Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Moderator

What Song brings back memories

What song evokes the strongest memories for you Smile

I've often said that Simon and Garfunkel wrote the sound track of my life.
0 Kudos

In Response to Re: What Song brings back memories:
It is "I can't help falling in Love with you" by Elvis.  it was the first song my husband and I danced to.  We then danced to it on our wedding nite in March of 1977 and then Elvis died  that August.  My husband passed away 6 years ago this month and every time I hear that song I can still see us dancing and reliving the memories we made that nite.  
Posted by mehot

That was a love song to beat them all. I loved Elvis and danced to this many times at Hardeggers  in Madison Lake ,MN
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

In Response to Re: What Song brings back memories : I am not sure how funny this is, but.........     Warning, this will get into your head, and stay there! Julie Andrews Turning 79 - To commemorate her birthday , actress/vocalist, Julie Andrews made a special appearance at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall for the benefit of the AARP. One of the musical numbers she performed was 'My Favorite Things' from the legendary movie 'Sound Of Music'. Here are the lyrics she used: (Sing It!) - If you sing it, its especially hysterical!!! Botox and nose drops and needles for knitting, Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings, Bundles of magazines tied up in string, These are a few of my favorite things. Cadillacs and cataracts, hearing aids and glasses, Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses, Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings, These are a few of my favorite things. When the pipes leak, When the bones creak, When the knees go bad, I simply remember my favorite things, And then I don't feel so bad. Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions, No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions, Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring, These are a few of my favorite things. Back pain, confused brains and no need for sinnin', Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin', And we won't mention our short shrunken frames, When we remember our favorite things. When the joints ache, When the hips break, When the eyes grow dim, Then I remember the great life I've had, And then I don't feel so bad. />>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>> (Ms. Andrews received a standing ovation from the crowd -That lasted over four minutes and repeated encores.
Posted by BettyCM

this was so funny, I laughed out loud! gloria
0 Kudos

Ah shucks, you guys, I go waaaay back... to 1945.  "Twilight Time" by the Three Suns. It was the theme song for late night music program.  I was 15 and the world was just opening up to me.  I have the 78 rpm in its sleeve in my cedar chest, and I found it on the internet, so I can still listen.  Remembering, remembering....
Honored Social Butterfly

I remember the Three Suns, I was 10 in 1945, had alot of 78's, I still have

several, packed away, also 45's and many vinyl, which you can buy once again.

Honored Social Butterfly

@mp8908 wrote:

THE THREE SUNS!!  I have not thought of The Three Suns for decades - thanks so much for bringing back great memories of how we listened to them in our household - my dad was a fan, so I became a fan too!  (I am so sure I remember having several Three Suns 45s, but I just did an internet search & it appears they did mostly 78's & then some LPs?)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@mp8908 wrote:

None of my old records survived my many moves  LOL  amazing that people want vinyl again!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

(I Can't Get No)  Satisfaction   The Rolling Stones

I remember listening to this thinking  did he just say what I thought he said  : )

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Manhattan Tower

When I was in high school Georgia Tech had their own radio station. During the day it was the usual โ€œTop 40โ€ type format but after about 11:00 at night it changed to a jazz format and sometimes classical and show tunes. I think the DJโ€™s were students and could play whatever they wished. Of course I was supposed to be asleep before this time, but most of the time I went to sleep while listening to the music.

One night I heard what I would call a symphony that I had never heard before and I thought it was one of the more beautiful things I had ever heard. It was instrumental with dialog. I didnโ€™t catch the name of it but after that I tried to listen every night in hopes of hearing it again and I finally did.  I learned it was called โ€œManhattan Towerโ€ by Gordon Jenkins. They played it several times and then I never heard it again. In those days there was no YouTube. I would have loved that.

About ten years later I was married and my in-laws were living in Baltimore. My husband and I went up to visit them for a week, during which my father-in-law took us to New York City for the day. A couple of days later my husband and I decided to drive back and see more of the city. While there, looking at all the tall buildings I thought about that symphony and I decided that was what I wanted as a souvenir of my day in the city. It didnโ€™t seem as though that would be something unusual.

I donโ€™t know how many record stores I visited that day and was surprised that none of them had ever even heard of something called โ€œManhattan Towerโ€. I was about to give up when I spotted a used record store. It was a junky looking place, the kind I would have been fearful of entering if I had been alone, but thatโ€™s where I found my precious album.

I still have the album but itโ€™s been a long time since Iโ€™ve heard it. I listened to it today on-line and was immediately transported to the bedroom of that 15-year old and to my tour of the record stores of New York ten years later. What I found on line was the original 1946 version which was on 78-rpm and brought back its own set of memories while waiting for one record to replace the last. Mine was a later version and the reproduction was not that great on what I listened to. But that resembled the sound of that radio beside my bed turned down low where nobody in the house could hear it.

If you have never heard this, there are several versions on YouTube. It takes about 20 minutes but well worth the trip.

ใ€€

Honored Social Butterfly

@PattyDiane wrote:

Manhattan Tower

If you have never heard this, there are several versions on YouTube. It takes about 20 minutes but well worth the trip.

omg Patty

I have never heard this and it is absolutely wonderful!!  thank you so much for sharing this

http://youtu.be/g1i2_aHUJ58

0 Kudos

It is "I can't help falling in Love with you" by Elvis.  it was the first song my husband and I danced to.  We then danced to it on our wedding nite in March of 1977 and then Elvis died  that August.  My husband passed away 6 years ago this month and every time I hear that song I can still see us dancing and reliving the memories we made that nite.  
0 Kudos

"Fascination"... or" Twilight Time"   MJ
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hitching a Ride brings back memories and anytime I hear the Letter by Colin Raye.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

All I Have To Do Is (Dream) by the Everly Brothers   It was very special to me in the 50's and it helped me later in life to get thru some hard times.
But the all time love song has to be "Unchained Melody" it's earie!
Periodic Contributor

Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple. I couldn't walk into a club way back then without the house band playing it!
John P Capizola Sr
0 Kudos

SOUNDS OF SILENCE

0 Kudos

In Response to What Song brings back memories:
What song evokes the strongest memories for you
Posted by AARPGuide

Donna Summer's Love To Love You Baby
0 Kudos

Hey Jude...The Beatles
 I had been a WW11 evacuee from the UK to Sydney, Australia from 1940-1945 .I had to return to my parents as I was only 12 years old at the end of the war.  I never settled down in the UK and longed to return to Australia. My late husband just wouldn't listen....until 1968 ....he then said " let's go"   So ended my yearly trip to Australia House in Manchester, where I would watch others going for their Interviews, wishing it was my family.    I'd read The Sydney Morning Herald and The Australian Women's Weekly and dream of my favourite beach and bush walks.
   So we set sail for Sydney in September "68 .  After 5 weeks aboard,  late  one night a buzz went round the ship...." look at the lights....look at the lights'   Sure enough, as we sailed across the Indian Ocean..... there were the lights of Freemantle, West Australia. The tune that I will always associate with the thrill of seeing those lights was  " Hey Jude." It was playing over the loudspeaker thruout the ship.
My son Peter, whose funeral was only yesterday,  said to me only 2 weeks ago" Remember that night Mum, remember the tune ? You were just so happy then"  We had never spoken of it thru' all these years, I was amazed he knew and as I looked at the date, I realised it was just 45years since we arrived here. The Beatles were always  his favourites.

sweet carolyn by neal diamond
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

"I'll Be Seeing You"
Periodic Contributor

Every time I hear this song, I think of my late wife and my eyes tear-up.

"Sweet Caroline"  ..brings back all the emotions of youth. Move back from Cinninati  to Louisville because my fiance was being drafted into the Army at Fort Knox.. I was full of hope and happy. We were driving down the freeway and Sweet Caroline came on the radio. By Brothers (4 of them) were in the service. 2 Marines, 1 Army, 1 National guard. Proud of our boys being in the service not aware of the ugliness that would sweep over the country and our youth because of the war. That was the last moments of  "what you don't know won't hurt you" I have every had.

0 Kudos

"Wildflower" by New Birth
"Our Love" by Natalie Cole
"Here And Now" by Luther Vandross

0 Kudos

The times they are a changing by Peter, Paul and Mary
Since I was kid then Puff the Magic Dragon buy Peter, Paul and Mary
0 Kudos

White sport coat& a pink carnation -Marty Robbins
All I have to do is dream - Everley Brothers
Ebb Tide & You've lost that loving feeling - Righteous Brothers
My prayer- The Platters
I was born in 1942, so I have been fortunate enough to hear many wonderful songs & I love it when I hear a song & the memories flood back!
Wind beneath my Wings & The Rose - Bette Midler
One Moment in Time & The Greatest Love of All - Whitney Houston
Man in The Mirror & We Are the World - Michael Jackson / All the other wonderful artists on the latter
These songs and many others make my heart sing & my eyes cry. Wonderful!!!
0 Kudos

In Response to What Song brings back memories:
What song evokes the strongest memories for you
Posted by AARPGuide

Mungo Jerry "Summer in the City"
Janis Joplin "Summer Time"

The diversity of the music in those days precludes any definitive answer, but I always have an affinity for "Crazy" (Patsy Cline version), which I assume led Ross Perot to use it so much in his campaign years later.   Go to soul music and it opens up hundreds of possibilities.  Psychedelic offers a lot of alternative sounds.  Folk provides a whole different group of fabulous memories.  If you didn't live through the times, you have no idea what I am talking about. Rock & Roll, R&B,  movie themes, surf music, protest songs, instrumentals, even what was then called "Country & Western".  On and on...
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

When I hear certain songs that were important to various family members, it makes me think of them. It is rather bittersweet, as most are no longer here. 

Here is my list:

Fly Me to the Moon, Stardust, Theme From A Summer Place, The Song to Moulin Rouge (Where is Your Heart).
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

In Response to What Song brings back memories : Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb
Posted by cajunbaby12

Amen!!
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Good Times  -   These -are - the - good - times......   -can't remember who did it;  brings back great memories!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP