Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Moderator

What Song brings back memories

What song evokes the strongest memories for you Smile
Super Contributor

The good folks at AARP have more important things to do they refuse to change my join date the true date is 12/09/2009
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

The good folks at AARP just don't like me today.
Everthing Is Beautiful Ray Stevens 1970
This song was playing in the delivery room at the 130th Station Hospital in Heildburg Germany. Everytime I hear this song I think of looking into my son's face.
The good folks at AARP have more important things to do they refuse to change my join date the true date is 12/09/2009
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

There are so many songs to mention, but I've always loved the music of the rock group Chicago as Chicago is my home. Nothing could be better than listening to Chicago while coasting along Lake Shore Drive. Such a great group!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@intersan wrote:

There are so many songs to mention, but I've always loved the music of the rock group Chicago as Chicago is my home. Nothing could be better than listening to Chicago while coasting along Lake Shore Drive. Such a great group!

How about one of their great songs... Hard to Say I'm Sorry

http://youtu.be/GgMRkW5KZsk

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Not all memories are happy.. 

Today's date is the anniversary of the killings at Kent State University in 1970, a day that I will never forget.  It was a day of disbelief followed by disillusionment.   The song OHIO brings it all back.. and although it is sad it should always be remembered!

"Ohio"Single by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Youngfrom the album So Far

Bronze Conversationalist

'Restless Wind' was the first 'grown-up' song I became enamored with, and it grabbed me because of the minor mode, a music term.

When I started high school we first went to band camp.  The older kids all knew me because my brother, who was the asst. band director and kinda Native American looking, had brought me to the band room before home football games for a few year.  I'm a blue-eyed blond, thus a bit of a surprise for them.  So at band camp the Four Season's 'Sherri' was played a lot for me.  Some of the girls in my class didn't understand and became quite jealous of me.

Being a music major, a lot of the mid-60's songs were special to me, so many to mention.  We're preparing for ou 50ths class reunion, and the committee is calling it the same as our Senior Prom title, with all the songs from that time.

Super Contributor

Being in Viet Nam the song

Running In the Jungle by CCR

brings back bitter memories.  Of a country that could not honor those that were serving their country.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@memadeania wrote:

Being in Viet Nam the song

Running In the Jungle by CCR

brings back bitter memories.  Of a country that could not honor those that were serving their country.

Your words remind me that music brings back alll kinds of memories and they are not all good and happy..  but they deserve to be remembered for the lessons that we should have learned.  

Thank you for your post.. 

Honored Social Butterfly

“Misty” by Johnny Mathis is the song. I loved it the first time I remember hearing it during my senior year of high school. I remember dancing to it at my graduation dance with my first real love and my sunburned body, but that’s another story.

The time is the late 1960’s. This was a time of much unrest in the country. Each time we turned on the TV or radio there was talk of some riot somewhere in the country, usually about the race issue. In Atlanta we had very little trouble, perhaps because it was the home of Martin Luther King, Jr. or maybe there was another reason. At the same time, this is not to say we didn’t have our share of crazies and we were not that secure that the calm would continue.

The place is a small neighborhood bar in the basement of an apartment building located on a street only a block long between the Georgia Tech campus and that of Georgia State. At night it was frequented by college students and the small stage usually held a local folk singer. But on Saturday afternoon beer was sold for $1 a pitcher and musicians from all over the city, both professional and amateur, came by and held a jam session. The door was left open during good weather and the music could be heard all over the neighborhood.

In these days the habit of “race mixing” was still new in the city and, for whatever reason, it was more normal for the white kids to frequent the black clubs to see James Brown and the many groups of the day, than for it to be the other way around. That’s what makes this day so memorable.

My husband and I were there early and had a table near the stage holding only a small piano and a drum set. There had been a group jamming consisting of two guitars, the drums and a flute when all of a sudden the place seemed to darken. This was caused by the massive figure which almost filled the small door.

He had the skin color that can honestly be called black, made to look even darker in contrast to the green/yellow/orange dashiki that he wore. His hair was in an Afro that made his already large head appear even larger. He must have been at least 6’4” and 300-lbs, and he wore a necklace of what looked like tiger teeth around his neck. Those were the only teeth I could see because he wasn’t smiling.

All eyes were on him as he took a place in the very back, a table for one beside the men’s room. A waitress soon took him a glass of beer and the group who had been on stage went back to their seats, leaving the stage empty.

After drinking about half of the beer, he arose and walked to the piano, spread his fingers that looked like sausages and could span about 12 keys, and began to play the most beautiful rendition of “Misty” that I have ever heard. As he played the beautiful melody I was able to see tears rolling from his eyes and down his cheeks. I don’t think he was the only one in the room who shed tears that afternoon.

Once he finished he returned to his table, drank the rest of the beer and left. I never saw him again and nobody seemed to know his name, but I’ve thought of him each time I’ve heard the song since.

I met my wife when I was 16.  We often made out at her friends house to the music of Johnny Mathis.  She was two years younger.  We attended 2 junior and 2 senior proms.  I always asked the band to play Misty for us.  Misty is our song.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@PattyDiane wrote:

“Misty” by Johnny Mathis is the song. I loved it the first time I remember hearing it during my senior year of high school. I remember dancing to it at my graduation dance with my first real love and my sunburned body, but that’s another story.

The time is the late 1960’s. This was a time of much unrest in the country. Each time we turned on the TV or radio there was talk of some riot somewhere in the country, usually about the race issue. In Atlanta we had very little trouble, perhaps because it was the home of Martin Luther King, Jr. or maybe there was another reason. At the same time, this is not to say we didn’t have our share of crazies and we were not that secure that the calm would continue.

The place is a small neighborhood bar in the basement of an apartment building located on a street only a block long between the Georgia Tech campus and that of Georgia State. At night it was frequented by college students and the small stage usually held a local folk singer. But on Saturday afternoon beer was sold for $1 a pitcher and musicians from all over the city, both professional and amateur, came by and held a jam session. The door was left open during good weather and the music could be heard all over the neighborhood.

In these days the habit of “race mixing” was still new in the city and, for whatever reason, it was more normal for the white kids to frequent the black clubs to see James Brown and the many groups of the day, than for it to be the other way around. That’s what makes this day so memorable.

My husband and I were there early and had a table near the stage holding only a small piano and a drum set. There had been a group jamming consisting of two guitars, the drums and a flute when all of a sudden the place seemed to darken. This was caused by the massive figure which almost filled the small door.

He had the skin color that can honestly be called black, made to look even darker in contrast to the green/yellow/orange dashiki that he wore. His hair was in an Afro that made his already large head appear even larger. He must have been at least 6’4” and 300-lbs, and he wore a necklace of what looked like tiger teeth around his neck. Those were the only teeth I could see because he wasn’t smiling.

All eyes were on him as he took a place in the very back, a table for one beside the men’s room. A waitress soon took him a glass of beer and the group who had been on stage went back to their seats, leaving the stage empty.

After drinking about half of the beer, he arose and walked to the piano, spread his fingers that looked like sausages and could span about 12 keys, and began to play the most beautiful rendition of “Misty” that I have ever heard. As he played the beautiful melody I was able to see tears rolling from his eyes and down his cheeks. I don’t think he was the only one in the room who shed tears that afternoon.

Once he finished he returned to his table, drank the rest of the beer and left. I never saw him again and nobody seemed to know his name, but I’ve thought of him each time I’ve heard the song since.

That was a great story!  Thank you for sharing it.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

God Bless our Vietnam Vets.

Contributor

"Superstar"  Bette Midler  Haunting, yearning for love in 1972 that still stays with me. Meant even more once my heart had been truly lovebroken.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Let's face it, almost every song brings back a memory of some sort, especially those written before the '90's when I spent so much time in the car listening to the radio on my way to and from work.  But this weekend  I saw a program on PBS about the music of Burt Bacarack and was flooded with memories from each and every one of them.  I was getting a divorce at the time The Fifth Dimensions recorded "One Less Bell to Answer"  and I was dating a guy who was into piano bars and I was always asked to sing "Close to You".  My favorite to sing was "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" and the list could go on and on.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@PattyDiane wrote:

Let's face it, almost every song brings back a memory of some sort, especially those written before the '90's when I spent so much time in the car listening to the radio on my way to and from work.  But this weekend  I saw a program on PBS about the music of Burt Bacarack and was flooded with memories from each and every one of them.  I was getting a divorce at the time The Fifth Dimensions recorded "One Less Bell to Answer"  and I was dating a guy who was into piano bars and I was always asked to sing "Close to You".  My favorite to sing was "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" and the list could go on and on.

You are right!!  that is the thing about music.. hearing a few bars a few words can take you back to the times and places long gone like nothing else can (maybe movies : )  )  They evoke the same feelings some ten twenty thirty or more years apart and bring back people and places we havn't seen in all that time.  I don't know where I would start with a list.. but I will think about it and post some songs that bring back special memories..

My first would probably be one of those that I remember my dad singing when I was young..He loved music especially big band from his days, and the music of WWII   maybe I will start with one of those .. this is one I remember him singing

Good Night Irene   Led Belly  not sure of his favorite cover

Honored Social Butterfly

I heard a song the other day and the memories came flooding back.  The song was "Goodbye Girl" and I don't remember who sang the version of over thirty years ago, but I remember the night vividly.

I was at an ice skating rink and it was closing the next day.  I grew up in Atlanta and there were no ice rinks, but I saw "Holiday on Ice" and I wanted to do that.  Thirty years later I met a man from Minnesota and he was into hockey and his kids were into ice skating and by this time there were rinks.  He introduced me into the sport and it seemed our lives revolved around that for several years.  He became my husband and the children my step-children.  His daughter and I both took lessons and joined the figure skating club, We appeared in shows at the rink and competed in local competitions.  We even built a new house and moved closer.  It became our home away from home and the other people who skated there became a family.  Then the owner sold the building.  I've forgotten what it was to be used for, but it was not for ice skating.

That last night that it was open everybody came.  There were so many people on the ice that it was impossible to skate, but it didn't matter.  There were some people who came from out of town who hadn't been there for a while so there were lots of hugs and lots of memories shared. 

The last song that was played was "Goodbye Girl".  The lights were dimmed and, with everyone on the ice, there wasn't a dry eye in the place.  I don't know what everyone else was feeling, but I was feeling the loss of something that was so very precious, that had nothing to do with ice skating.  There were other rinks in Atlanta, but it was the end of a family and I think other people knew it too.

Contributor

That song was sung by Bread.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@PattyDiane wrote:

The last song that was played was "Goodbye Girl".  The lights were dimmed and, with everyone on the ice, there wasn't a dry eye in the place.  I don't know what everyone else was feeling, but I was feeling the loss of something that was so very precious, that had nothing to do with ice skating.  There were other rinks in Atlanta, but it was the end of a family and I think other people knew it too.

What a lovely story... Thanks for sharing it.

Whole Lotta Love   Led Zeppelin....    No story  just memories of my youth LOL  

ps  what a minute  that didn't sound too good..  more precisely  I loved Zeppelin and always will and that song along with a host of others just brings back those days.. I have watched The Song Remains the Same. countless times and will no doubt continue : )

Contributor

Goodbye Girl was done by Bread.
0 Kudos
Contributor

In Response to Re: What Song brings back memories:

Do you Remember the group The Diamonds?  The Diamonds..   Performances 47 years apart FYI, the lead singer of the Diamonds is also the father of TOM HANKS.     If you were alive in 1957, and old enough to enjoy Rock and Roll, you will probably remember the group, "The Diamonds" who had just launched their super hit "Little Darlin' ". For you that are too young to remember - it was a time when the performers were happy, enjoying themselves, respecting their fans, dressed appropriately and their lyrics could be understood. They did not feel obligated to scream, eat the microphone, mumble inaudible lyrics or trash the set.   In 1957, The Diamonds had a hit with "Little Darlin". 47 years later, they were requested to perform at Atlantic City ... This link leads to both performances.   Watch the first one then scroll down for the new one 47 years later.   http://www.flixxy.com/the-diamonds-little-darlin-1957-2004..htm
Posted by louisie

1985. I'm a contestant on Jeopardy! Musical Gems the category. Audio Daily Double." Little Darlin'"plays. I say "What Are the Sapphires"? That song cost me thousands of dollars but I do like it.

Trusted Contributor

As a teen in love with love and my future husband, in the 50's, any love song was great to me.  Thinking back though there were two that meant a lot to me, and they still do.  One was "Young Love" by Sonny James, the other was "Only You".  by The Platters.  "Young Love", because I knew I wanted to marry my guy.   Fifty five years of marriage  later we are still together and i still love that song.  "Only You" because he wrote me a letter and had printed the words to that song in it.  He said in that letterr "This is how I feel about you."  I still get misty eyed when I hear that song. 
Kudos
Views

Oh so many, but three for sure are,  Come and get these memories/Martha and the Vandellas , Groovin/ The Young Rascals and Lighter shade of Pale/ Poco Harum...Now you got me sitting back here thinking its good to recall those times...
Social Butterfly

“The Times They Are a-Changin” … Bob Dylan (1964)

A number of changes socially and politically set in motion during the 60’s that are evidenced today.   

"Compared to What" by Les McCann.

0 Kudos
Contributor

"The Makings of You" by the late, great Curtis Mayfield.
0 Kudos

"Michelle" by the Beatles
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

OK, this is my last.  I do not like movie theme songs because they lack soul.  They're usually written with corny lyrics but there's one that just places me in orbit.  I even record it whenever it's on TV so I can relisten.  The theme from The Long Hot Summer sung by Jimmy Rogers.  The lyrics are corny.  It must be Jimmy Rogers who makes the song so great.  There was once a poll for the best movie theme song and it wasn't even on the list. 
0 Kudos

I was born in 1951 so I grew up in the '60s,what a time for music!  The Beatles, Chad and Jeremy, Peter and Gordon, the Dave Clark Five - yes I was greatly affected by the British Invasion!  "There are Places in my Life" by The Beatles will always bring tears!
Posted by gsisto12

My friend who past in a single car accident in his Porsche in the mid 80's got me hooked on English bands in the 60's.  Some of my favorites are The Zombies and The Yardbirds.  Seen them both in recent years in concert. They're getting old.

0 Kudos

Since I don't have you ... Skyliners ... for obvious reasons ...
Posted by MsLiz101044

The above is by far my favorite.  However, I have a bunch.  One from Maybe the late '80's and a one hit wonder is my favorite to dance to:  Come On Eilene by Dexies Midnight Runners.  Then therer's Love Shack by the B 52's.  Dancings fun even for us old guys.  Lindy Hop taught by my PE instructor in the 8th grade gym class.  Get out there and shake it.

I'm a big fan of Little Richard who is the true King of Rock & Roll, not Elvis. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Although I've already registered my opinion on songs, I had to add this... Back in the early 50's, when I had no control over the radio and what it played, I heard a song that stayed in my head over the years, and couldn't for the life of me find a copy of it. Now 50 some odd years later, a fiend gave me his fathers collection of records, who use to be a DJ. And low and behold there was a copy of that song. It was sang by Jim Ed Brown, and the title was "Three Bells". Of all the songs I've loved and collected over the years, and I have hundreds of 45's, 78's and 33's, that song is close to the first song I remeber hearing and sticking in my memory. Anyone else remember it??? It describes the three phases of a man's life through the bells that play for each phase of his, little Jimmy Brown's, life! It's a beautiful song.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP