Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?

A PLACE TO SHARE YOUR FAVORITE SONGS AND VIDEO'S ...

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?   AN OLD OLD SONG BY YOUR FAVORITE BAND OR SOMETHING NEW YOU JUST HEARD...  YOUR IPOD CATALOG OF FAVORITES OR YOUR FAVORITE CD BY YOUR FAVORITE BAND..   WHATEVER IT IS,  STOP BY AND SHARE IT HERE, WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Super Contributor

In Response to RE: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? by glendaann

Hi Glendaann,

We try to see as many as we can but money is always a factor.  I would have loved to have seen a lot more people this year but the tickets were way too expensive.  It's nice that these venues have $25 and $10 concerts.  Some of the acts are fairly well known and some are just getting started but it's a nice affordable night out and who knows one of the acts may someday become major stars and I can say I knew them when. lol

Sorry you didn't get to see Susan but you may get another opportunity one day.  I will check out the Austin City Limits video.  I must have missed that one.  I have my DVR set to record all the new shows.

Sounds like you found the Johnny Winter book interesting and informative.  Let me know what you think of the EC book after you've read it.

Never heard of John Nemeth but always willing to listen to someone new.  I'll definitely give him a listen.

Janese

0 Kudos

Oh yeah. My daughter got 3 tickets for Carrie Underwood who will be here in Oct. I know Carrie Underwood's name and thats it other than she's country. Is it possible I'm the only person in the U.S. who has never seen American Idol? Daughter told me I AM going! 😉

0 Kudos

In Response to RE: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? by bonjovi

Hey there Janese.....Wow, you get to go see a lot more people than I do. I did get to "hear" Susan T. She was playing an outdoor festival here and we had parked and were walking up. The closer we got the better I could hear the music wondering who was doing that wonderful singing. I wanted to run, but my man wouldn't so she was leaving the stage just as we got within viewing range. Lucky you! 

I received the Johnny Winter book and have already read it. It explained a lot about gaps in his career and why he wasn't promoted better. I've always been a "hard core" Johnny fan so thoroughly enjoyed the book. The E.C. book is next on my list.

I'm familiar with Drive By Truckers from their appearance on Austin City Limits and ironically Ryan Bingham (Crazy Heart-The Weary Kind) who I'm now into was on the same show. Full length video of the entire show is available on PBS.org./video, then under Programs, Austin City Limits.

Keep letting us know who you go to see. If I can't go, I like to hear who others are getting out to see. If John Nemeth comes your way and you like R&B try to catch him. He's another young excellent singer and harp player ....not coming to Okla.

glenda

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Glendaann,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  Haven't been on here much in the past couple weeks.  Thanks for all the trivia facts on Johnny Winter.  Very interesting.

I've seen Susan Tedeschi on her own at the Jimi Hendrix Experienced concert and I've seen her husband Derek Trucks in concert as well.  I've yet to see them together but hope to one day.

We are going to see the Drive By Truckers on the 1st of October and on the 16th a blues band from the area called Siegall-Schwall Band.  They are very well known in Milwaukee and Chicago.  On the 13th of November we will see Dawes.  They are a young band from California and were the opening act for Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros (also from California) whom I first saw on the David Letterman show.  They came to Milwaukee and sold out the theater.  We liked the opening act too and when I found out they were coming back but as an opener I had to get tickets.  The venue they are playing at is very intimate and the tickets are only $10.00.  We have two places here that have $10.00 and $25.00 concerts on occasion. 

Thanks for telling me about the book on Johnny Winter.  I will have to keep my eye out for that one.

Janese

0 Kudos

I just added the app Pandora to my iPod touch and wow!! so much music. I even found  Mike Hucknall song, "Father up the road" I love how here did his version and I also like Bobby Blue Bland, I love blues and R & B, Most of all  Gospel. I also added Pandora to my computer so I can listen while i'm on line. Elenne

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

That sounds good.

I am listening to a bunch of California songs;  Mamas and Papas and others.  I am thinking about my trip and wishing I was just leaving : )

The Mamas & The Papas - California dreamin
3 min - Jun 27, 2008
Uploaded by blueraymond

youtube.com

Led Zeppelin-Going To California
5 min - Aug 3, 2009
Uploaded by xxmusicheadxx

youtube.com
Diane

0 Kudos

It's a Delbert McClinton Afternoon--Nothin Personal

0 Kudos

In Response to RE: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? by mhermanson49

I'll check him out. After watching the movie Crazy Heart I got into Ryan Bingham who wrote the theme song. I guess technically he's country too, but I don't care.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Of the new bands, I like the Zac Brown Band.  I suppose technically they are country, but they got a good country rock type of sound.

0 Kudos

Bruce Willis-Devil Woman

Wouldn't buy his CDs but  entertaining youtube videos, good singer and plays harp.

0 Kudos

Haven't read E.C.s book but will put it on my list. I still love him too. Fav Sean Costello song is Don't Pass Me By which he wrote. And now Susan Tedeschi married to Derek Trucks another great young one. Would love to see them do a show together but will settle for youtube.

Today is a Johnny Winter day, the album Johnny Winter from 1969.  The guitar solo on Be Careful With A Fool is one of my all time favorites. And a vocal lick on Drown In My Own Tears still makes me shiver. I feel about him as you do about BonJovi.

Quick Trivia again. Johnny Winter was in Tulsa at the famous Cain's Ballroom (Wikipedia) in the late 90's-again. Although sick, I was going again anyway despite having to stand outside in line in the cold, rainy weather. Knowing I was sick, my sis who was living in MS at the time but still had connections with Cain's management called them and made arrangements for me to be let in early through the bus. office door. We quickly went to the front to secure seats, as seating was "get one if you can",  and Johnny's roadie came out and started talking to us as we were the only ones in there. When the doors finally opened a girl came rushing up and asked the roadie if Johnny was going to sing a certain song. He told her he didn't know, she would need to ask Johnny's road manager, and with a grin pointed at me, then walked away. She started asking me all kinds of personal Johnny questions before she realized she'd been "had".

The roadie came out and sat with us for awhile during the show and had a laugh over the situation he had left me in.

A book has finally been written about Johnny entitled Raisin Cain in which he is supposed to be very candid about his life. I've ordered it, and it should be here Tues. Bet it's "colorful". Can't wait.

glenda

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks Glendaann.  Loved the picture of the youth before and after rock.  Too funny.  Eric got in a lot of trouble back in the day.  I read his book and it was pretty disgusting some of the things he did.  Still love his music though and glad he's cleaned up his act.

I checked out Sean Costello.  Saw a youtube video of him doing "You Wear It Well."  Very good.  I have the Susan Tedeschi CD "Just Won't Burn" which includes him and his band.  Another artist that left way too soon.

Janese

0 Kudos

Hey, good for you. It's too bad he couldn't get Leon Russell on it too.

Bit of trivia..back in the day when Clapton was hanging in Tulsa, our police dept. arrested him and threw him in jail. Wonder how much he loves Tulsa now? However he was here at the BOK center earlier this year.

http://tulsatvmemories.com/rocknock.html

E.C. in Tulsa jail

Also a before and after pic of Leon

You can copy and paste if you want to have a look.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks Glendaann.  I'll check it out.  Here's what I'm listening to:

Jamie Oldaker's Mad Dogs & Okies

Song list:

1. Wait Till Your Daddy Comes Home  Vince Gill

2. Positively   Eric Clapton

3. Don't Let Your Feet Git Cold  Taj Mahal

4. Sympathy For A Train  Willis Alan Ramsey

5. Promises  Zadig & Marcella

6. Magnolia   Tony Joe White

7. Make Your Move (Album Version)    Bonnie Bramlett

8. Shotgun Shack    Wiley Hunt

9. Sending Me Angels        Peter Frampton

10. Time To Boogie    Ray Benson

11. Can't Find My Way Home     Steve Pryor

12. Stagger Lee     Taj Mahal

13. Daylight     J.J. Cale

14. Song For You     Ellen Feltsky

15. Motormouth       Willie Nelson

16. Make Your Move ((Revisited) Album Version)       Bonnie Bramlett

Great CD with a great variety of artists.

Janese

0 Kudos

In Response to RE: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? by bonjov

Sean Costello

Another young talent lost.

www.seancostellofund.org

If you like R&B his site plays full length songs randomly from various CDs.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

In Response to RE: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? by nyadrn

It's very good.  I'm sure you'll like it.

J.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Oh hey,  I remember she introduced the first song from that CD on The Apprentice  TV show. 

Must admit I have not listened to it since.  I will have to give it a listen.  Thanks J

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I was but by the end of the song I was getting tired.  Of course, it was near the end of the night too.

Now listening to my new CD by Cyndi Lauper called:

MEMPHIS BLUES

It's great.  She's joined by Allen Touissant, BB King, Jonny Lang and others.  Love it!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes indeed-ee   you looked like you were having fun!  : )

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Will definitely have to be more careful. LOL

Had a great time though as you can probably tell.

J.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I did have a great time though I didn't feel to hot the next morning.  Didn't last long though and I was back to my old self. LOL

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hey you ...  how cool is that : )

just goes to show you never know when you might find yourself  caught on cameras LOL    good for you!

0 Kudos

Well how totally cool. No need to ask if you had a good time. 😉

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Well, due to the weather we didn't go to the zoo to see the Gin Blossoms but I did go out with my girlfriend Kelly on Sat. night and OMG now I'm on youtube.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZPh3Izhnaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZPh3Izhnaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to RE: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? by karancrews

Hi

All great songs.. my favorite is Someone to Watch over Me.  It is kind of amazing to see him do these as in my mind he will forever be that young guy singing those wild beach songs.  : )   Thanks for sharing.

Diane

0 Kudos

They can't take that away from me, Someone to watch over me, and I've got a crush on you.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to RE: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? by karancrews

Hi

I have not listened to this..  thanks for mentioning it.. what are your favorite songs?

The Like In I Love You - Brian Wilson
3 min - Jun 29, 2010
Uploaded by batman444

www.youtube.com

0 Kudos

Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin, His best cd in a long time

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to RE: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO? by geekGoddess1

Hi and thanks for stopping by to share : )  What did they perform?

Here is 100 Days 100 Nights  and Tell Me..

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - 100 Days
4 min - Dec 3, 2008
Uploaded by 893TheCurrent

www.youtube.com

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings "Tell Me"
3 min - Feb 5, 2008
Uploaded by DaptoneRecords

www.youtube.com

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

David Letterman had Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings on one night. I had never heard of them before. They were great so I bought a CD. They really are great.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP