Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Let’s Hear It for the Drummer

So far, we’ve done frontmen, guitar solos, piano, sax, and harmonica parts. But you just can’t rock without a drummer to roll with. So let’s hear it for your favorite drummers and the songs you like with best drums. It can be a drum solo, or a song with great drumming and fills and thrills. (Sorry, I don’t know the technical terms. ☹️ ) Your song and your drummer, so go for it!  

My first pick does include a solo, and one of the best I’ve ever heard -

The Kids Are Alright  -  The Who

with the incomparable Keith Moon

https://youtu.be/BRCw9qmG12M

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Star Gazer  -  Rainbow / Cozy Powell

Cozy Powell played with numerous bands and artists, but I knew him best from the Rainbow years. He was an extraordinary drummer and this song is a good example. Another artist gone too soon, RIP Cozy.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Start me up, Stones, Charlie Watts

He’s great no matter what but on this

high voltage song he’s exceptional  🎼💜

Honored Social Butterfly

Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles / Ringo

His ability to adapt to the ever changing whims of Lennon & McCartney’s songwriting and experimental elements was extraordinary. I don’t know what he does to get the rolling heavy sounding bass at the chorus, but it’s perfect! 

Silver Conversationalist

Cant remember his name but the drummer for the E Street band backing up Springsteen. He plays barefoot and is as smooth as silk. Also Don Henley of the Eagles.. Very smooth,no wasted motion..  Great topic !!!!

Social Butterfly

That would be Max Weinberg.

Social Butterfly

"Toad" - Cream with Ginger Baker on drums

Amazing solo. This link is a video of the last Cream  concert at the Royal Albert Hall 2005. Ginger Baker had COPD, heart problems and degenerative arthritis. (RIP 2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gze0PxDKgQ 

Bronze Conversationalist

Instant Karma by John Lennon. Alan White on drums. Classic!

Honored Social Butterfly

Fireball - Deep Purple / Ian Paice

A good example of why he became a leading influence on both heavy metal and progressive metal drummers. 
https://youtu.be/NLWx7lSZw-c

Trusted Social Butterfly

Wow.  This one has so much range. 

John Bonham has to be mentioned.  Led Zeppelin's cover of the Gospel Blues classic Nobody's Fault But Mine is a pretty good example of how his drumming was, at the same time, captivating in itself, and complimentary to the song as a whole.

Honored Social Butterfly

I’m just a singer (In a rock and roll band)

Moody Blues, Graeme Edge

In the video, all of them are working it!

Graeme’s drumming is just amazing 🎼💜

Regular Social Butterfly

Great topic!

For me it's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" - Iron Butterfly with 2 and a half minute solo by drummer Ron Bushy; this was our fav "teen town" dance record back in the day; wish I could still move like that 😉

Next, I'd have to pick Dave Grohl in his nerd days; in the future Ms Nandi Bushell will be THE ONE!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Social Butterfly

La Villa Strangiato - Rush -  Neil Peart (RIP)

Best for guitars, drummer and instrumental. Listen to it a lot, especially the live concerts when they have aged a bit (as I have 😊 ) since the first recording.

Honored Social Butterfly

Stand back, Live, Fleetwood Mac

Mick Fleetwood (of course)

All three times I’ve seen them they do this

song towards the end and Mick rules

on the drums! 🎼💜

Social Butterfly

A Day in the Life-Ringo Starr

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP