Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Proms circa 1962-1966

I'm writing a story about an older couple where the man is learning to dance. Both missed their prom. I'd like to know which songs you had at your prom. These are songs of the late 50s to the mid 60s. Our guy can do a mean 'cling and slide' but nothing beyond that. If any have experience teaching or being taught how to dance later in life, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.

Dennis Hanks
Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

My prom was big on Motown. Anything by the Temps, Smokey, Supremes, Martha & Vandellas etc. Being from the Philly area, we were big on the stomp such as the Bristol Stomp (Dovells) & Let's Stomp (Bobby Comstock). The Philly sound was also big: The Orlons, Dreamlovers, Candy & Kisses and of course Chubby, Bobby Rydell and Dee Dee Sharp. Also there were some classic slow songs: When A Man Loves A Woman (Percy Sledge), Don't Make Me Over (Dionne Warwick), Look In My Eyes (Chantels) and Stand By Me (Ben E King).

Periodic Contributor

Great, thanks. Just copied your songs. Need to reaquint myself with 'Look in her Eyes' and 'Don't Make Me Over'. Looking for videos of the Stomp. Not big in my world, but it might be just the ticket. Again, thanks. 

Ever try to teach someone how to dance? Remember how you did it?

Dennis Hanks
Honored Social Butterfly

Others to look for are the mashed potato and watusi

I learned just by watching and doing. I was a bit more agile then. Of course we had American Bandstand back in the day.

Periodic Contributor

How many dances would your school or whatever have in a year? In junior high, we had sock hops in the gym maybe a few times a year, but I don't remember many in high school (Southern California). My characters will do a lot of 'cling and slide' with So. Cal. swing (I think it's what it was - Beach Boys). The Twist was big, but I want my characters dancing together. 

Dennis Hanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @wasatchu I am too young but wanted say what an awesome story that will be. ๐Ÿ˜

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It's not coming together well. It will be a play about building a dance club for active seniors. A place to recall old memories and make new ones.

Dennis Hanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasatchu wrote:

It's not coming together well. It will be a play about building a dance club for active seniors. A place to recall old memories and make new ones.

๐Ÿ’ฅ@wasatchu how long have you been working on it?๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

A couple months. Have 105 pages of raw script. Will take it to 120 and then do a major rewrite. Using music will limit production - copyright issues. Still, it has been fun. Doubt it will ever see the light of day. Been great to visit the old songs.

Dennis Hanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BobH07 is our Music Expert ๐Ÿ˜ I am into Reggae and 1970's and 1980's. Please keep us posted.

Periodic Contributor

Should I tell Bob it was 'Look in MY Eyes'?

Dennis Hanks
Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry, a slip of my old brain!!

Periodic Contributor

Nothing to be sorry for. Introduced me to a song I didn't remember. Again, thanks for your suggestions. Gawd, we had some great music.

Dennis Hanks
Honored Social Butterfly

Nothing better than late 50s and sixties rock & roll.

When you have time, look back through the forums, there is one on songs of the sixties. It'll bring back memories.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BobH07 wrote:

๐Ÿ’ฅLol, you are forgiven @BobH07 = we all old with senor moments๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@BobH07 wrote:

๐Ÿ’ฅLol, you are forgiven @BobH07 = we all old with senor moments๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ฅ

@BobH07  and @wasatchu I just had one Used senor instead of senior. ๐Ÿ™„

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasatchu wrote:

Should I tell Bob it was 'Look in MY Eyes'?

๐Ÿ’ฅLol @wasatchu ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ฅ

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP