Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Songs That MeToo Might Blackball Today

Regular Social Butterfly

Songs That MeToo Might Blackball Today

Not trying to kick the hornets' nest, and hoping I don't get run out of town by all the more sensible villagers (because I would really miss you all) ... so I hope this will be taken in the manner in which it was intended. 

So I recently saw an Instagram  post bashing Al Hirt for putting out a record called "Music to Watch Girls By" back in 1967, using hashtags like "voyeur" and "SmashthePatriarchy" ... and I just thought, "Say Whaaaaat?" I mean, I guess I get it ... but now we're going to smash the trumpet player (God rest his soul) for covering a song 50 years ago about watching girls? 

So anyway, that song is my first entry in this new category. I'm sure there are other songs that in retrospect would be deemed much more offensive than this one, so I'm just interested to see where people might go with this thread, if anywhere at all!

Honored Social Butterfly

This dirty little song is actually about a more than willing 'groupie' girl. It caught some flack in it's day, but with such a catchy tune, it still was a hit for the group. It probably wouldn't fly with #metoo, especially this part -

You're sorta young
But you're over age
I don't care cause I like your style
Don't know about your brain
But you look alright

All Night Long - Rainbow

Full lyrics with comments on this website - 

https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/rainbow/all-night-long

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Regular Contributor

“Lightnin’ Strikes Again”, by Lou Christie. Google the lyrics to get a true appreciation of this song. Essentially Lou tells his girlfriend that he’ll marry her someday, but since she’s old enough to “know the makings of a man”, she should be patient for now while he kisses (etc.) every woman that moves because when “lightnin’ strikes again” he must do what a man must do. Great stuff! It still gets airplay!

Honored Social Butterfly

I Love You Like a Ball and Chain.  Eurythmics

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Regular Contributor

1) “I’m a Girl Watcher”, by the O’Kaysons (leering at girls walking by, etc).

2) “I Put a Spell On You”, by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins (he doesn’t care if she doesn’t want him; she’s his anyhow because he’ll put a spell on her).

3) “Every Breath You Take”, by The Police (this guy is a serious, disturbing stalker).

4) “Take Good Care of My Baby”, by Bobby Vee (“and  if you should discover that you don’t really love her, just send my baby home to me.....”  [via FedEx?].

5) “He Hit Me and It Felt Like a Kiss”, by the Crystals. The title says it all. Ironically, it was co-written by Carole King!

Honored Social Butterfly

@Hoya1968 wrote:

1) “I’m a Girl Watcher”, by the O’Kaysons (leering at girls walking by, etc).

2) “I Put a Spell On You”, by Screamin’ Jay Hawkins (he doesn’t care if she doesn’t want him; she’s his anyhow because he’ll put a spell on her).

3) “Every Breath You Take”, by The Police (this guy is a serious, disturbing stalker).

4) “Take Good Care of My Baby”, by Bobby Vee (“and  if you should discover that you don’t really love her, just send my baby home to me.....”  [via FedEx?].

5) “He Hit Me and It Felt Like a Kiss”, by the Crystals. The title says it all. Ironically, it was co-written by Carole King!

That's a good list!

I read somewhere that Sting heard a group sing Every Breath You Take  as a love song, said he couldn't quit laughing. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

The Night has a Thousand Eyes.  Bobby

Vee

This is in the creeper category if you listen to the lyrics.  But I like it. Hahahahaha 

Honored Social Butterfly

@millineutron wrote:

Not trying to kick the hornets' nest, and hoping I don't get run out of town by all the more sensible villagers (because I would really miss you all) ... so I hope this will be taken in the manner in which it was intended. 

So I recently saw an Instagram  post bashing Al Hirt for putting out a record called "Music to Watch Girls By" back in 1967, using hashtags like "voyeur" and "SmashthePatriarchy" ... and I just thought, "Say Whaaaaat?" I mean, I guess I get it ... but now we're going to smash the trumpet player (God rest his soul) for covering a song 50 years ago about watching girls? 

So anyway, that song is my first entry in this new category. I'm sure there are other songs that in retrospect would be deemed much more offensive than this one, so I'm just interested to see where people might go with this thread, if anywhere at all!

Interesting topic. 

Have you ever listened to RAP   I would say several could qualify but depends on the culture of the listeners

Honored Social Butterfly

So what would we think about Blurred Lines 🤔

https://youtu.be/yyDUC1LUXSU   

Huge hit!  Seventh best selling digital hit of all time

Regular Social Butterfly

@nyadrn Yes it IS good to see you back on here! And yes, Blurred Lines is super creepy. According to Robin Thicke, the lyrics were written by Pharrell, which I was Unhappy to hear:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6258733/robin-thicke-blurred-lines-one-year-late...

Honored Social Butterfly

@millineutron wrote:

@nyadrn Yes it IS good to see you back on here! And yes, Blurred Lines is super creepy. According to Robin Thicke, the lyrics were written by Pharrell, which I was Unhappy to hear:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6258733/robin-thicke-blurred-lines-one-year-late...

I was really surprised that Pharrell turned out to be the writer. Thicke says it's been misinterpreted. Maybe so, but an audience wouldn't have their perspective in mind just listening to the lyrics. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

So what would we think about Blurred Lines 🤔

https://youtu.be/yyDUC1LUXSU   

Huge hit!  Seventh best selling digital hit of all time

Oh my! I'd say it qualifies!! Interesting that I found two sets of lyrics on google search. The original version apparently caused quite a controversy when it was released. Then I found updated lyrics, thinking perhaps they reconsidered. Well, they did, and it got even worse!! Yikes! 

@nyadrn - Good to see posts from you again!!  (are you watching The Voice? no thread started yet)

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

@nyadrn - Good to see posts from you again!!  (are you watching The Voice? no thread started yet)

@MaVolta @millineutron 

Hi and thanks. I broke my left hand on vacation and I have not been typing as much. LOL.  

I did start The Voice thread 😀

Regular Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote: 
@MaVolta @millineutron 

Hi and thanks. I broke my left hand on vacation and I have not been typing as much. LOL.  

Owww! That sounds painful! Glad you're better!

@MaVolta wrote:

Thicke says it's been misinterpreted.  

OK, Robin ... mmmm hmmmm. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Interesting subject, for sure!

This one is from the Broadway musical, The Most Happy Fella, 1956:

Standing on the Corner (watching all the girls go by) 

It probably was never noticed back in the day, but the lyrics are really creepy! (see link below)

https://genius.com/Frank-loesser-standing-on-the-corner-lyrics

Regular Social Butterfly

@MaVolta That was creepy!

This one really bothers me, even though it might not be a MeToo thing: Under My Thumb -- The Rolling Stones

"Under my thumb
It's a squirmin' dog who's just had her day
Under my thumb
A girl who has just changed her ways
It's down to me, Yes it is

The way she does just what she's told

Down to me, the change has come
She's under my thumb
Ah, ah, say it's alright

Under my thumb
It's a Siamese cat of a girl
Under my thumb
She's the sweetest, hmmm, pet in the world
It's down to me
The way she talks when she's spoken to
Down to me, the change has come
She's under my thumb
Ah, take it easy babe Yeah

Under my thumb
Her eyes are just kept to herself
Under my thumb, well I
I can still look at someone else ..."

Seriously???

Honored Social Butterfly

@millineutron wrote:

This one really bothers me, even though it might not be a MeToo thing: Under My Thumb -- The Rolling Stones

Seriously???

Yes, I'd say it qualifies! 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP