Tapestry album!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, Dire Straits was good. Also liked Romeo and Juliet and Brothers in Arms.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Rikki Don't Lose that Number - Steely Dan. Played all summer long.
Info Seeker

THE theme song from A Summer's Place

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

dire straits--a great band--- the video of "walk of life"( really like that song!).. reminds me of my husband--he was a big football, baseball, basketball fan---he passed from this life 6 yrs. ago....so i have a great fondness for this song...makes me smile everytime....

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@oliveoil69 wrote:

dire straits--a great band--- the video of "walk of life"( really like that song!).. reminds me of my husband--he was a big football, baseball, basketball fan---he passed from this life 6 yrs. ago....so i have a great fondness for this song...makes me smile everytime....

The Lion Sleeps Tonight    The Tokens

We danced to this song at lunch at schiool for months! 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Regular Contributor

my baby whispers in my ear...SWEET NOTHINGS...brenda lee..earned her name of ..little miss dynamite..big talent in a little package...i wasn't old enough to drive when this was a hit..but i could dance!!  and still love it...still makes me smile when i play it..dancing still!!  olive oil

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@oliveoil69 wrote:

my baby whispers in my ear...SWEET NOTHINGS...brenda lee..earned her name of ..little miss dynamite..big talent in a little package...i wasn't old enough to drive when this was a hit..but i could dance!!  and still love it...still makes me smile when i play it..dancing still!!  olive oil

aww that was lovely.  thank you for sharing.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"You'll Never Walk Alone", from "Carousel"

My two oldest great-nieces are graduating from high school.  Today  is the day for one and the other graduated two weeks ago.  It has made me think of my own graduation from HS.  As luck would have it, my place in line was between two boys I  had known since elementary school.  They absolutely forbade tears during the ceremony and they guaranteed this by telling me jokes every few minutes.  I might have been the only one who laughed during all the great speeches, thanks to the two Davids.  And then "You'll Never Walk Alone" was sung by our very talented classmate.  There were no jokes during that and I think I spotted a tear in the eyes of them both.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@PattyDiane wrote:

"You'll Never Walk Alone", from "Carousel"

My two oldest great-nieces are graduating from high school.  Today  is the day for one and the other graduated two weeks ago.  It has made me think of my own graduation from HS.  As luck would have it, my place in line was between two boys I  had known since elementary school.  They absolutely forbade tears during the ceremony and they guaranteed this by telling me jokes every few minutes.  I might have been the only one who laughed during all the great speeches, thanks to the two Davids.  And then "You'll Never Walk Alone" was sung by our very talented classmate.  There were no jokes during that and I think I spotted a tear in the eyes of them both.

Another great story PattyDiane    no wonder people love music !

0 Kudos
Contributor

The song that best brings back memories for me is, " IWant to Hold Your Hand", by

The Beatles.

I first saw them, on the Ed Sullivan Show. When they first appeared, I didn't know who, or what,

they were. I had never seen anything like them, before. I didn't know if they even spoke English. But as soon as they started singing, I was immediately hooked. I immediately became a Beatles fan.

However, my parents, who were professionals in the music business themselves, immediately hated them. I guess that all parents did, at that time.

But, they never stopped me from buying any Beatles albums, nor did they complain, when I

played them.

My parents were very smart.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I just posted one that really brought back the memories.  I don't even know what made me think of it.

"Hearts Made of Stone", by The Charms.  I remember dancing to that at the sock hops that were held on Friday nights at a teen center near to where I lived.  We were too young to drive so a parent had to take us and pick us back up after the dance and it was in an area that overlapped about three school districts so there were always kids there that we didn't know.  It seemed so exciting and we felt so grown up.

Honored Social Butterfly

@PattyDiane wrote:

I just posted one that really brought back the memories.  I don't even know what made me think of it.

"Hearts Made of Stone", by The Charms.  I remember dancing to that at the sock hops that were held on Friday nights at a teen center near to where I lived.  We were too young to drive so a parent had to take us and pick us back up after the dance and it was in an area that overlapped about three school districts so there were always kids there that we didn't know.  It seemed so exciting and we felt so grown up.

holy mackerel   I have not heard that in ... a really long time  : )  

0 Kudos

Brilliant - and hysterical - - and so very true. Julie Andrews is one of a kind, unique and a classic!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP