Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

Message 491 of 794

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX42_3ZKv8c

"Alabama Song" dedicated to Roy Moore... not to make light of his victims but just give us some truth and stop living in your own igorance and lies.

A little background on the song itself:  most people take this as drinking song or a glorification of pub crawls but such is not the case as the next two paragraphs will illustriate I hope. To wit:

The "Alabama Song" was written as a German poem and translated into idiosyncratic English for the author Bertolt Brecht by his close collaborator Elisabeth Hauptmann in 1925[1] and published in Brecht's 1927 Home Devotions (German: Hauspostille), a parody of Martin Luther's collection of sermons. It was set to music by Kurt Weill for the 1927 play Little Mahagonny (Mahagonny-Songspiel) and reused for Brecht and Weill's 1930 opera Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny (Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny), where it is sung by Jenny and her fellow prostitutes in Act I. Although the majority of all three works is in German, the "Alabama Song" retained Hauptmann's English lyrics throughout.

The song was recorded in 1966 by the rock group The Doors, listed as "Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)". The melody is changed and the verse beginning "Show me the way to the next little dollar..." is omitted. On the album version, lead singer Jim Morrison altered the second verse from "Show us the way to the next pretty boy" to "Show me the way to the next little girl"[5] but, on the 1967 Live at the Matrix recording, he sings the original "... next pretty boy".

Nevertheless its time to give it up Roy No-Moore.

And yes play it f'n LOUD!

Peace and Stay Free!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 492 of 794

Hell No I Ain't Gonna Go. Matt Jones

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 493 of 794
thank you for the kudos much appreciated
Peace and Stay Free!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 494 of 794

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA8N0xy3hjE

John Lennon - Woman Is The **bleep** Of The World

In light of recent developments in the news...

don't just think about it....

DO something about it

Peace and Stay Free!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 495 of 794

Dear Mr President; Pink ...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 496 of 794

Bad Company   Bad Company

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 497 of 794
not to pontificate but the words of this song were actually taken from a speech King Haile Selassie I presented at the United Nations not long before he was ultimately deposed by the nationalists
Peace and Stay Free!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 498 of 794

Bob Marley.  War. 

https://youtu.be/zmux03p7FgU

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 499 of 794
Love Phil highly underrated overshadowed by Dylan back in the day. Another one gone much too soon. thanks!
Peace and Stay Free!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 500 of 794

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOeUpKCCSVQ

Hmmm... don't know why I am just getting a link but nothing else. The song is "Gun" performed by the late great Gil Scott Heron a lyrical prophet in his own time and beyond.

Brother man nowadays livin' in the ghetto

Where the dangers sure enough real.

Well when he's out late at night, and if he's got his head on right, Well, I lay you 9 to 5 he's walking with steel.

Brother Man says he's 'fraid of gangsters Messing with people just for fun He don't want to be next. He got a family to protect. So just last week he bought himself a gun.

Everybody got a pistol, everybody got a .45 And the philosophy seem to be, At least as near as I can see, When other folks give up theirs, I'll give up mine.

This is a violent civilization; If civilization's where I am. Every channel that I stop on Got a different kind of cop on Killing them by the million for Uncle Sam. Saturday night just ain't that special. Yeah, I got the constitution on the run. 'Cause even though we've got the right To defend our home, to defend our life, Got to understand to get it in hand about the guns.

Everybody's got a pistol. Everybody got a .45. The philosophy seems to be, At least as near as I can see, When other folks give up, I, I'll give up... Saturday night just ain't that special. Freedom to be afraid is all you want. Yes if you don't want to be next. You've got a family to protect. 9 out of 10, you've got a friend, you've got a gun.

Everybody got a pistol. Everybody got a .45. And the philosophy seems to be, At least as near as I can see, When other folks give up theirs, I'll give up mine.

Everybody got a pistol, this mosty be the NRA Yeah 'cause when it's time to line up You know **bleep** well they're gonna shine up Everybody... And the philosophy seem to be At least as near as I can see, When other folks give up theirs, I'll give up mine.

Are you ready to give up yours?

Peace and Stay Free!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Learn how to improve your problem-solving skills and enter the Love Your Brain sweepstakes from AARP Staying Sharp!