Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MTV Turns 40 - What do you remember?

Community Manager
Community Manager

MTV Turns 40 - What do you remember?

AARP's Studios team put together a great video of iconic songs from MTV.  Give your brain a workout and watch the video and let us know what you remember about the beginning of MTV -

AARPTeri
Honored Social Butterfly

Cruel to be kind, Nick Lowe. Although this song

was released in 1978, it was one of the first 

videos on MTV. It is a combo of footage from 

his actual wedding to Carlene Carter, who is

Johnny Cash’s stepdaughter and a humorous 

re-enactment of the actual wedding. Dave 

Edmunds, among others, are in the video.

Part of the actual reception is also shown.

Filming for the video took so long that he

was actually late to his real wedding.

Always one of my fav tunes of the 70’s 🎼💜

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I came of age in the 80s. When I was 13, my parents got cable with HBO for the first time. No longer did we need to get up to change the channel. MTV was a big part of my life in those formative years. I thought Michael Jackson's extended "Thriller" video was groundbreaking. My friends and I all crushed on Ola Ray. By way of animation, Dire Straits' "Money For Nothing" and Norwegian Synth fave A-ha's "Take On Me" also captured my imagination. MTV also introduced the world to artists from Europe and Australia like Men At Work's "Down Under" which is still a favorite of mine; German beauty Nena's "Neunundneunzig Luftballons (99 Balloons)," Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus" and "Der Kommissar." I can go on and on, but I will save that for another post.

Bronze Conversationalist

The video for "Take On Me" by A-ha was unbelievably well done, plus the song is great.

Honored Social Butterfly

I don't remember a lot, really! By the 80's, I was so busy working, taking some night classes, and doing other things that I didn't have time for MTV. I do remember when some videos would come out and cause controversy. I think Madonna was often on the receiving end, and she loved it! That sold records! Now that stuff is so mild by things we see today on live tv. LOL. Now that I'm retired, I've enjoyed watching some of those old videos. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

OMG I spent TONS of time on MTV! I was

hooked and I was in my 20’s when it

premiered! I also remember the first

video by the Buggles. I also developed

a love and bought tons of albums from

artists I saw on there. MTV was great

for the music industry. Here are just a

few of my favs:

EVERYTHING by Fleetwood Mac

Girls just want to have fun, Cyndi Lauper

Money for nothing, Dire Straits (Gives a nod 

to MTV in the lyrics, Groundbreaking)

Thriller, Michael Jackson (Also groundbreaking)

Goodbye to you, Scandal

Take on me, a-ha (Also groundbreaking)

EVERYTHING by Madonna

The list could go on! Ah, good times…..

Honored Social Butterfly

There is controversy over which black artist first appeared on MTV.

Some claim it was Prince with Purple Rain while others insist it was Michael Jackson's Beat It.

There is no doubt though that Michael's Thriller album opened the doors for others to follow.

Honored Social Butterfly

I remember the first Music Video: 

Video Killed The Radio Star:  The Buggles

Silver Conversationalist

Great clip @AARPTeri! I especially liked the end: “I want my…”. I was in my teens when MTV was started and I particularly remember it being continuous non-stop music videos, unlike today’s ‘music television’ stations. Oh the 80s…

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP