Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Moderator

What Song brings back memories

What song evokes the strongest memories for you Smile
Regular Contributor

In Response to Re: What Song brings back memories:
In Response to What Song brings back memories : "We've only just begun." I have no idea who recorded it, but this was the song at my first wedding; my husband died 10 months later.
Posted by LJFJ

If I recall correctly, that would be the Carpenters. Great song! Also a favorite!!
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Do you Remember the group The Diamonds?  The Diamonds..   Performances 47 years apart FYI, the lead singer of the Diamonds is also the father of TOM HANKS.     If you were alive in 1957, and old enough to enjoy Rock and Roll, you will probably remember the group, "The Diamonds" who had just launched their super hit "Little Darlin' ". For you that are too young to remember - it was a time when the performers were happy, enjoying themselves, respecting their fans, dressed appropriately and their lyrics could be understood. They did not feel obligated to scream, eat the microphone, mumble inaudible lyrics or trash the set.   In 1957, The Diamonds had a hit with "Little Darlin". 47 years later, they were requested to perform at Atlantic City ... This link leads to both performances.   Watch the first one then scroll down for the new one 47 years later.   http://www.flixxy.com/the-diamonds-little-darlin-1957-2004..htm
Posted by louisie

The link in your article does not work.  I found it online and it is: http://www.flixxy.com/the-diamonds-little-darlin-1957-2004.htm
If you notice at the end, 1957-2004..htm is incorrect in the original article.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do you Remember the group The Diamonds?  The Diamonds..   Performances 47 years apart FYI, the lead singer of the Diamonds is also the father of TOM HANKS.     If you were alive in 1957, and old enough to enjoy Rock and Roll, you will probably remember the group, "The Diamonds" who had just launched their super hit "Little Darlin' ". For you that are too young to remember - it was a time when the performers were happy, enjoying themselves, respecting their fans, dressed appropriately and their lyrics could be understood. They did not feel obligated to scream, eat the microphone, mumble inaudible lyrics or trash the set.   In 1957, The Diamonds had a hit with "Little Darlin". 47 years later, they were requested to perform at Atlantic City ... This link leads to both performances.   Watch the first one then scroll down for the new one 47 years later.   http://www.flixxy.com/the-diamonds-little-darlin-1957-2004..htm
Posted by louisie

The lead singer of The Diamonds is not Tom Hanks father.  I thought this was true too but it isn't.  Sorry.
0 Kudos

In Response to What Song brings back memories:
What song evokes the strongest memories for you
Posted by AARPGuide

I Only Have Eyes For You
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

Diane Ross and the supremes ---the song "Where did our love go
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Ohio    "Four Dead In....."       by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young     "What if you knew her...."

.....because I did know her......Allison Krause.....R.I.P......shot at Kent State University on May 4th, 1970 in Ohio

Merely OneTokeOTL
Kudos
Views

Yesterday, by the Beatles. Even at 13 I could relate.

Aquarious

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Drift Away by Dobie Gray. We got married at a Justice of Peace and that song was playing on the radio when we got married 40 years ago. Didn't have a choice in the music selection and we were in a hurry because the law was after us for being minors and over the state line! Our families settled down and accepted the fact we just wanted to be together.
0 Kudos

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Regular Contributor

There are too many to mention. Oldies from the late fifties to the early seventies bring back memories to me. One that especially stands out is Sherry by the Four Seasons. That was a song that was popular in 1962 or 1963, the first time I can remember hanging out and cruising with friends. Gas was about $.30 a gallon. Yea Baby! Ride all night.
0 Kudos

In Response to What Song brings back memories:
What s

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

ong evokes the strongest memories for you
Posted by AARPGuide

Contributor

MEMORIES by Streisand  and THOSE WERE THE DAYS
0 Kudos

SOME ENCHANTED EVENING FROM THE PLAY SOUTH PACIFIC
0 Kudos

The Beatles.  ANYTHING, Beatles!
0 Kudos

The Beatles.  ANYTHING, Beatles.
0 Kudos

In the Still of the Night - The 5 Satins?
0 Kudos

#1:  "Hey Jude" while taking my girlfriend back to KU in Lawrence Kansas.

#2   "Moondance" always with my most recent girlfriend.

Very fond memories of both.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

I was a child of the '70s so quite a bit of stuff from that decade.  I was a "disco hater" but several years ago, I was in Las Vegas and saw a disco revue.  I found myself singing along with most of the songs and moving my feet to the groovy disco beat Cool.  I recently re-watched the movie "Dazed and Confused".  That was high school for me.  The soundtrack definitely took me back in time.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

What song evokes the strongest memories for you
Posted by AARPGuide

Remember When by Alan Jackson definitely brings back memories to my wife and  I.. our second choice would be "How do I live without you" by LeAn Rimes
0 Kudos

"Dizzy" by Tommy Roe
That song was playing when I got my first "forreal" kiss that actually curled my toes. LOL! I don't hear that song as much as you hear a lot of other oldies, but when I do you can bet I fondly remember that kiss and that boy !

0 Kudos
Contributor

Posted by louisie

I love that old trivia info. 
Did you know that Quest Love's (band The Roots) dad is Lee Andrews of the Philadelphia group Lee Andrews and the Hearts?
0 Kudos

Like so many of us, our music is the marker of memories! I was born in 1950, and from there, there is so much music that I've heard, and so many "favorites" that it would be hard to list them all or in part. And so many are personal and meanless to others. But like everyone else there are the few that shine in my memories and envoke some strong emotions of the days of my life. But like most, there's always one or two that stick or stand out. The one I think of most is a song that I heard in a little 3.2 bar where me and my best friends gathered to discuss the day and events in our sleepy little town. The singers name was Mary Hopkins, who was given a chance to try for fame by Paul McCartney, then of The Beatles, and the song was "Those Were The Days". And it fits so well as the captain of favorites, because of the time and that sleepy litle bar and the friends then. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance forever and a day. We'd live the life we choose, we'd fight and never lose. Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days!" Ah, where are the dreams and innocence of those days!
Posted by flatlander137

Mary McGovern sang that in the film Poseidon Adventure and it was beautiful.
0 Kudos

I was born in 1951 so I grew up in the '60s,what a time for music!  The Beatles, Chad and Jeremy, Peter and Gordon, the Dave Clark Five - yes I was greatly affected by the British Invasion!  "There are Places in my Life" by The Beatles will always bring tears!

Anything by The Beatles!
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

"Stairway to Heaven". Wow: http://youtu.be/mf2O3OAQjng
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

A while back I started a project. I have created a list of songs that I like and have affected me in some way. I now have 10 gigs of music and it is growing. I have so many that are important to me, they may cause me to remember a moment, a person, or a time in space. One I really like, among thousands, is Ripple by the Grateful Dead. The band that has the most memories for me is The Beatles. I am not sure they did a bad song. My problem is that my life has had such a great soundtrack. I was born in 54 and so much good music has and is still being done. An old song that means more today is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg   
Posted by LoganSmith

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I'm transferring my music from my media player into iTunes and I have 10 gigs and I'm only in the "F's"!
John P Capizola Sr
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Like so many of us, our music is the marker of memories! I was born in 1950, and from there, there is so much music that I've heard, and so many "favorites" that it would be hard to list them all or in part. And so many are personal and meanless to others. But like everyone else there are the few that shine in my memories and envoke some strong emotions of the days of my life. But like most, there's always one or two that stick or stand out. The one I think of most is a song that I heard in a little 3.2 bar where me and my best friends gathered to discuss the day and events in our sleepy little town. The singers name was Mary Hopkins, who was given a chance to try for fame by Paul McCartney, then of The Beatles, and the song was "Those Were The Days". And it fits so well as the captain of favorites, because of the time and that sleepy litle bar and the friends then.

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance forever and a day.
We'd live the life we choose, we'd fight and never lose. Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days!"

Ah, where are the dreams and innocence of those days!
Update: Walk down town where that bar use to be years ago, and sadly it's not a bar any more!! But the building still stands, though it's an office now. It made me a little sad but again the song I refered to above came back again in sweet memory and I found I can accept it as things do change. I hold those memories and the friends of then and think"it was a grand time and I was fortunare to have it and them. Yes, "Those were the days my friend"!!
Contributor

The Beatles, "We Can Work It Out" after a breakup when I was a senior in high school.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I already posted one. But last night I listened to another that brings back memories. Hotel California by The Eagles. But not the original version, the one found on the "Hell Freezes Over" CD. It was good to see The Eagles back together again!
John P Capizola Sr
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP