Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Silver Conversationalist

Video Killed The Radio Star!

There are some really good videos out there and so many I remember from the early days of MTV. MTV began while I was in the Navy, stationed in the Philippines.So it was quite a nice surprise to find out about when I arrived back stateside. Anyway, if you have a favorite video of a song or something music related but hopefully entertaining, let's make this a place to share those kinds of memories. Please, let's keep this lively and not have videos that show only album covers or badly filmed clips. I'm thinking that the 80's were Prime Time for music videos but I'm sure that I don't know everything. So, what do toy say, show us what you like and let us like it too! I've put what I believe was the very first clip played on MTV. The Buggles performing Video Killed The Radio Star, also the name of this section. Oh boy, this is gonna be fun!     (I hope! 🤞)    😉

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Honored Social Butterfly

In 1965, Saturday morning television programming introduced a lot of us little kids to rock 'n' roll via a cartoon called The Beatles.  Never mind that the characters were caricatured and voiced by actors; each episode included what the Monkees producers would later call a "romp," a montage of crazy slapstick accompanied by a Beatles song.  For many of us, the cartoon was the only parentally approved venue for rock music.  

You can see many of the cartoons on Youtube.

Honored Social Butterfly

And then, on Sept. 12, 1966, along came a TV series for the pre-fab generation, a half-hour comedy about four young friends struggling to get their rock & roll band off the ground. The Monkees pooled their resources and shared a beach house without adult supervision--subversive in and of itself, as Timothy Leary pointed out, but living lives more moral than those of any of the adults around them.

Each episode included one or two music videos, known as "romps," in which the editors played with every technical trick in the filmmaker's toolbox.  Many of the songs backing up the romps became hit singles.  The first episode ever aired, "Royal Flush" (which went on to win an Emmy), introduced the concept of the romp, and the first romp shown was for the song "This Just Doesn't Seem to be My Day."  For many of us, this was the beginning of music videos.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Ever have one of those days where you're . . . 

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of  -  U2

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Silver Conversationalist

Honored Social Butterfly

So this one is a little different . . . it's from the 1600's!  😉 😸

Once In A Million Years  -  Blackmore's Night

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Silver Conversationalist

I had no idea they made videos so long ago, amazing!

Social Butterfly

This video knocks me dead.

Bring Back Burlesque!

Thank you so much, covfefe, and good night!
-- Anna Kendrick
Silver Conversationalist

She’s a beauty, thanks!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Strange but I always liked this video. Once in a Lifetime-Talking Heads

Silver Conversationalist

I like it too, I'd say it's one of their best! Thanks, Buddy!

Honored Social Butterfly

"Rio" by Michael Nesmith, 1981

from "Elephant Parts," the first long-form video; first music video to win an Emmy

inspired MTV

from Wikipedia:  "Director Will Dear said they were 'doing music videos before people even knew what they were.'"

Silver Conversationalist

He really was a visionary. People didn't take him seriously though, I think, because of his involvement with The Monkees. Very nice, thanks for sharing it! I'd not known of it before now!

Honored Social Butterfly

Suspended in Gaffa:  Kate Bush

This is a song about our earthly separation from God.  It was filmed in 1982 (you can tell from the hairstyle 🙂 )

Silver Conversationalist

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Silver Conversationalist

Silver Conversationalist

The things I miss by not watching much TV. I thought this was unique and worth sahring.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP