Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 25

For those with an instrument in the closet or maybe you always wanted to learn to play an instrument - check out New Horizons International Music Association.    There are bands, orchestras, choral groups all over the country.   You must be over 50 to join the groups.   Haven't played for years - they don't care.   You will walk in and find other people that haven't played for years - took the gamble and now they can't imagine not playing again.   

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 25

@EileenV703083 Lean on me has been

one of my most fav songs of all time.

Appropriate for so many of life’s rough

moments. Amazing that a song from
1972 is still appropriate 48 
years later.
The video was awesome!
Thank you so much for sharing!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 25

Having learned to read prior to beginning school, expectations for me with regard to learning were always quite high. And, frankly, if academic success required either reading or math skills, I was capable of pleasing parents and others easily. This brought me great stress, when other things I wish to learn did not come easy. This is where music enters. As is the case with most everyone, I love the enjoyment of music. However, playing or composing music is not a skill that I seem to gravitate to naturally. This means that music has the ability to bring me great joy, or also great anxiety as I try to play or sing. At the same time, it allows the frightened little boy in me, who still tries to impress others, to develop humility and experience the joy of learning, even at a very slow pace. Simply put, music is wonderful for me!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 25

A couple of years ago, I asked myself, "So, is that it?" My son had enjoyed a wonderful music experience in high school and then in various alternative rock bands, but then he moved out of state, and I lost that final connection with live music. Fortunately, an ad popped up on my Facebook screen asking, "Do you like singing in the car? Singing in the shower? Even if you can't read music..." I read on, and the more I read, the more intrigued I became. Rock Voices USA has brought me back to singing, performing and sharing music with a whole new family. As I was reading this invitation to join the group, a section called, "Meet our Directors" popped up, and there she was, my son's show choir director was now directing my local branch of Rock Voices! And that was the clincher, I joined and never looked back. During this time of COVID-19, our Lead Director, Tony Lechner, very wisely shut down our in-person rehearsals. But without skipping a beat, we have become a virtual choir, learning a bit along the way about modern technology. Rock Voices is self-funded through tuition fees, donations, and fundraisers. We help each other out, and we give back to our communties and local schools in meaningful ways. I am fulfilled on so many levels! We recently released our first combined virtual choir song, Lean on Me by Bill Withers. LEAN ON ME is finished! Congratulations to all participants. Please share widely! https://youtu.be/c9xgRtWU5R4

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 25

Music has always been with me since growing up.  It energizes me in the morning and relaxes me in the evening.  Music is the language that transcends all barriers.  I could not even imagine life without it.  So I will continue to Dance Like Noone Is Watching...or Even If They Do.  💃🕺 🙂

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 25

I grew up with the rock music of the 1970s and ‘80s and by about 2010 I felt that it was all dead. Rock was hard to find and I was tired of listening to the same things yet again.

That changed one night about 3 years ago. I found a YouTube video of a young musician giving a TEDx presentation at the University of Nevada, and she said:

“You can’t deny that there’s always that one song that makes you happy just by listening to it, or give you courage when you need it. Music is that one companion that will always be there through everything. The one who will know exactly how you’re feeling. Music is passion. Music is hope. Music is life.”

I know I couldn’t have said it better myself. That young musician is Daniela Villarreal of The Warning, and she was all of 16 years old at the time. If you have been missing rock music, then look her band up. She and her younger sisters have 2 albums and an LP out as independents and just signed a 5-album deal with Republic/Lava Records.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 25

I remember getting up Saturday morning going downstairs to the kitchen with my younger sister and brother, bring our record player, listening to music. Also, hanging out in the back room with two of my older brothers listen to The Rolling Stones, Cream, ELO, and a lot of 70's music. I love music. It relaxes me, it makes me want to just sit and listen. I play in loud in my car on my way to work, because it just makes everything seem better. I try to listen to  it more, now since I work at home. When I driving out of town, its what I want to listen too! I love all types of music. Just some stuff I haven't gotten use too. I love music soundtracks, movie scores, too. I just makes me feel good. When I hear songs that I grew up with, it brings back some many memories, and sometimes I just think back when or where I was when that song came out!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 25
My earliest memories are of my mother singing the songs she enjoyed as she drove us various places. Later I began guitar lessons which I did OK at but not as well as I had hoped. A few years later my mother, after a divorce, bought the Music store that I had taken lessons at. At the age of 12 I became chief clerk & learned a little about a lot of instruments! All of that was left behind when she married the Piano Tuner who moved us from Arizona to Wisconsin. Influenced by him I became a Piano Tuner/Technician and have for 51 years and still going tuned, repaired and occasionally condemned the ones beyond hope, pianos of all types, sizes, brands, etc. Best part of the job is the kids who will play a piece they are working on for me when I finish. I also get paid to sit through concerts for intermission touch up! I know tough job, right? I get asked if I have a favorite type of music, I have found I enjoy it all except rap/hip hop which in my opinion isn't music. Chanting words with no tune doesn't fit the definition of music, hip hop is an attempt to make rap music that fails. I grew up listening to rock music but I have expanded my listening to classical, country, jazz, blues, show tunes and much more. I pay for Sirius/Xm so I can have a variety to listen to as the mood strikes me. How about you?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 25

This actually seems to be my point of distress in my COVID life.

I belong to my church choir and a German folk-singing group, both of which have been interrupted by the seclusion of quarantine.  No rehearsals, no get-togethers, no performances....

I feel like my entire musical self is fading away.  

Music has been such a huge part of my life.  I come from a very musical family and have been singing since grade school in some group or another.  I have a local radio station set as a wake-up alarm and listen to it for the first few hours I am awake, my coffee and thinking time.  I've actually started turning it off almost immediately, now.  I started "rehearsing" my German music with You Tube videos, but that has also lost its lustre.

I know things will get better and I just have to be patient.  I am in touch with my doctors and confide in them honestly.

My prayer life is my anchor right now, and I pray for all those like me and worse off than me to get through this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Sopranogardener

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 25

Very cool set there - I played drums and all other percussion from the time I was old enough to hold the sticks!! My dad taught drum lessons and played in dance bands to symphony orchestras and I followed in his footsteps! At 82, my snare drum sits in my apartment for me to bang away whenever the spirit moves me!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors