Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

One Hit Wonders

September 25th was declared at National One Hit Wonder Day by music journalist Steve Rosen to commemorate songs that are often artist’s only claim to fame.  One hit wonders are songs that achieved great notoriety and fame, typically top 40 hit songs, by artists that never achieved future songs of such significant popularity.  

The title of the blog and playlist are a tribute to the Buggles and their song “Video Killed The Radio Star,” the first ever video featured on the then brand new network MTV.  It’s joked that video/MTV killed the Buggles, as the song is their only hit, their 5 minutes of fame.

The Marvel movie Guardians Of The Galaxy sets the bar for the most One Hit Wonder songs in one movie, with at least 10, including Come And Get Your Love, Hooked On A Feeling, Go All The Way, Spirit In The Sky, Fooled Around And Fell In Love, I’m Not In Love, Cherry Bomb, Escape, O-o-h Child, and Magic.

Live in the moment.  Enjoy the moment.  Love the moment.  Listen to the Music!

https://listentothemusicblog.com/video-killed-the-radio-star-celebration-of-one-hit-wonders/ 

Regular Contributor

How about "Radar Love "by Golden Earring.

Robinhood
Silver Conversationalist

Great topic!!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I like both lists but agree there are so many

more songs. These are a few I would add:

1,2,3 Redlight, 1910 Fruitgum Co

Tracy, Cufflinks

Chevy Van, Sammy Johns

Into the night, Benny Mardones

They don’t know, Tracey Ullman. I mean Paul

McCartney is in the video……..🎼💜

Conversationalist

Tracy Ullman's on there...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry, my bad 😎

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

The 50 Best One-Hit Wonders of All Time - ( as of 9-20-2020 )

------>  The 50 Best One-Hit Wonders of All Time — Best Life (bestlifeonline.com)

1 -   For anyone who has seen the movie "Silence of the Lamb' - the infamous song  'Goodbye Horses' by Q Lazzarus...

--->  Q Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses - Original 1987 Video - YouTube

2 -  'Dirty Cash'  by Stevie V

---->  Adventures Of Stevie V - Dirty Cash (Money Talks) (Official Video) - YouTube

3 -  An ordinary teenage girl can give us 'Friday" by Rebecca Black

--->  Rebecca Black - Friday (No Rap) [Single Version] - YouTube

4 -  '96 Tears' by Question Mark and the Mysterians - some consider the first 'garage band'

---->  96 Tears (Question Mark The Mysterians) Live (2015) - YouTube

😎  *   (  the music group  'A-ha is listed as an one-hit wonder with their song 'Take On Me' ; but they did later chart well with a James Bond movie theme song of - 'The Living Daylights'

---->  The Living Daylights (song) - Wikipedia      

5 -  ----->   a-ha - The Living Daylights (Album Version) - YouTube

I actually like this song.  😄

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Both playlists have some really good songs. However, there are a few that I’d rather never hear again, lol. I can think of a few more from the 60’s, that fit that category so I won’t bother to mention them. 😉There is one though, that I would add, and that’s You Were On My Mind, the Ian & Sylvia cover by We Five. I think that was their only hit. 

I would think Blind Faith might show up on you next list, as their self-titled album went platinum, and had world wide success. I think Presence of the Lord also charted. Every song on side one is fairly well known because of the album. They pretty much imploded before they could create any other new music. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Great playlist it could go on forever.I would have added In The Year 2525 and Israelites. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Ashton, Gardner & Dyke - Resurrection Shuffle (1971)

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP