Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

June Celebrates Black Music

140384_manual_preview_Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 12.41.48 PM.png

In 1979, President Jimmy Carter decreed that June would be the month of Black music in recognition of Black music's extraordinary contributions to American culture. This month, AARP proudly celebrates Black Music Month—a time to recognize and applaud the rich impact of African American music on our country’s history. Which black musicians have most influenced your love of music?

Honored Social Butterfly

How did I forget to mention Aretha, The Queen of Soul!!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

The Four Tops "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" was the first Motown 45 that got me into checking out the Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Chi-lites, and many more. I was 9 when that song came out and played on AM radio and I loved it and still do. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The major influences for me were the vocal harmonies of Doo-Wop and the Motown & Memphis sounds. My favorite Motown artists were the Temptations and Martha & Vandellas. The Memphis sound included Sam & Dave and Otis Redding.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Wow, let’s see we’ll Ten City black musicians does it for me. There voice and there is always a message. Sweetheart the best part is you can Dance 💃 to it.   2021 Black coffee listen to them

Racquel Evans
Honored Social Butterfly

Thinking on this topic leads to me to the

Motown sound. And that leads me to one

of my favorite groups The Four Tops. 

have always loved them since the 60’s.

Their sound with the incredible Levi

Stubbs (RIP) on lead vocals has kept me 

listening to them to this day 🎼💜

Periodic Contributor

Agree. Levi Stubbs was incredible. Personally, Whitney Houston's cover of "I Believe in You and Me" never really did it for me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tina Turner, What's Love Got To Do With It! Strong black lady walked away from abuse from hubbie Ike Turner. As an African American Woman, I use Tina as an inspiration for myself and adult daughter. Thank you so much for posting this @AARPLynne 👌

Periodic Contributor

Definitely Tina!  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP