Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Songs that I’ve likely never heard but maybe I’d enjoy if I did!

Silver Conversationalist

Songs that I’ve likely never heard but maybe I’d enjoy if I did!

Do you have ideas for songs that aren’t as well known as bigger or number one hits by artists? I’m talking about the ‘B’ side of some 45’s that you enjoyed, when 45’s were still a thing. Or maybe you know of some artist or band that didn’t get quite the exposure that the bigger names did or still do get. I’d like to learn about artists or songs that are being listened to on the road less traveled by because I think that those might make all the difference. Even if they don’t though, it’d still be fun, I think, to hear something new! Share your favorite secret songs with the rest of us please?!

I’ll start things off with this one -

Birdhouse In Your Soul by They Might Be Giants

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Honored Social Butterfly

This is "Carry," from a song cycle called Night of Hunters, "the exploration of 'the hunter and the hunted and how both exist within us' through the story of 'a woman who finds herself in the dying embers of a relationship'," according to Wikipedia.  The song demonstrates that love changes the lovers, leaving feelings that will never die, even if one of the lovers does.  

Since 1990, the singer and writer of "Carry," Tori Amos, has had several hit records in the US, including "Silent All These Years" and "Cornflake Girl."  She began playing piano at age two and was admitted to the Peabody Conservatory of Music at age five, the youngest student the conservatory had ever admitted.  She joined a hard rock band in the 1980s and they made a record but when it failed the band broke up.  Tori then decided that instead of writing what she was told would sell, she would write songs she could be proud of, and by 1992, working as a solo artist, she had her first hit album, Little Earthquakes.  Her 16th album, Christmastide, will be released tomorrow.

That's Tori's daughter Tash in the video.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks for the pepperoni, 1970. George

Harrison “All things must pass” Guarantee

it’s NOT what you’re expecting 😎

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

When A Blind Man Cries  -  Deep Purple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Iq9CWuqMM

If you're a fan of Deep Purple, then perhaps you've heard it. It was originally recorded for the 1972 album, Machine Head, but it was only released as a B-side to Never Before. For whatever reason, Ritchie Blackmore didn't like the song and blocked it from the album. With Blackmore's departure in '93, it was added to the setlist, and has been included in most of Purple's live performances since. It's a well written and beautifully performed bluesy rock ballad. As a ballad, it’s a rare gem in the DP catalog.

Metallica covered the song for Remachined: A Tribute to Deep Purple's Machine Head, and included it on the album Hardwired . . . to Self-Destuct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APIY8x5gy7w

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Silver Conversationalist

Spoiler ALERT!! This one's not Rock and Roll Spoiler ALERT!!

I've Got A Gal In Kalamazoo  - Glenn Miller Orchestra

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here's some more:

Get Back To You:  Anthony & Sophomores

So Much Love:  Steve Alaimo 

Give Me One More Chance:  Wilmer Alexander & Dukes

Hunchback Of Notre Dame:  Alexander Rabbit

Peace Of Mind:  Magnificent Men

Honored Social Butterfly

I've got many. Not sure what your period of time is:

Come To Me Softly:  Jimmy James & Vagabonds

Hung Up:  Racket Squad

Ain't No Big Thing:  Electrons

High On A Hill:  Scott English

Let me know.what you think

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

You've got many do you now? I bet you have many stories you could tell us too about listening to these tunes as you and your girlfriend, (Roberta?), rode out to the local Lover's Lane back in the day, huh? Nice and smooth dude! Very nice! As for a period of time, anything from when it all began and anything you might find in the days that are yet to come.This is the place for music that I (and others) probably have not heard before but maybe we'd like it if only we knew. It's just fun discovering and listening to such good music. Thanks for sharing! 😎

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

The Best Radio You Have Never Heard is a podcast, a bi-weekly one, I think, that has lots of music that you probably have never heard before but you might be glad to listen to it now. There's always some type of theme for each episode but it's not strictly followed. So, if you're ready for something a little different, you might lend them an ear. Here's a link to the website for you - https://bestradioyouhaveneverheard.com/

And here is what's on their playlist for the week of November 15th -

NEW FOR NOVEMBER 15, 2020
Laying my musical hands on you . . .

Faith Healer - The Best Radio You Have Never Heard Vol. 399

1. Faith Healer - Recoil
2. Temptation (live) - Heaven 17
3. Uncertain Times - Jakko Jakszyk
4. Nomad - Black Dub
5. Hypnotized (live) - Fleetwood Mac
6. Tight Turn - The Raybeats
7. Your Gold Teeth II / This All Too Mobile Home (live) - Steely Dan
8. I Wanna Be Your Man (live) - Keith Richards & The X-Pensive Winos
9. Intruder / San Jacinto (live) - Peter Gabriel
10. Ripples - Steve Hackett w/ Amanda Lehmann
11. Turn Of The Century - Steve Howe & Annie Haslam
12. Black (unplugged) - Pearl Jam
13. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five (alt) - Paul McCartney and Wings
14. No Man's Land - AC/DC
15. Edith and The Kingpin (early) - Joni Mitchell
16. Tree Top Flyer / Midnight Rider (live acoustic) - Stephen Stills
17. Used To Be A King - Graham Nash
18 Abilene (live) - Dave Alvin
19. Sweet Jane (live) - Alejandro Escovedo & The Sensitive Boys
20. Funk #49 (live) - Eagles

PS I know that this isn't a "song" recommendation but it IS a recommendation for some songs that you may not already have heard. You know, "the road less traveled", that kind of thing! Cheers!

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Check out a song called Lache pas La Patate by Buckwheat Zydeco.  BTW... 'Lache pas La Patate' is a Cajun saying that means Never give up/Never say never.

Silver Conversationalist

Thanks, Buddy, great pick you made there! I'd heard of Buckwheat Zydeco before but not that tune. It's not often that songs with accordion in them get played much but his music is pretty awesome, I'd say! And the sentiment, Never give up/ Never say never, great words too. When I first saw the lache and patate, My mind switched into Spanish mode and I was thinking milk and potatoes. Just goes to show how little I know about the Cajun dialect! But good stuff, for sure!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The Farmers Daughter, 1980. The Mac 

“Fleetwood Mac Live” Cover of the Beach

Boy tune (a great song also)

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

Thanks for clueing me in on this one. I'd never heard either version but I've heard both now and all I can think to say is very nice! Good pick, that one! And although, through the years, I've heard a few stories about traveling salesmen and farmer's daughters, I looked and neither group seems to have any songs about salesmen. Probably that's a good thing. Thanks again!

Honored Social Butterfly

The Crossing (Osiyeza) by Johnny Clegg and Savuka

dedicated to Johnny's friend and bandmate Dudu Ndlovu, who was murdered in 1992

the song, written in both English and Zulu, describes the soul's journey, from wandering the earth alone to a joyous reunion in heaven

Silver Conversationalist

Wow, thanks for sharing! What a beautiful song! And I saw at the end that Dudu (great Zulu name, I’m sure but not so if he had been American) was born on Christmas Day and died on My 4th, the day of the Kent State Shootings. Anyhow, those were just random things I saw in the video but the symbolism was very nice. By watching, I got the feeling that there must have been quite a friendship between the two. Again, thanks for sharing. Very nice!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

And The Crossing, recorded by the Friends of Johnny Clegg

a group of singers from Johnny's beloved Africa, and England, where Johnny was born, came together for this tribute as Johnny was dying of cancer.  Proceeds from record sales went to scholarships and disaster relief

Johnny's son Jesse, also a musician, sings the line "It's funny how those once so close and now gone still so affect our lives"

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Storms, 1979. The Mac, “Tusk”

Silver Conversationalist

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Hate the sin but love the sinner!

Thank you for being the first to reply. I’m headed to listen to that now! 😊👍

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP