When it comes to your workout, there are good reasons not to go it alone. Check out the benefits of exercise buddies.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Led Zeppelin And The Super Bowl

Message 1 of 18

Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones have made it pretty clear there will be NO reunion, but of course, the rumors... hopes... persist. I saw Led Zep back in '72 right before John Bonham died. That's the way I want to remember Led Zep.

And getting back to the Super Bowl. It always sort of befuddled me why British bands played halftime at a quintessential American sport. I mean this isn't football as the rest of the world knows it -- soccer. It's some crazy sport no one else but Americans understand.

I am an American football and proud of it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

re: Led Zeppelin And The Super Bowl

Message 2 of 18
In Response to post:

Hi Diane,

Yes it would be with Paul Rodgers.

I go back a long way with Paul.

Free, Bad Company. What memories!

I have a DVD with Paul with Queen. They  ROCK!

Paul is no Freddie, but he is the next best

thing. He does a great job on the vocals.

The show was in a stadium and he pulled it off.

TX

Yes he had a good run with Queen and is a great singer in his own right..  so that would work for me.  I wonder if they would be interested?

While I am thinking about this, what is Rob Halford doing?

or heck;  how about a metal show..  : )

Diane

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18
In Response to post:

Okay then

Hopefully those superbowl producers are listening...   AC/DC  rocks!

Meanwhile,  Queen... Freddie was stadium rock.. boy it is so hard to think of Queen without him,  but they would do a great job as well.. although  would that be with Paul Rodgers?  : )

Diane

Hi Diane,

Yes it would be with Paul Rodgers.

I go back a long way with Paul.

Free, Bad Company. What memories!

I have a DVD with Paul with Queen. They  ROCK!

Paul is no Freddie, but he is the next best

thing. He does a great job on the vocals.

The show was in a stadium and he pulled it off.

TX

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18
In Response to post:

Hi Diane,

I agree. What is beter than AC/DC with stadium rock.

It is a perfect match. What about the revised Queen?

TX

Okay then

Hopefully those superbowl producers are listening...   AC/DC  rocks!

Meanwhile,  Queen... Freddie was stadium rock.. boy it is so hard to think of Queen without him,  but they would do a great job as well.. although  would that be with Paul Rodgers?  : )

Diane

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18
In Response to post:

Hi

I have seen neither Chicago nor the Moody Blues in recent years.  Will have to look at youtube but why not have them at the Superbowl.. 

Everything about artistic production whether music or artwork  etc is subjective and since there is no clear bar of achievement, there will always be conflict and differneces in the review of any works..  LOL  how did you like that. It is impossible to tell what will happen with the Rock Hall..    Same goes for these shows  and I will tell you one thing;  groups like The Who have nothing to prove.  Their past accomplishments say it all... maybe being at the Superbowl is not that big of a thing eh?  : )   I mean I could imagine  Pink Floyd up there and then I would think  why? 

There more I thnk about it.  why not AC/DC?  I mean think about stadium rock : )

Hi Diane,

I agree. What is beter than AC/DC with stadium rock.

It is a perfect match. What about the revised Queen?

TX

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18
In Response to post:

Hi,

I think he was right on the money, I must be honest and say I have never been a Who fan,but that show was a mess.

He might be right about Plant too, happy doing his own thing and living in reality, he is stll musically active in a different way.  I really rather keep the memory of the young  rocker Plant than take the chance that he would burst my bubble if he couldn`t cut it.

You know it kind  of like when I look in the mirror, and say "Who the heck is that," still feel like the old me inside only not so in reality.

Luisa

Hi Luisa

I definately think he is right about Plant...   he has made his musical decisions known .. has a new solo album coming out and if it is not about the money then it is about what he wants to do.. and I say hey..  it is his right.. which does not mean that I would not give my eye teeth for a reunion.. I think I have mentioned that LOL

Just think that we should realize that the superbowl is just a big sports event and not a good venue for many of these bands  and the show producers are alot to blame for the performance issues..

So they need to do a better job  and The Who can sell out tons of good venues for their own shows and we all would be happier  LOL

Diane

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18
In Response to post:

Hi Diane,

I agree. The Who are no longer the Who of yesteryear.

Two are dead and the remaining two , let's face it, they

ARE TOO OLD to still be doing this. It was demonstrated

bigtime at the Bowl game. There are

two active super groups that are still performing

at near career level. CHICAGO and THE MOODY

BLUES. Both of these groups would return some

of the much needed class to the Bowl. I have seen both

of them recently, amazing! They can still sing, play and

rock with the best of them. This is a no brainer.  Yet,

still neither is in the Hall of Fame.

TX

Hi

I have seen neither Chicago nor the Moody Blues in recent years.  Will have to look at youtube but why not have them at the Superbowl.. 

Everything about artistic production whether music or artwork  etc is subjective and since there is no clear bar of achievement, there will always be conflict and differneces in the review of any works..  LOL  how did you like that. It is impossible to tell what will happen with the Rock Hall..    Same goes for these shows  and I will tell you one thing;  groups like The Who have nothing to prove.  Their past accomplishments say it all... maybe being at the Superbowl is not that big of a thing eh?  : )   I mean I could imagine  Pink Floyd up there and then I would think  why? 

There more I thnk about it.  why not AC/DC?  I mean think about stadium rock : )

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18
In Response to post:

You are right..  some can maintain the look or aura or image  or whatever and some chose to take other paths with the memories intact.

Sigh

As long as they can still sing than I say go for it.  Sure they look older but then so are we and face it some of them didn't look that good to begin with.  In the case of The Who though I think Roger Daltrey's voice was weak.  On the bright side the light show was awesome.  I thought Pete Townshend looked like he escaped from a nursing home.  They should definitely hang it up.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18
In Response to Led Zeppelin And The Super Bowl :

February 9, 2010

www.realrocknews.com/led-zeppelin-and-the-super-bowl/">Led Zeppelin And The Super Bowl

Filed under: www.realrocknews.com/category/classic-rock-news/">Classic Rock News , www.realrocknews.com/category/led-zeppelin/">Led Zeppelin — Real Rock News @ 10:57 am

The headline may seem a bit disjointed – okay, maybe very disjointed, but the whole Super Bowl thing featuring what’s left of The Who got me thinking about some of our favorite aging rockers and whether or not they should still be rocking, or in the case of The Who, attempting to rock.

Before I continue, let me pay homage to The Who. Yeah, I may have ripped on their Super Bowl gig, but despite any protestations from dedicated “Whooligans,” it really was a lackluster performance, and may just be the wakeup call that the NFL needed.

Yeah, you bet your **** I’m a classic rock fan, but the NFL should stick with the ones that can still put on a decent show for a high profile gig like the Super Bowl. That’s one seriously large audience.

Anyway, having already stated that I’ve never been a fan of The Who, there is no denying their legacy and their place among the most influential classic rock groups. I never cared much for their songwriting, but the boys could play. Their shows were probably some of the most dynamic and energetic of their era. And that’s exactly why they should not have tried to recapture their past by agreeing to perform at the Super Bowl.

There simply are some things you can no longer pull off at the age of 65 (note for nitpickers: I know Townshend is not quite 65 yet, but give him about 3 months), and as a performer, you should be aware of that. How can one possibly capture the energy that was poured into the kind of show that The Who was known for when one is eligible for Social Security, or in this case, considered a “pensioner.” Obviously, one cannot.

That brings me to Led Zeppelin. More specifically to Robert Plant. There was a lot of anticipation prior to their show at the O2 in London at the end of 2007. Many fans wondered if it would be the start if something big. Would the remaining members of the group reunite for a world tour? Would they record again? Was this it?

Following the O2 show — which by most accounts was a great success — the rumors and speculation intensified. Stories of Led Zeppelin products being cranked out at manufacturing facilities in Asia, and media reports indicating that the band was preparing for a tour had many people convinced that we were on the brink of the long-awaited Led Zeppelin reunion.

Looking back, it appears that Robert Plant may simply be too smart to play along. As much as guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones may want to relive their past, they would not be facing the same kind of pressure Plant would be dealing with.

Sure, it may not be a cake walk to tour when you are in your sixties, but it’s got to be much less physically demanding to stand on stage and play guitar or bass than it would be to belt out “Heartbreaker” for the world to see.

Although many felt that the success of the O2 show may have signaled a green light for a Led Zeppelin reunion, it may have signaled something entirely different for Robert Plant. Perhaps something along the lines of, “Good Lord, I’m glad I don’t have to do that every day.”

We’re all in the same boat, I’m afraid. While we may be able to stay up and party all night when we are in our teens, twenties or thirties, for the vast majority of us, that becomes less possible as we start easing into out fifties and sixties. We age and there’s no way to stop it, save for one, but few of us care to entertain that option.

What’s been preventing Robert Plant from agreeing to a reunion? Probably common sense, and a good understanding of his own physical limitations. He’s obviously enjoyed working with Alison Krauss, and they have had great success, even earning themselves five Grammy Awards.

He’s having a good time, he’s still singing, and he probably doesn’t need the money that he’d take in from a Led Zeppelin tour. He’s still Robert Plant – front man for one of the world’s best-known rock bands of all time. Why risk tarnishing his reputation by hitting the road and trying to recapture his youth?

I think there’s a good chance that Plant has made up his mind that he’s not willing to take that risk. And if he saw the Super Bowl half time show, he’s probably more convinced than ever.

www.realrocknews.com/">http://www.realrocknews.com/

Daltrey: I Didn’t Enjoy Who Super Bowl Show

mdome
/

www.classicrockmagazine.com/category/news/" style="" title="View all posts in News">
News

/ 12/02/2010 11:26am

www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/roger-daltrey-i-didnt-enjoy-who-super-bowl-show/" style="" title="Daltrey: I Didn't Enjoy Who Super Bowl Show">
www.classicrockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/WhosNextFront.jpg" width="122" />

While there’s been a
mixed reaction to The Who’s performance at the Super Bowl
in Miami last Sunday, one man was very unhappy with it all
– Roger Daltrey.

Talking to ESPN, the vocalist
said: “It didn’t even feel like a concert…
it’s a television show. And what can you do in 12 minutes?
I thought it went OK.

“I understand. It’s
a TV show. Cameras were everywhere. I was so blinded that I
couldn’t see. And I really wished the crowd would have
gotten into singing the songs with us more. That’s how it
is in Europe for our soccer matches. I wanted more banter.”

Daltrey’s feelings were
echoed by Pete Townshend, who was disappointed by the lack of cheerleaders.

Talking to Rolling
Stone
, the guitarist said: “There wasn’t a
single cheerleader. Not anywhere. It was terrible. There are lot
of girls who’ve said: ‘I used to be a cheerleader
once.’ But as hard as you try to persuade them, they
won’t do it again.”

Regarding the brevity of The
Who’s set, Townshend added: “A couple of people said
to me they could have done with more Who and less football.”

www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/roger-daltrey-i-didnt-enjoy-who-super-bowl-show/">http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/roger-daltrey-i-didnt-enjoy-who-super-bowl-show/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18
In Response to post:

I think it depends on the artist.  Bruce Springsteen is 60 years old and no one rocks harder.  He still plays for some 3 hours or more and rocks the house.  I also think the Rolling Stones still have it going on as well.

You are right..  some can maintain the look or aura or image  or whatever and some chose to take other paths with the memories intact.

Sigh

Kudos
Views