Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: Periodic Table of Songs

Message 1 of 99

@MaVolta

@ReTiReD51

Good ones!! I forgot about the neon line in The Sound of Silence. 

Good call with How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. 

Another one:

Miss Atomic Bomb -- The Killers

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 99

There's the U2 album - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Special editions included a song called Fast Cars which includes the following line -

They're in the desert to dismantle an atomic bomb  (the context of the song is drugs and detox)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 99

@ReTiReD51 - No, I don't think it's been mentioned here.

Highlighted

Message 4 of 99

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon (Ne) light

The Sound of Silence …. Simon & Garfukel, 1964

I just heard this song play. I don't know if it has been mentioned or not. My apologies if it has.

Message 5 of 99

"Mr. Grinch!
You're a three-decker sauerkraut
And toadstool sandwich
With arsenic sauce!"

You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch by Albert Hague / Theodor S. Geisel, sung by  Thurl Ravenscroft, in How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Message 6 of 99

Wow! You guys have done an amazing job hunting down so many element song references! I wish I knew how to code, so I could make an interactive periodic table where you could click on each element and listen to songs mentioning that element. But here's the data so far:

References to 23 different (individual) elements in song titles, lyrics, or band names: Silver (Ag) had 21 references (not including repeated songs). Gold (Au) came in 2nd with 18. Neon (Ne) was in 3rd place with 7 references. Iron (Fe) & Tin (Sn) tied for 4th with 4 references each. 5th place went to Oxygen (O), Nickel (Ni), & Mercury (Hg) with 3 each. Lithium (Li), Sulfur (S), Titanium (Ti), Copper (Cu), & Lead (Pb) tied for 6th with 2 apiece. Hydrogen (H), Helium (He), Carbon (C), Magnesium (Mg), Aluminum (Al), Chlorine (Cl), Krypton (Kr), Iodine (I), Platinum (Pt), & Plutonium (Pu) each had one. The Noble Gases as a group were also referenced.

America, Donovan, Elvis Costello, Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead, Miranda Lambert, Sting, & Neil Young all had at least 2 songs mentioning elements. Who knew? There were at least 9 posts mentioning Tom Lehrer's Element Song listing all the elements then known (through nobelium, atomic number 102) when he wrote the lyrics in 1959.

There were also posts referring to compounds (salt), alloys (steel), and also to coal. We could for sure expand to include not just elements but also chemistry-related terms, such as ion names as in: 

Telluride -- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

Let's keep going, if we're still having fun! 🤓

Message 7 of 99

Hmmm I accidentally posted the same thing twice & now I can't figure out how to delete it so I'm just writing this instead! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 99
Correction: It has the elements known at the time. Since then, new elements have been discovered. "These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard, and there may be many others, but they haven't been discovered" Indeed...
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 99

It has the eements known lat the time.  Since then, new elements have been discovered.  "These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard, and there may be many others, but they haven't been discovered"  Indeed...

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 99

The Elements - Tom Lehrer

It has them all - including Ytterbium & Yttrium

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors