Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

Recognized Social Butterfly

PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

The only stipulation here is that the song should be commentary,  controversial, expressing a rebellious, protesting "frame of mind"; generally, or speciffically, about society, culture, economics, wealth, poverty, politics, war, peace, relationships, etc, etc, etc.

How about some songs which, when you heard them, you thought, "Yeh, those lyrics tell it like it is!" or maybe you were offended by the controversial lyrics.

Your song selection may be from any time period in history and about any topic you choose, old songs and new songs.

Please be free to post protest & rebellion songs which either you agreed with or which "honked" you off.

Here is an opportunity to "Get it off your chest!" Go ahead and briefly include memorable lyrics of the song if you like [ if you remember ๐Ÿ™‚ ]

To begin.....here's a protest song:     Subterranean Homesick Blues     Bob Dylan

Merely OneTokeOTL
Periodic Contributor

"Revolution" by Jefferson Airplane.

Contributor

"19" by John Hardcastle..... "Where have all the Flowers Gone" by Peter, Paul &Mary. Hard to top these.

Eve of Destruction and Give Me Shelter

Regular Contributor

sad, but very well could be true... ๐Ÿ˜ž
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Resistence by Queensryche

Trusted Contributor

War by the Commadore, What going on by Marvin Gage:

Regular Contributor

EXACTLY!!!

Trusted Contributor

The Rebel Jesus by Jackson Browne and The Chieftans.

Bronze Conversationalist

Ohio--Neil Young

Regular Contributor

Pretty much anything from The Last Poets is protest music. They were some angry MF's.

@LookOverYonder wrote:

The only stipulation here is that the song should be commentary,  controversial, expressing a rebellious, protesting "frame of mind"; generally, or speciffically, about society, culture, economics, wealth, poverty, politics, war, peace, relationships, etc, etc, etc.

How about some songs which, when you heard them, you thought, "Yeh, those lyrics tell it like it is!" or maybe you were offended by the controversial lyrics.

Your song selection may be from any time period in history and about any topic you choose, old songs and new songs.

Please be free to post protest & rebellion songs which either you agreed with or which "honked" you off.

Here is an opportunity to "Get it off your chest!" Go ahead and briefly include memorable lyrics of the song if you like [ if you remember ๐Ÿ™‚ ]

To begin.....here's a protest song:     Subterranean Homesick Blues     Bob Dylan

Periodic Contributor

"On The Subway" was the only one on their first album that could be played on the radio.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The only song I ever heard on the radio was "On The Subway".  It probably was the only one they could play. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Taking it across the Pond: "Taxman", by the Beatles (which takes a shot at two Prime Ministers: Harold Wilson and Edward Heath).

Periodic Contributor

Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind.  There's too many to name.  Which shows this isn't the first time our leaders are taking us in the wrong direction. 

Regular Contributor

YES!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

and then there's "Give Peace a Chance" by the Beatles.  All we are saying...

Regular Contributor

EVERYONE....JUST LISTEN TO THE WORDS! โค๏ธ
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

RIGHT ON!! PEACE Y'ALL โค๏ธ
Periodic Contributor

I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die--Country Joe & the Fish--"Well there ain't no time to wonder why...WHOOPEE we're all gonna die."  Seems appropriate with that INSANE finger on "the button"!

Periodic Contributor

"War" by Edwin Star, 1969

Regular Contributor

LISTEN UP, EVERYBODY...PEACE!
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

A followup: I will wince almost every time I see another addition, as will many people of my generation. Because yes, I should have added THAT song, too. As the Weavers said, "Wasn't That a Time"?

(Yes, another one. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Periodic Contributor

My all time favorite is Imagine by John Lennon. My favorite line "Imagine there's no borders ... it isn't hard to do."

Regular Contributor

perfect...I weep when I hear this and reflect..

Ohio by Crosby Stills Nash and Young

Contributor

Mercy Mercy Me Marvin Gaye

Regular Contributor

OMG...what memories!
0 Kudos
Contributor

We Can Be Together, Jefferson Airplane.

Silver Conversationalist

Once of the most beautifully rendered versions of "up against the wall, (YOU know), that you will ever find. May you be blessed, today.
Contributor

There are so many that I remember:  Simon & Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence; and

Peter Paul and Mary - Where Have All The Flowers Gone;  are two that come to mind. I remember doing a high school paper on One Tin Soldier too.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP