Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Sultans of Swing - Saxophone & Horns in Rock & Pop Music

Conversationalist

Sultans of Swing - Saxophone & Horns in Rock & Pop Music

Inspired by the list circulating around on this Community Page regarding saxophone, I developed a Spotify Playlist and Blog Post on the topic:

A few weeks ago in my music blog I made mention of David Sanborn, a prolific jazz and pop saxophonist who celebrated his 77th birthday on July 30th.  David serves as the inspiration for this week’s playlist and blog, which celebrates horns in rock and pop music.  He, along with Kenny G and Michael Brecker made jazz more accessible to the everyday rock and pop fan in the ‘70s, ‘80s, and ‘90s.  While saxophone dominates, trumpet and even clarinet are featured in the songs on the playlist.

Interestingly, David began playing saxophone at the advice of his pediatrician to strengthen his weakened chest muscles and improve his breathing which had been significantly damaged due to the effects of polio that attacked him at the age of 8.  As an aside, wearing my pediatrician hat, remember when polio was a thing?  FDR sure did, as does David.  And if we aren’t careful and don’t get back on track with vaccinating, the youth of our nation may be sadly remembering polio in an all too personal way.  Don’t wait - VACCINATE!

Sanborn honed his skills and eventually became a sought-after horn player by many pop and rock acts. Over the years he has served as sax sideman to the likes of James Taylor, Eric Clapton, Cat Stevens, Roger Daltrey, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Kenny Loggins, David Bowie, Al Jarreau, Pure Prairie League, Kenny G, Elton John, Carly Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Roger Waters, Steely Dan, The Eagles, The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, and Toto, among others.

He sets the stage for the theme of this week’s playlist and blog, saxophone and horns featured prominently in classic rock and pop songs.  Other sax players on display are Kenny G, Michael Brecker, Clarence Clemmons, Trevor Lawrence, Richie Cannata, Phil Woods, and Mark Rivera.  Among my favorite artists featuring horns in much of their music, dominating the list, are Billy Joel, Van Morrison, Steely Dan, Bruce Springsteen, Chicago, Phil Collins, Earth, Wind & Fire and Motown in general.  Check out the playlist to see if your favorite horn song made the list.  Notable songs with memorable sax work include Gerry Rafferty’s “Baker Street,” Wham’s “Careless Whisper,” Men At Work’s “Who Can It Be Now,” Glen Frey’s “You Belong To The City,” Bruce Springsteen’s “Born To Run,” James Taylor’s “Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight,” Billy Joel’s “Scenes From An Italian Restaurant,” Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock & Roll,” Pink Floyd’s “Shine On You Crazy Diamond,” Huey Lewis & The News’ “The Heart of Rock & Roll,” and Foreigner’s “Urgent” among many others. 

https://listentothemusicblog.com/sultans-of-swing-songs-celebrating-saxophone-horns-in-rock-pop/

Honored Social Butterfly

You could pick from a number of Pink Floyd songs, but I would add this one for the two sax solos…

Us And Them  -  Pink Floyd / Dick Parry on sax

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good playlist! Being a fan of these guys, I would add …

Walking In My Sleep - Roger Daltrey / Michael Becker, sax

In Your Time - Bob Seger / Alto Reed, sax

Long As I Can See The Light - CCR / John Fogerty, sax

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Lots of great songs on there. Was getting

upset until I saw “All you need is love” on

there, one of the best rock songs with horns

of all time 💜🎼

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Great list!!

One great sax song to consider:  Lily Was Here: Dave Stewart & Candy Dulfer

I also had a forum for sax songs, you might find some others in there.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP