Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Songs That MeToo Might Blackball Today

Message 21 of 41

“If You Want to Be Happy For the Rest of Your Life” (Jimmy Soul). Extolling the virtues of marrying an ugly woman because she’ll bring you peace of mind and will always prepare your meals on time. Toward the end of the song one guy says “I saw your wife the other day and she is ugly”. The other guy agrees that his wife is ugly but counters “but she sure can cook”. Doubtful if the song would be released today.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 41

@1968Hoya46 wrote:

“Clementine”. (Bobby Darin). Pretty over the top song about fat-shaming.

I had to look up the lyrics since I didn't remember it. Yeah, it was over the top and would never get played today.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 41

“Clementine”. (Bobby Darin). Pretty over the top song about fat-shaming.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 41

This dirty little song is actually about a more than willing 'groupie' girl. It caught some flack in it's day, but with such a catchy tune, it still was a hit for the group. It probably wouldn't fly with #metoo, especially this part -

You're sorta young
But you're over age
I don't care cause I like your style
Don't know about your brain
But you look alright

All Night Long - Rainbow

Full lyrics with comments on this website - 

https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/rainbow/all-night-long

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 41

“Two Lovers” by Mary Wells (early Motown). She’s in love with 2 lovers and loves them both the same. One is sweet and kind. The other tends toward a domestic violence type. Unfortunately, they are the same person, with (as she puts it) a split personality. The song seems to be saying that it’s OK to be in a relationship with an abuser, just as long as he has a sweet side. MeToo I’m sure would disagree.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 41

I Love You Like a Ball and Chain.  Eurythmics

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 41

“Lightnin’ Strikes Again”, by Lou Christie. Google the lyrics to get a true appreciation of this song. Essentially Lou tells his girlfriend that he’ll marry her someday, but since she’s old enough to “know the makings of a man”, she should be patient for now while he kisses (etc.) every woman that moves because when “lightnin’ strikes again” he must do what a man must do. Great stuff! It still gets airplay!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 41

@Hoya1968 wrote:

1) “I’m a Girl Watcher”, by the O’Kaysons (leering at girls walking by, etc).

2) “I Put a Spell On You”, by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins (he doesn’t care if she doesn’t want him; she’s his anyhow because he’ll put a spell on her).

3) “Every Breath You Take”, by The Police (this guy is a serious, disturbing stalker).

4) “Take Good Care of My Baby”, by Bobby Vee (“and  if you should discover that you don’t really love her, just send my baby home to me.....”  [via FedEx?].

5) “He Hit Me and It Felt Like a Kiss”, by the Crystals. The title says it all. Ironically, it was co-written by Carole King!

That's a good list!

I read somewhere that Sting heard a group sing Every Breath You Take  as a love song, said he couldn't quit laughing. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 41

The Night has a Thousand Eyes.  Bobby

Vee

This is in the creeper category if you listen to the lyrics.  But I like it. Hahahahaha 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 41

1) “I’m a Girl Watcher”, by the O’Kaysons (leering at girls walking by, etc).

2) “I Put a Spell On You”, by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins (he doesn’t care if she doesn’t want him; she’s his anyhow because he’ll put a spell on her).

3) “Every Breath You Take”, by The Police (this guy is a serious, disturbing stalker).

4) “Take Good Care of My Baby”, by Bobby Vee (“and  if you should discover that you don’t really love her, just send my baby home to me.....”  [via FedEx?].

5) “He Hit Me and It Felt Like a Kiss”, by the Crystals. The title says it all. Ironically, it was co-written by Carole King!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark