There's always more to discover with your AARP membership. Explore your member benefits today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Periodic Table of Songs

Message 11 of 107

@ReTiReD51 - No, I don't think it's been mentioned here.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 107

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon (Ne) light

The Sound of Silence …. Simon & Garfukel, 1964

I just heard this song play. I don't know if it has been mentioned or not. My apologies if it has.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 107

"Mr. Grinch!
You're a three-decker sauerkraut
And toadstool sandwich
With arsenic sauce!"

You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch by Albert Hague / Theodor S. Geisel, sung by  Thurl Ravenscroft, in How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 107

Wow! You guys have done an amazing job hunting down so many element song references! I wish I knew how to code, so I could make an interactive periodic table where you could click on each element and listen to songs mentioning that element. But here's the data so far:

References to 23 different (individual) elements in song titles, lyrics, or band names: Silver (Ag) had 21 references (not including repeated songs). Gold (Au) came in 2nd with 18. Neon (Ne) was in 3rd place with 7 references. Iron (Fe) & Tin (Sn) tied for 4th with 4 references each. 5th place went to Oxygen (O), Nickel (Ni), & Mercury (Hg) with 3 each. Lithium (Li), Sulfur (S), Titanium (Ti), Copper (Cu), & Lead (Pb) tied for 6th with 2 apiece. Hydrogen (H), Helium (He), Carbon (C), Magnesium (Mg), Aluminum (Al), Chlorine (Cl), Krypton (Kr), Iodine (I), Platinum (Pt), & Plutonium (Pu) each had one. The Noble Gases as a group were also referenced.

America, Donovan, Elvis Costello, Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead, Miranda Lambert, Sting, & Neil Young all had at least 2 songs mentioning elements. Who knew? There were at least 9 posts mentioning Tom Lehrer's Element Song listing all the elements then known (through nobelium, atomic number 102) when he wrote the lyrics in 1959.

There were also posts referring to compounds (salt), alloys (steel), and also to coal. We could for sure expand to include not just elements but also chemistry-related terms, such as ion names as in: 

Telluride -- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

Let's keep going, if we're still having fun! 🤓

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 107

Hmmm I accidentally posted the same thing twice & now I can't figure out how to delete it so I'm just writing this instead! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 107
Correction: It has the elements known at the time. Since then, new elements have been discovered. "These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard, and there may be many others, but they haven't been discovered" Indeed...
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 107

It has the eements known lat the time.  Since then, new elements have been discovered.  "These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard, and there may be many others, but they haven't been discovered"  Indeed...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 107

The Elements - Tom Lehrer

It has them all - including Ytterbium & Yttrium

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 107

Goldfinger, Neon Lights

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 107
Try Tom Lehrer's "The Elements Song", all the then known elements of the periodic table, set to a Gilbert and Sullivan melody. Wonderful...

Regards,

RCP
Kudos
Views