Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

This Land Is Your Land - American Folk Music Celebration

Conversationalist

This Land Is Your Land - American Folk Music Celebration

The inspiration for this playlist was my neighbor, who casually commented on one of my blog posts that she only knew folk music.  As my “about me” blog entry states “I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music.  I see my life in terms of music.” (Albert Einstein), I of course thought what a great idea for a new playlist!

American folk music encompasses several musical genres.  Songs tend to be traditional, often sung for generations, many tracing root back to Great Britain, mainland Europe, or Africa.  Non-electrified instruments are the norm in folk music, including acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, upright bass, harmonica, and hand percussion.  It encompasses a wide array of musical traditions drawn from various populations and ethnic groups.  It includes several genres and themes, such as Appalachian music, bluegrass, railroad songs, protest songs, cowboy songs, and sea shanties.

Rising to popularity first in the 1930s thanks to the Carter Family, with songs such as “Will The Circle Be Unbroken.”  In the 1960s, folk music became a part of pop culture, with themes including the Civil Rights Movement as well as countercultural influences.  Artists vary from the 60’s standouts Pete Seeger, Woodie Guthrie, Joan Baez, Peter Paul & Mary to groups such as The Kingston Trio, The New Christy Minstrel, The Serendipity Singers, and The Seekers.  Then there were the 60’s folk, pop, rock greats, including Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, The Byrds, The Youngbloods, Crosby Stills & Nash.  The Singer-Songwriters of the 70’s and 80’s had folk, offerings from the likes of Cat Stevens, James Taylor, Carole King, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, Harry Chapin, Don McLean, Dan Fogelberg, and Tracy Chapman.  And the folk tradition is being carried on by some current artists, including Bruce Springsteen, The Old Crow Medicine Show, Nickel Creek, Dave Rawlings, Sean Rowe, and Gillian Welch.

https://listentothemusicblog.com/this-land-is-your-land-american-folk-music-celebration/

I hope that this music and my blog truly serve as a “revival: a new presentation of something old,” a springboard to return to the music of your youth, or perhaps to find artists you want to discover anew.  Rediscover the passion of music in your life.  Live in the moment.  Enjoy the moment.  Love the moment.  Listen to the MUSIC!

Honored Social Butterfly

Great playlist, great mix of tunes. My only

comment: I love “It ain’t me babe” but only

the Turtles do it justice 🎼💜

Conversationalist

Interesting version - very folk pop rock kinda vibe.  Thanks for directing me to it.  I like it.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

That’s a great playlist! I have always been a folk music fan. One of my favorite groups was The Kingston Trio. Among my favorites by them are…

Greenback Dollar

MTA

Tijuana Jail

Scotch And Soda

Tom Dooley 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Conversationalist

Thanks for the input.  Added the 1st two.  Playlist getting a bit unwieldy, lol.

Social Butterfly

Great playlist. I would add Big Bad John-Jimmy Dean

Conversationalist

Thanks.  Love this song - added.  It's on my tribute playlist to my dad (whose name was John) aptly called "Big Bad John" 😉 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP