Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

June Celebrates Black Music

140384_manual_preview_Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 12.41.48 PM.png

In 1979, President Jimmy Carter decreed that June would be the month of Black music in recognition of Black music's extraordinary contributions to American culture. This month, AARP proudly celebrates Black Music Month—a time to recognize and applaud the rich impact of African American music on our country’s history. Which black musicians have most influenced your love of music?

Trusted Social Butterfly

...been listening to Zydeco music since childhood.  Zydeco music is integral to Bayou culture so before the month is out, gotta mention Queen Ida and Buckwheat Zydeco.  Two among many who have shared wonderful sounds with the world.

Regular Contributor

This one's in my playlist, and I secretly sing along whenever I hear it. It's "Alabama Bound" by Leadbelly.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Babe Face

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

@ib24994577  He is a man Whip Appeal is one of his songs. Listen to it tell me you like it 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

oh! you mean Babyface?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm not familiar with Babe Face - can you tell me one of his / her songs?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

a.k.a. Babyface. a.k.a. Kenneth Brian Edmonds @ib24994577 

0 Kudos

Hands down, Michael Jackson, & all those before him. Gladys Knight, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Teddy Pender grass, Harold Melvin, etc.

@AARPLynne wrote:

140384_manual_preview_Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 12.41.48 PM.png

In 1979, President Jimmy Carter decreed that June would be the month of Black music in recognition of Black music's extraordinary contributions to American culture. This month, AARP proudly celebrates Black Music Month—a time to recognize and applaud the rich impact of African American music on our country’s history. Which black musicians have most influenced your love of music?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The band Living Colour deserves a spot on this list for their funky, punky metal fusion, poingnant lyrics and staying power.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

The genius, Ray Charles!

Super Contributor

Kirk Whalum, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Billie Holiday, The Pointer Sisters - this list could go on and on.

Contributor

My first  and foremost memory of Black Music was from my oldest sister playing a single by "Little Stevie Wonder". This was back in the early '60s. The song was "Fingertips, Part 1 & 2".  Being older than me, I asked her to also teach me how to dance like she was doing to the record. This single was my portal of introduction to Black Music! Black Music has been a very part of my life ever since then. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

James Brown, he's a real showman!! Love watching him sing.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

First one I remember was the Jackson 5. There were others; I just didn't know they were black at the time. I wondered what the fuss about the Osmonds was all about; I was into the Jackson 5.

And, there were the Spinners, 5th Dimension, Supremes, and Donny Hathaway & Roberta Flack's "Where Is The Love". Cornelius Bros & Sister Rose's "Too Late To Turn Back Now".

Isley Bros, and Ben E King with Spanish Harlem and Stand By Me.

Periodic Contributor

The "LP" "Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5" was the first album I ever bought, then went on to buy, and enjoy, all of their and MJ's solo albums. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Stevie Wonder, Carlos Santana -- to name a few. 

Duke Ellington, Johnny Hodges, Nat King Cole, Johnnie Mathis, Harry Belafonte, Diahann Carroll, Nancy Wilson, Leontyne Pricce, Natalie Cole, Sarah Vaughan, Shirley Bassey, Wes Montgomery

Contributor

My favorites are Smoky Robinson, Johnie Taylor and all the Motown singers and especially the Temptations. I also love my old black gospels. Best music ever. 

Silver Conversationalist

I have to agree with rebel3 , TINA TURNER WAS AND STILL IS INCREDIBLE. WATCHING HER SING PROUD MARY IN CONCERT IS PURE JOY!!!

Regular Social Butterfly

For me, a "child of the sixties", it has ALWAYS been (and will always be) Jimi, Jim, Janis, Aretha, and Otis... noted not all 5 were Black, but imho, all 5 got "it". Blues being the quintessential "Black" genre, I felt so much soul from all 5 singer/songwriter/musicians! I still feel it today every time I listen to any of their songs (daily).

There are so many who have followed, but to me, these are the definition of "Black music".

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Periodic Contributor

I loved (and still do) disco.  It's not just the singers, but also the live music/the bands that accompanied them.  So many great performers: Chaka Khan, The Ohio Players, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Tavares ... 

I've always loved Stevie Wonder.  Had all his albums.   Gladys Knight and the pips were a fave too, also Marvin Gaye.   I just purchased postage stamps with Marvin on them.

Honored Social Butterfly

My parents liked Nat King Cole. They never missed his tv show, and also played his records. My favorite song was Ramblin' Rose🌹  ❤️

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

I grew up listening to Ray Charles as he was

one of my Moms favorites. My love for his

music grew from my Mom so I thank her for

the gift of his music 🎼💜

Contributor

Ray was my brother's favorite and he became mine.  I eventually saw him live four times.

Contributor

George Clinton/Parliment Funkadelic

That's it!!!!

Conversationalist

So many! Some favorites:

Bill Withers — "Lovely Day"

Billy Preston — "Nothing from Nothing" 

Chuck Berry — "Route 66"

Pharrell Williams — "Happy" 

Donna Summer — "Last Dance" 

Nat King Cole — "Mona Lisa"

Ray Charles — "Georgia on My Mind"

Etta James — "At Last" 

Donna Summer — Theme from "Mahogany"

...and my favorite doo-wop song of all, 

The Flamingos with "I Only Have Eyes For You."  [Link takes you to YouTube.]

Social Butterfly

Little Anthony, Al Green, Temptations Chuck Berry too many to name and of course the greatest guitar player Jimi left us too soon. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Gladys Knight & The Pips, The 5th Dimension, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, and I loved, loved, loved Little Richard!!  When he was on Ed Sullivan, I was parked right in front of the TV. We simply wouldn't have R&R without Little Richard! May he forever RIP.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP