You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Songs That MeToo Might Blackball Today

Message 1 of 25

“You Always Hurt The One You Love” (Clarence Frogman Henry, Ringo Starr).

This song might be a stretch: he seems to be apologizing for his poor behavior, but then justifies (explains) his poor behavior by the clever use of circular reasoning involving a dubious premise: 1) you always hurt the one you love 2) I love you 3) that’s why I hurt you 4) if I didn’t love you then I wouldn't hurt you. 

Sorry for over-thinking a good song.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 25

Funny thing, this article showed up in USA Today with 20 of rock's most non-pc lyrics. It's no surprise to find lyrics by the Rolling Stones on the list, but The Beatles made the list also! It includes some lyrics that I hadn't really thought about in years. But sure enough, they would get the boot today! 

Here is the link to the entire list. (I see that a few have been mentioned in this thread).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2019/01/01/20-rock-n-rolls-most-politically-incorrect-song...

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 25

“You Got What It Takes” (Marv Johnson). She doesn’t dress well, doesn’t drive a fine car, doesn’t look like a movie star and nature didn’t give her such a beautiful face...but she’s got what it takes.

I’m ambivalent as to “objectability”. On one hand he goes out of his way to denigrate her. On the other hand he seems to be saying that he is looking beyond these superficialities and appreciates the real person.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 25

"A Man Needs A Maid" ,  by Neil Young

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 25

“If You Want to Be Happy For the Rest of Your Life” (Jimmy Soul). Extolling the virtues of marrying an ugly woman because she’ll bring you peace of mind and will always prepare your meals on time. Toward the end of the song one guy says “I saw your wife the other day and she is ugly”. The other guy agrees that his wife is ugly but counters “but she sure can cook”. Doubtful if the song would be released today.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 25

@1968Hoya46 wrote:

“Clementine”. (Bobby Darin). Pretty over the top song about fat-shaming.

I had to look up the lyrics since I didn't remember it. Yeah, it was over the top and would never get played today.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 25

“Clementine”. (Bobby Darin). Pretty over the top song about fat-shaming.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 25

This dirty little song is actually about a more than willing 'groupie' girl. It caught some flack in it's day, but with such a catchy tune, it still was a hit for the group. It probably wouldn't fly with #metoo, especially this part -

You're sorta young
But you're over age
I don't care cause I like your style
Don't know about your brain
But you look alright

All Night Long - Rainbow

Full lyrics with comments on this website - 

https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/rainbow/all-night-long

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 25

“Two Lovers” by Mary Wells (early Motown). She’s in love with 2 lovers and loves them both the same. One is sweet and kind. The other tends toward a domestic violence type. Unfortunately, they are the same person, with (as she puts it) a split personality. The song seems to be saying that it’s OK to be in a relationship with an abuser, just as long as he has a sweet side. MeToo I’m sure would disagree.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 25

I Love You Like a Ball and Chain.  Eurythmics

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos