Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?

A PLACE TO SHARE YOUR FAVORITE SONGS AND VIDEO'S ...

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?   AN OLD OLD SONG BY YOUR FAVORITE BAND OR SOMETHING NEW YOU JUST HEARD...  YOUR IPOD CATALOG OF FAVORITES OR YOUR FAVORITE CD BY YOUR FAVORITE BAND..   WHATEVER IT IS,  STOP BY AND SHARE IT HERE, WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

Jevetta Steele  I Am Calling You     this is an incredible performance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCLpLWcX2cg

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@gatorgorilla wrote:

This evening, as I bleed orange and blue, I will gladly listen to any number of songs, but I don't want to hear "Rocky Top" or any song that mentions Tennessee!  And with our long streak of wins against Tennessee broken, I don't want to hear "The Streak" either!  Smiley Frustrated

I don't know what this is about (sports?), but it sounds like you want some quiet time. There is a perfect song for that, but it mentions Tennessee; how ironic. For the lack of knowing what this is about, I don't know what to recommend. But just in case you can overlook that this came from a "Tennessee boy", I'd still recommend "Noise" by Kenny Chesney. This "noise" might just give you the peace (& quiet) you're looking for; how double ironic.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@dl73698250  I'm not a big Kenny Chesney fan but I did give a listen to "Noise" & I like it.  Thanks for suggesting it.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@dl73698250 wrote:
I don't know what this is about (sports?), but it sounds like you want some quiet time. There is a perfect song for that, but it mentions Tennessee; how ironic. For the lack of knowing what this is about, I don't know what to recommend. But just in case you can overlook that this came from a "Tennessee boy", I'd still recommend "Noise" by Kenny Chesney. This "noise" might just give you the peace (& quiet) you're looking for; how double ironic.

@dl73698250   Thanks for your reply & perception of need for quiet.  Smiley Happy

Yes, I was referencing sports - I'm a University of Florida Gator & UF football team took a loss to Tennessee today.  UF colors are orange & blue.  UF had an 11 game streak of wins over Tennessee, but that's all history now.  I was mostly letting off steam when I made the post, as I had watched game & heard "Rocky Top" played loudly and relentlessly!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Fire  It  Up   ==   Black  Label  Society

Contributor

Home Free - Die a Happy ManHome Free 6.jpg

Pennylover59
Regular Social Butterfly

@sm93458564 wrote:

Home Free - Die a Happy ManHome Free 6.jpg

I thought Thomas Rhett did that song. Is this a different song, or am I wrong?

Regular Social Butterfly

I was  reminded of a forgotten song from the 70's. After checking out the song "Little Red Riding Hood" by Amanda Seyfried, I started thinking about other unusual song/mood combonations. And I just have to suggest a song about a wistful longing for an elusive love that doesn't want to be  reluctantly abandoned. "Young Hearts Run Free" by Candi Staton.

Honored Social Butterfly

True        Spandau Ballet

Honored Social Butterfly

Ball  And  Chain   ==   Social  Distortion

Regular Contributor

Anything by Porcupine Tree. Great, creative band and music. Stephen Wilson is a musical genius.

Honored Social Butterfly

@RonL51  Welcome and thanks for sharing   

Porcupine Tree   Sleep Together

https://youtu.be/kpw7cBBrSA4

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Never thought I would find another AARP Porcupine Tree fan!

Honored Social Butterfly

@RonL51 wrote:

Never thought I would find another AARP Porcupine Tree fan!

So what other music do you like?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Faithfully       Journey

Regular Social Butterfly

I hate to say what I'm listening to. There's not enough space or time to give justice to them all. But one thing I would like to say is that identifying Donovan by the song "Mellow Yellow" is like identifying the Beatles by the song "Yellow Submarine". It's a mistake.

Regular Contributor

I love contemporary Christian music - David Crowder is my current favorite - but also listen to rock oldies some of the time.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

At the moment, I am not listening to any music.  I'm watching the ballgame, but I will hear some music when the beer commercial comes on between innings.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Something's wrong here! If you're watching the game, then who made this post? You're not a closet music lover are you?

Contributor

I like all Christian music, My Bridge Radio has uplifting music and praises all day and all night

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I don't know how anybody can like ALL of anything except "types". All types (genres) have good and bad. No type has all hits and no duds. I like Christian music too, but even that "type" has has sub-genres. There's also all the secular genres (rock, blues, country, etc.) within that "type". However I can't say that there's a gospel genre within the secular type. And if you can like ALL Christian music, then what's stopping you from like SOME secular music? And if you can like some secular music then why do you exclude it from what music you DO like? Is there something else that you're trying to say here? Is this really not about music at all, but rather something else?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Donna Summer of course!! Smiley Indifferent

Contributor

Wow - Where to begin? For music in any form has been such a large part of my life and defines certain periods and moments in time. Music for me is like the sense of smell that opens up a carcophony of memories...

I'm part of the so called "Baby Boomer Generation" - and yes, we're of that age now (you know, the older ones who seemed oh so out of touch and strange). I feel blessed to have grown up in at a point in time where both technology and music evolved dramatically. I'm 58 years old and have been retired for two years, which gives me plenty of time to devote to my passion of music! 

My earlies recollection's are of listening and ENJOYING the music of the Beatles, specifically Sgt. Peppers. LA Woman by the Doors brings back memories from 1971 while living in Palo Alto. Elton Johns Yellow Brick Road. From Classical to Jazz, 80's New Wave, Adult Alt, Classic Rock...You could say that I have a wide spectrum of musical tastes.

So here's a short list, followed by what I'm listening to today on my Itunes Playlist - 6 Second Love by Whitney Woerz - my latest. 

Beautiful Friction - The Fixx

Los Angeles - Sugarcult

All Over The World - ELO

Kiss And Tell - Brian Ferry

Rain In The Sumertime -The Alarm

Spooky - ARS

Getting Away With It - Electronic

Let's Dance - David Bowie

If I Could - Seal

Soul Cages - Sting

Joshua Tree - U2

Walk On The Ocean - Toad The Wet Sprocket

Midnight City - M83

The Hurting - Tears For Fears

Crash Test Dummies

Fastball

Michael Franti

Taylor Swift

Stevie Ray Vaugn

Whitney Woerz

Honored Social Butterfly

alanrobinson wrote:

Wow - Where to begin? For music in any form has been such a large part of my life and defines certain periods and moments in time. Music for me is like the sense of smell that opens up a carcophony of memories...

I'm part of the so called "Baby Boomer Generation" - and yes, we're of that age now (you know, the older ones who seemed oh so out of touch and strange). I feel blessed to have grown up in at a point in time where both technology and music evolved dramatically. I'm 58 years old and have been retired for two years, which gives me plenty of time to devote to my passion of music! 

My earlies recollection's are of listening and ENJOYING the music of the Beatles, specifically Sgt. Peppers. LA Woman by the Doors brings back memories from 1971 while living in Palo Alto. Elton Johns Yellow Brick Road. From Classical to Jazz, 80's New Wave, Adult Alt, Classic Rock...You could say that I have a wide spectrum of musical tastes.

So here's a short list, followed by what I'm listening to today on my Itunes Playlist - 6 Second Love by Whitney Woerz - my latest. 

Beautiful Friction - The Fixx

Los Angeles - Sugarcult

All Over The World - ELO

Kiss And Tell - Brian Ferry

Rain In The Sumertime -The Alarm

Spooky - ARS

Getting Away With It - Electronic

Let's Dance - David Bowie

If I Could - Seal

Soul Cages - Sting

Joshua Tree - U2

Walk On The Ocean - Toad The Wet Sprocket

Midnight City - M83

The Hurting - Tears For Fears

Crash Test Dummies

Fastball

Michael Franti

Taylor Swift

Stevie Ray Vaugn

Whitney Woerz

Thanks for taking the time to post your list and comments.  I agree that different music is part of different times of our lives.  Some of it stays and some comes and goes but none really ever goes away.  I still enjoy all of it!!

Regular Social Butterfly

I'm  a baby-boomer too, And i don't recognize most of your list. Some artists but not the songs. As far as "Spooky" by the Atlanta Rhythm Section goes, Did you know that the Atlanta Rhythm Section used to be the Classics IV and they did a better version of Spooky as the Classics IV? Check it out. Maybe one of these days i'll check out those other songs on your list. I like Spooky too; Do you remember a band called Spooky Tooth? I don't remember what they did but I do remember the name. Have a nice one.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

95% classical, 5% folk.  I inherited a vast collection of over 5000 LPs from someone who was an extreme musicologist.  (He wrote the program notes for many symphony orchestras for extra income.)  Nearly 500 of the records had never been played.  In fact, they are still sealed in the original cellophane sleeves.  The rest are in pristine condition having been played only once.  I'm gradually working my way through the whole collection, but it will be impossible for me to live long enough to ever listen to all of them.  I have no particular favorite; it would be like choosing a favorite child.  Many of the better known classics are duplicates.  For example, there are at least 14 different interpretations of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony by different conductors and orchestras.  I once spent a whole day trying to decide which one I liked best, and it's amazing how different they are from each other.

Regular Social Butterfly

I know what you mean. But one thing I don't like about classical music is reflected by what one composer said: You need to insert a "wake-up" measure every once in awhile to keep the audience awake. These types of gimmicks tend to disrupt the flow of the music. One time you're straining to hear it, and the next you're getting your ears blown out. Some contemporary music does that too. I wish they'd stop it. The musical piece is not intended to be a test of the audio equipment. there are plenty of compositions that do it better; we don't need another one. But one classical piece that gets overlooked a lot and is underrated is "Bolero" by Ravel.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Though I don't usually listen to much country music, I recently rediscovered Gary Morris and his hit albums from the 80's: Why Lady Why, Greatest Hits Vol. 2, and Plain Brown Wrapper. These were all ones I had on cassette tapes, so updated to the digital versions and listening to them all again.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Social Butterfly

Who's Gary Morris? Is "Why Lady Why" the same song  that Alabama did? Is Gary Morris from Alabama (the group)?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@dl73698250 wrote:

Who's Gary Morris? Is "Why Lady Why" the same song  that Alabama did? Is Gary Morris from Alabama (the group)?

Hi @dl73698250 - Gary Morris had a lot of progressive-country hits in the mid-80's. He is not connected with the group Alabama. In fact, he is from my home state of Texas. He went on to Broadway to star as Jean Valjean in Les Miserables, and the theatrical version of La Boheme with Linda Rondstadt. In recent years he recorded several gospel/Christian music albums. 

Why Lady Why is not the same as the Alabama song. He wrote this one with Eddie Setser, and wrote many songs that he recorded in collaboration with other songwriters. Other hits include Wind Beneath My Wings, The Love She Found In Me, Velvet Chains, Don't Look Back, and many more, plus two duets with Chrystal Gayle - Makin' Up for Lost Time and Another World.

Short bio here on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/gary-morris/id605935

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP