AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Staying and feeling young through music

Message 11 of 35 (622 Views)

As you were saying about your dad, and how it took him back to the days with mom. music

is a time machine. (reverse only :-)  Of course it will bring you back to the present.  LOL

I still get a kick when a teenager will tell me all about 'Led Zeppelin'.  They have listened

to the music of their parents, and grandparents !!.  I smile and tell them that they have good

taste.  But if I mention Glen Miller.  opps,  I went to far back.  Their 'time machine' only

went back to the late 60's for them...   You can't win them all.  :-)

There are so many songs that I see when posted, that I have to go to YouTube and listen

to them again.  At that moment, music fills my soul and the rest of the world just stopped.

Of course, some one say's turn your computer down., and my memory got flushed down

the drain.  Oh well. There is still another post to read, and the music starts to play again

....and so on and so on....(What a circle)

Thanks for listening  (Sounds like a DJ getting ready to play the next hit (of the past))...

Respected Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 12 of 35 (631 Views)

Hi

and thank you for your comments.  I think just about everyone likes music of some kind.  It truly can be a universal language.  It is a really big world with room for everything from yodeling to classical to R & B and Rap.  Everyone is welcome to listen or not and share what they like.  The youngest listener has something in common with the oldest and a teenager learning to play a guitar can talk to a sixty year old guitar player and have a common language.  Keeping young means staying active as you can both in body and mind and music engages you in both ways.

So enjoy the music and thank you for joining us here.  I remember my dad, in his eighties, listening to his beloved big  band music.  He said it took him back to his youth and early days with my mom.  I think most of us would agree.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 35 (635 Views)

I have read so many comments here that they are so true.

I have learned to listen to the now music.  I don't always

agree with some of the new singers/groups, but that is

what makes up the music world.  Music might be hell to

one, and heaven to another.  Diversity is what makes the

world go around.  Even though I listen to the 'oldies but

goodies' more, I can still feel young by moving with the

beat.  It's communities like this that brings us all together.

I enjoy all the music catagories that I can participate in.

It keeps my mind and the memories alive.

Thank you all for sharing the music together.

PEACE

Message 14 of 35 (697 Views)

Message 15 of 35 (712 Views)

Kelly6911 wrote:

So True!

Welcome!

Conversationalist

Message 16 of 35 (697 Views)

So True!

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 35 (1,836 Views)

Drummers could really be called athletes. It takes a fit individual to play for those sets.

Message 18 of 35 (1,865 Views)

jw8815 wrote:

I have really enjoyed reading all the replies of so many other folks across our beautiful country as we tell others about the value of music in our lives.  I have been reading music better and longer than I have the written word(don't mistake: I love to read, too, and have been required to read a lot thru my life).  But music was my way to: live thru my parents' divorce when I was 6(playing guitar and listening to every song I could get hold of to listen to and learn); live thru moving away from all my closest friends to another home many miles away(playing cornet in school band and dance band); live thru a head-on collision which took the life of my 22 week gestation baby and caused me great difficulty physically as well(that time, I was Blessed to be dancing down the hospital corridor in a leg and arm cast using my IV pole for support to the wonderful music of Louis Armstrong) contemplating that I would probably never play my beloved trumpet again. I spent the next 10 or so years, using music to facilitate movement and enthusiasm of my precious little patients, and my sons as well, in ice skating programs for children with special needs.  One day many years later, I was 'awakened' to try my trumpet once again.  That was 1997. After my husband's passing on(2006); my sons' growing on and marrying my beautiful daughter-in-laws(2012); and saying 'So Long' to my beloved PT profession(2014), I spend my life dedicated to music: playing for the 'River City Big Band', 'Lamplighters Big  Band', 'Noname TradJazz Band', and the 'Seven Dutchmen Orchestra' in and near San Antonio, TX. Music and Faith in My Father Above are and have been my most saving grace thruout my life.  Life is Good!

So have I and I thank you all for sharing.. your music and your thoughts!!

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 35 (1,760 Views)

I have really enjoyed reading all the replies of so many other folks across our beautiful country as we tell others about the value of music in our lives.  I have been reading music better and longer than I have the written word(don't mistake: I love to read, too, and have been required to read a lot thru my life).  But music was my way to: live thru my parents' divorce when I was 6(playing guitar and listening to every song I could get hold of to listen to and learn); live thru moving away from all my closest friends to another home many miles away(playing cornet in school band and dance band); live thru a head-on collision which took the life of my 22 week gestation baby and caused me great difficulty physically as well(that time, I was Blessed to be dancing down the hospital corridor in a leg and arm cast using my IV pole for support to the wonderful music of Louis Armstrong) contemplating that I would probably never play my beloved trumpet again. I spent the next 10 or so years, using music to facilitate movement and enthusiasm of my precious little patients, and my sons as well, in ice skating programs for children with special needs.  One day many years later, I was 'awakened' to try my trumpet once again.  That was 1997. After my husband's passing on(2006); my sons' growing on and marrying my beautiful daughter-in-laws(2012); and saying 'So Long' to my beloved PT profession(2014), I spend my life dedicated to music: playing for the 'River City Big Band', 'Lamplighters Big  Band', 'Noname TradJazz Band', and the 'Seven Dutchmen Orchestra' in and near San Antonio, TX. Music and Faith in My Father Above are and have been my most saving grace thruout my life.  Life is Good!

Super Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 35 (1,608 Views)

Isn't it interesting how we can recall the name of many songs and the artist after hearing just the first few notes even though we hadn't heard the song for decades?