Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

Recognized Social Butterfly

PROTEST & REBELLION SONGS.."get it off your chest"

The only stipulation here is that the song should be commentary,  controversial, expressing a rebellious, protesting "frame of mind"; generally, or speciffically, about society, culture, economics, wealth, poverty, politics, war, peace, relationships, etc, etc, etc.

How about some songs which, when you heard them, you thought, "Yeh, those lyrics tell it like it is!" or maybe you were offended by the controversial lyrics.

Your song selection may be from any time period in history and about any topic you choose, old songs and new songs.

Please be free to post protest & rebellion songs which either you agreed with or which "honked" you off.

Here is an opportunity to "Get it off your chest!" Go ahead and briefly include memorable lyrics of the song if you like [ if you remember 🙂 ]

To begin.....here's a protest song:     Subterranean Homesick Blues     Bob Dylan

Merely OneTokeOTL
Social Butterfly

'THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND"- WOODY GUTHRIE
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

One of my favorites, it still brings tears when I hear it . . .

One Tin Soldier - from 1969 - The Original Caste

Omg   the movie  Billie Jack 

A part-Indian Vietnam veteran (Tom Laughlin) kicks around bigots who pick on his girlfriend's (Delores Taylor) so-called freedom school. wikipedia.org

@nyadrn - I never saw the movie, Billie Jack. After reading the link, I'm not sure that I want to. It sounds very violent and disturbing. Maybe the movie producers saw Billie Jack as the One Tin Soldier.

When the song was first released in 1969, it was part of the peace movement. The lyrics of the song have something of a religious undercurrent; not sure if that was intended or just my perception. It's the story of a peaceable kingdom of mountain people who offered to share their treasure with the valley people below. The valley people are greedy and want the treasure for themselves, so they kill the mountain people. When they proceed to claim their treasure, they find the words "peace on earth" was all it said. It really tugs at my heart strings! 

This was my senior year in high school. We sang this song a lot, and loved it!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

One of my favorites, it still brings tears when I hear it . . .

One Tin Soldier - from 1969 - The Original Caste

Omg   the movie  Billie Jack 

A part-Indian Vietnam veteran (Tom Laughlin) kicks around bigots who pick on his girlfriend's (Delores Taylor) so-called freedom school. wikipedia.org

@nyadrn - I never saw the movie, Billie Jack. After reading the link, I'm not sure that I want to. It sounds very violent and disturbing. Maybe the movie producers saw Billie Jack as the One Tin Soldier.

When the song was first released in 1969, it was part of the peace movement. The lyrics of the song have something of a religious undercurrent; not sure if that was intended or just my perception. It's the story of a peaceable kingdom of mountain people who offered to share their treasure with the valley people below. The valley people are greedy and want the treasure for themselves, so they kill the mountain people. When they proceed to claim their treasure, they find the words "peace on earth" was all it said. It really tugs at my heart strings! 

This was my senior year in high school. We sang this song a lot, and loved it!

The movie was violent but thought provoking.  The Indian school was run by a woman who was anti violence. The boys in town picked on the kids and raped her.  Billy Jack was a war hero returned but he cannot be the pacifist that she wants him to be and she cannot protect her students.  It was a good movie.  Part of the times.  The song was very appropriate. It is so sad.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

Sunday Bloody Sunday.  U2

OHIO     Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young  

"What if you knew her....."

On Friday, May 1st, 1970, myself, Allison B. Krause and approximately 20-30 other students were making anti-Vietnam war protest signs in Bowman Hall [the political science building] on the Kent State University campus in Ohio. Allison was a substantially long distance away from the Ohio National Guard unit, yet on Monday, May 4th,1970 a 13-second volley of 67 bullets fired into a crowd of unarmed students, took the life of Allison Krause.

I knew her. RIP

Merely OneTokeOTL
Honored Social Butterfly

@LookOverYonder wrote:

OHIO     Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young  

"What if you knew her....."

On Friday May 1st, 1970, myself, Allison B. Krause and approximately 20-30 other students were making anti-VietNam war protest signs in Bowman Hall [poli. sci. building] on the Kent State campus. Although on Monday May 4th she was a substantial long distance from the Ohio National Guard unit, their 13 second volley of 67 bullets into a crowd of unarmed students, took the life of Allison Krause.

I knew her.

What a powerful incident to live through 

Honored Social Butterfly

State  Of  The  Union   ==   Chicago

Kudos
Views

Dialogue     Chicago   1972

Merely OneTokeOTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Signs   ==   5  Man  Electrical  Band

Eve Of Destruction     Barry McGuire   #1 in 1965

Merely OneTokeOTL

IMAGINE     JOHN LENNON

Merely OneTokeOTL
Honored Social Butterfly

The Times They Are A-Changin'            Bob Dylan

Honored Social Butterfly

We're  Not  Gonna  Take  It   ==   The  Who

Face  The  Fire   ==   Dan  Fogelberg

Honored Social Butterfly

Fortunate Son   CCR

Honored Social Butterfly

Talkin'  'Bout  A  Revolution   ==   Tracy  Chapman

Lives In The Balance     Jackson Browne

Merely OneTokeOTL

Monster     Steppenwolf

"America, where are you now? Don't you care about your sons and daughters?

Don't you know we need you now, we can't fight alone against the monster."

Merely OneTokeOTL
Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

It  Better  End  Soon   ==   Chicago

Ohio   ==   CSNY

Honored Social Butterfly

World  Wide  Rebel  Songs   ==   Tom  Morello

Society's Child     Janis Ian

Merely OneTokeOTL
Honored Social Butterfly

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

War   ==   Edwin  Starr

WAR!!   HUH!   Good  God  Y'all

What  is  it  good  for!

Absolutely  Nothing!!

Regular Contributor

Yes I like that song too
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

"UNKNOWN SOLDIER"- THE DOORS
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Social Butterfly

"THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED"- GIL SCOTT HERRON. " "TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGIN'"_BOB DYLAN. I DON'T KNOW THE EXACT TITLE- BUT A MEMORABLE EXAMPLE BY COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Y0ekr-3So
Silver Conversationalist

@I4832601 That there piece by Country Joe and the Fish is "The Fixin' to Die Rag" - Oh, and the song's intro is something else, too. 😉
Have an amazing day
Silver Conversationalist

My all time favorite is 

The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Honored Social Butterfly

I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die-Rag   ==   Country  Joe &  The  Fish

Well  it's  one-two-three

What  are  we  fightin'  for

Don't  ask  me  I  don't  give  a  **bleep**

I'm  goin'  off  to  Vietnam!

Raise A Little Hell     Trooper   from 1978

Merely OneTokeOTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Annie Lennox  Sing

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP