Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Two and Three Hit Wonders

Two weeks ago I blogged on One Hit Wonders, and promised to try to rectify the wrongs done to artists on the list wrongfully accused. The most egregious offenses were against Blind Faith, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Simple Minds, and the Grateful Dead. Simple Minds “Alive And Kicking” provides the title of the playlist, as these bands didn’t roll over and play dead, but were very alive and kicking. Also included are the likes of Survivor, Shannon, General Public, A-ha, Dead Or Allive, Scandal, Cutting Crew, and even Tone-Loc.

These artists who often had 2 or 3 or more quality offerings inspired a follow-up playlist of bands who were Two and sometimes Three Hit Wonders. These bands were primarily known for 2 or 3 songs that were hugely successful, with a very significant drop-off in popularity of their other releases. Two Hit Wonder bands featured include Steppenwolf, Gerry Rafferty, 10cc, Orleans, The Motels, The Romantics, Golden Earring, Power Station, Naked Eyes, Mr. Mister, Crowded House, John Secada, Blues Traveler, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Dido, Five For Fighting, Neon Trees, Owl City and even LMFAO as well as many others.  Three Hit Wonder greats include The Zombies, The Spencer Davis Group, Argent, Kansas, Don McLean, Seals & Croft, Blue Oyster Cult, Steve Perry, Asia, A Flock Of Seagulls, UB40, Tears For Fears, Rick Astley, Spin Doctors, The Fray, Train, and Plain White T’s, among others.

The blog also highlights one of my favorite keyboardists, Steve Winwood. Steve started his career in his early teens backing on guitar and keyboards for the likes of Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin’ Wolf, B.B. King, Chuch Berry, and Bo Diddley. At the age of 14 he joined his first band The Spencer Davis Group, followed by the supergroup Blind Faith, then Traffic, then his solo work.

If you are fans of music of the ‘70s and ‘80s, I trust you will thoroughly enjoy the music, if not be frustrated by some of the songs not included. But that’s the great part about such playlists – they can be a springboard to inspire further listening of other songs, artists, and albums from the past. Rediscover the passion of music in your life. Live in the moment. Enjoy the moment. Love the moment. Listen to the Music!

https://listentothemusicblog.com/alive-and-kicking-1-2-3-not-just-one-hit-wonders/

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

As I replied to MaVolta, this list is different than true 1 hit wonders (which sometimes are a bit dubious as well - Blind Faith, Grateful Dead, Simple Minds, Frankie Goes To Hollywood - really?  This list was more to highlight bands some of whom only had 2 or 3 hits, and others who had 2 or 3 HUGE hits that overshadowed their other works.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There are some really good songs on both lists. Kudos for the Blind Faith correction, however, there are two more bands here that I have to disagree with.

Steppenwolf - (Really?) They had 13 songs on the Billboard 100 for yrs 67-70, 13 of which broke the top 40. In addition, they had 4 studio albums and 1 Live album that went Gold, plus their album Steppenwolf Gold that went Gold, and 16 Greatest Hits that went Plantinum. Estimated sales are over 25 million world wide. Not too shabby.

BOC - okay, they didn’t sell a lot of singles, and they only had 4 that made the Billboard 100. But they sold a lot of albums, 3 Gold and 1 Platinum. Estimated sales are around 24 million world wide. Not a bad showing for a non-pop rock band. (This would be true for a lot of the hard rock / metal bands who were out to sell albums more so than singles).

I’m a big fan of both, so there’s that! 😸

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Agree with both BOC and Steppenwolf in terms of having many hits, but I made the list in part to include songs that so defined a group the average listener knows little else.  Many would also disagree with Spencer Davis Group (hell, I do, lol!), Argent, Kansas, Tears For Fears, and more modern bands The Fray, Train, and Plain White T's.  But fortunately or unfortunately, they've had 3 mega-hits that overshadow other solid songs and hits.  Adds good songs to the playlist, if nothing else 😉 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Love these playlists! These were the best

times for me, music and otherwise. There

are a few I would add, all charted on the

US Billboard: 

I’m free, Jon Secada. This feel good song did

make it to #27 and stayed in the charts for 20

weeks. My fav song of his, played it to death!

Excitable Boy, Warren Zevon, #21, Album of

same name

Avalon, Roxy Music, #59

Song on the radio, Al Stewart, #29

Castles in the air, Don McLean, #36

Hummingbird, Seals&Crofts, #20

We may never pass this way again,

Seals&&Crofts, #21

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

As I replied to MaVolta, this list is different than true 1 hit wonders (which sometimes are a bit dubious as well - Blind Faith, Grateful Dead, Simple Minds, Frankie Goes To Hollywood - really?  This list was more to highlight bands some of whom only had 2 or 3 hits, and others who had 2 or 3 HUGE hits that overshadowed their other works.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP