Recognized Social Butterfly

PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

The only stipulation here is that the song should be commentary,  controversial, expressing a rebellious, protesting "frame of mind"; generally, or speciffically, about society, culture, economics, wealth, poverty, politics, war, peace, relationships, etc, etc, etc.

How about some songs which, when you heard them, you thought, "Yeh, those lyrics tell it like it is!" or maybe you were offended by the controversial lyrics.

Your song selection may be from any time period in history and about any topic you choose, old songs and new songs.

Please be free to post protest & rebellion songs which either you agreed with or which "honked" you off.

Here is an opportunity to "Get it off your chest!" Go ahead and briefly include memorable lyrics of the song if you like [ if you remember 🙂 ]

To begin.....here's a protest song:     Subterranean Homesick Blues     Bob Dylan

Merely OneTokeOTL
Contributor

Voulenteers by Jefferson Airplane

Contributor

Shape of Things to Come - Max Frost and the Troopers

For What it's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

Contributor

The Eve of Destruction.

Trusted Contributor

War -the Edwin Starr version

Gold Conversationalist

"I Ain't Goin ta War and No One Can Make Me" by the Rebels Without a Cause (country)

Contributor

"Almost Gone"    by  Graham Nash & James Raymond

Contributor

Fortunate Son. We have too many of those in positions of power. Song itself has the most snarling guitar riff at beginning for emphasis.

Masters of War. The anger is palpable to very last line.

Contributor

American Joe....bluegrass...IronHorse

Periodic Contributor

"The Price You Got Pay To Be Free" "Compared To What" - Les McCann and Eddie Harris.

"The Message" - Grand Master Flash and The Furious Five.

Periodic Contributor

Wow!  You've got me remembering so many fine songs.  Here are some I can think of:

Working Class Hero -- John Lennon

Gimme Some Truth -- John Lennon

Going Up Country -- Canned Heat (this is an "I'm done fighting, I'm leaving" type protest song)

Volunteers -- Jefferson Airplane (& just about everything they did felt like protest.  And Grace Slick was so cool!)

Another Brick in the Wall -- Pink Floyd (hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!)

I Stand for You -- Michael McDonald (An I will stand beside you at your protest song.)

Too Much of Nothing -- Peter, Paul & Mary

Sixteen Tons -- Tennessee Ernie Ford (. . . and whadd'ya get?  Another day older & deeper in debt.)  

The World is a Ghetto -- War (now maybe this is somebody who should be protesting, but is really in a funk about the world he's living in and can't get his mojo working yet.  "Yet" being the operative word.)

Brother, Can You Spare a Dime -- Judy Collins version  (Sweet, sad protest of an American betrayed.)

All Along the Watchtower -- Jimi Hendrix version  ("There must be somewhere out of here, said the Joker to the Thief.  There's just too much confusion.  I can't get no relief."  This is a protest song wrapped up in prophecy.  Spooky.)

Fight the Power -- Isley Brothers

Freedom Words -- Colour Club

Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) -- Melanie

Smiling Faces Sometimes -- the Undisputed Truth (Protesting jerks in general & I just love their name!)

Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler) -- Marvin Gaye

If I Had a Hammer -- Trini Lopez

This Land is Your Land -- Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings version

Time Has Come Today -- Chambers Brothers  (I've become "psychedelecized" and am no longer playing along with the rest of society!)

I'm Your Captain -- Grand Funk Railroad (anti-war)

Shapes of Things -- Yardbirds (anti-war)

Radioactive -- Imagine Dragons (no nukes)

Lakota -- Joni Mitchell (protesting treatment of native peoples)

Who's Gonna Stand Up? -- Neil Young  (protesting for mother earth)

Contributor

"Draft dodger Rag"  Phil Oachs

Conversationalist

We Have a Lot to Drink About - Jimmy Buffett

Periodic Contributor

We Shall Overcome!  May be as appropriate today as it was during the Civil Rights movement, considering what's going on in Washington DC these days!!!

Conversationalist

Eve of Distruction - Barry McGuire

Periodic Contributor

We Shall Overcome!

May be as appropriate today as it was during the Civil Rights movement...considering what's going on in Washington DC these days!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Pink Floyd   Another Brick In The Wall

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Silver Conversationalist

War Song - Neil Young & Graham Nash

Silver Conversationalist

99 Luftballons - Nena

Ohio by CSN Maybe Y

Dead on the ground...forgetting OHIO

Regular Contributor

Neil Young wrote it and sang lead and the lyric is "four dead in Ohio" referencing National Guard killings at Kent State. 

Contributor

The title of the song is "OHIO".   An absolute CLASSIC!!!!  Both Lyrics and melody wise.

Honored Social Butterfly

The Great Mandella -- Peter, Paul & Mary

Honored Social Butterfly

From Ireland

The Foggy Dew -- The Chieftains with Sinead O'Connor

Honored Social Butterfly

Mississippi Goddam -- Nina Simone

Silver Conversationalist

Biko - Peter Gabriel

Contributor

Free Nelson Mandela by the Specials

Periodic Contributor

1964's 'Eve of Destruction' by P. F. Sloan, sung by Barry McGuire.  You can check it out on YouTube.

Contributor

Wow! There are so many great ones, which isn't great because it means there has been so much to protest. However, the strongest, most intense songs I can think of are 'We Shall Overcome', an anthem as true today as when it was first written. The other is 'Strange Fruit' which is so strong, with perhaps the most powerful lyrics ever written.  What a shame that our country has spawned so many songs of protest.  Certainly the rap songs of the 1980s, and beyond, and other songs written by young artists continue to let the world know that the injustice of society shall not be accepted, will not be taken, without protest.

@LookOverYonder wrote:

The only stipulation here is that the song should be commentary,  controversial, expressing a rebellious, protesting "frame of mind"; generally, or speciffically, about society, culture, economics, wealth, poverty, politics, war, peace, relationships, etc, etc, etc.

How about some songs which, when you heard them, you thought, "Yeh, those lyrics tell it like it is!" or maybe you were offended by the controversial lyrics.

Your song selection may be from any time period in history and about any topic you choose, old songs and new songs.

Please be free to post protest & rebellion songs which either you agreed with or which "honked" you off.

Here is an opportunity to "Get it off your chest!" Go ahead and briefly include memorable lyrics of the song if you like [ if you remember 🙂 ]

To begin.....here's a protest song:     Subterranean Homesick Blues     Bob Dylan

Periodic Contributor

Get Together - Youngbloods

Periodic Contributor

If I had a hammer, by Peter Paul and Mary

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

To our Online Community Members,

We wanted to let you know that our Community Guidelines and Terms of Service have been updated. The changes are intended to foster more civil discussions in AARP’s online communities. The issues discussed in these communities – including healthcare, retirement and politics – are serious and stir up strong emotions. We should have spirited debates about all of them, but those debates should always be respectful, on topic and fact based. We will be applying these standards in our online communities as we work together, with all of you, to address the challenges that face older Americans. Thank you.

AARP Membership Flash Sale

AARP Members Only Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Your Daily Puzzle

Enjoy our interactive brain-teasers and treat yourself to some mental gymnastics. Try one today.

Your Daily Puzzle